My 722 calls "home" more than 12 times a day!

I use Vonage for phone of a solid Fios internet connection and the Dish modems have no problem. I believe, however, that I have read posts from VOIP users having problems that were solved using a suffix on the dialed number or similar... you may find something with search.

Some VOIP services do need to have a prefix in order to dial out properly. For example, Vonage used (I think it still uses) *99 as a prefix

Some VOIP services do need to have a prefix in order to dial out properly. For example, Vonage used (I think it still uses) *99 as a prefix
As I said, I use Vonage and no prefix is needed for my 622 and 722k.

Doing a little homework suggests that years ago Vonage would have needed a 99 prefix and also years ago dialing 911 from a Vonage line might not allow the operator to "see" your actual location. With Vonage those problems do not currently exist.

Again, no prefix needed with my 622 or 722k receivers on my Vonage line.

Last edited:
Matt, I saw these posts and tried it already, unfortunately still call out Failure! I also read somewhere about inserting a DSL filter in line and that didn't work either.

Any other ideas? Is it possible that the receiver is defective? I really would like to keep the phone line connected.

Matt, I saw these posts and tried it already, unfortunately still call out Failure! I also read somewhere about inserting a DSL filter in line and that didn't work either.

Any other ideas? Is it possible that the receiver is defective? I really would like to keep the phone line connected.

Try disconnecting the phone line, Hard reset the receiver, let it reboot, reconnect the phone line, and run the dial out test again

upsss said:
My 722 still has difficulties calling "home", it dialed 12 times in the last 24 hours. At least now it is calling the right number, (866) 363-7172. If I do the Diagnostic Test, Call Out, it dials (866) 366-8634 and I get call out FAILURE.

I tried dialing manually both numbers and it connects fine, although it takes about 10 seconds until I hear the response tones (don't know if that is normal) and my phone log shows each attempted call to last only 5 seconds. BTW, I am using VOIP and the receiver displays incoming Caller IDs without any problems.

You song mention what VOIP service u use but there is a possibility that your service is the problem. I do know that it is near impossible to send a fax over VOIP. Obviously some subs don't have a problem using VONAGE for phone based data connections, but maybe other services don't have what it takes.
What service r u using?

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

You song mention what VOIP service u use but there is a possibility that your service is the problem. I do know that it is near impossible to send a fax over VOIP. Obviously some subs don't have a problem using VONAGE for phone based data connections, but maybe other services don't have what it takes.
What service r u using?

Ross

I can send a fax fine with my Comcast Digital Voice. It is VOIP but over Comcast's private network. My Dish receivers also call home successfully over it.

You can actually notify both Vonage and Comcast to provision any of their phone lines for additional bandwidth for faxes. We have true VOIP phones at our five of our offices, but use Comcast analog lines from Comcast telephony modems [Comcast VOIP] for all of the faxes because true, direct, VOIP adapters simply do not work with faxes.

We have no problems with any of our fax machines.

You can actually notify both Vonage and Comcast to provision any of their phone lines for additional bandwidth for faxes. We have true VOIP phones at our five of our offices, but use Comcast analog lines from Comcast telephony modems [Comcast VOIP] for all of the faxes because true, direct, VOIP adapters simply do not work with faxes. ...
In the case of Vonage this is an additional cost. I'm not sure how we all got off onto faxes, but with Vonage there is no need to do anything in order to get a 622 or 722k to dial out and report. No prefix, no filter, no nothing.

In the case of Vonage this is an additional cost. I'm not sure how we all got off onto faxes, but with Vonage there is no need to do anything in order to get a 622 or 722k to dial out and report. No prefix, no filter, no nothing.

I referenced the faxes because both the Dish Network units, faxes and modems all require additional bandwidth and having a VOIP line from Vonage provisioned as a fax line will pass the bandwidth. In the cast of Comcast, if you order a standard phone line from Comcast and use it for fax or data only it automatically comes with call waiting and voice mail.

If you want a Comcast line to be used for faxes only, then it needs to be ordered as such and will be provisioned without call waiting or voice mail.

I referenced the faxes because both the Dish Network units, faxes and modems all require additional bandwidth and having a VOIP line from Vonage provisioned as a fax line will pass the bandwidth ...
And what I've tried to explain to you that a residential Vonage line not provisioned as a fax line will also pass the Dish Network Call home with "No prefix, no filter, no nothing."

Kapeesh?

And what I've tried to explain to you that a residential Vonage line not provisioned as a fax line will also pass the Dish Network Call home with "No prefix, no filter, no nothing."

Kapeesh?

I understood you the first time, but we have not found that Vonage works that way. When our residential dedicated fax line was not working with HIGH=SPEED FAXES, we called Vonage and they had to go into the Vonage Linksys VOIP interface and make a configuration change to that Linksys device to make the fax pass the high-speed faxes.

It did NOT work without having to contact Vonage and having them specifically the line for high-speed. We also had to go into the Vonage control panel and disable the CALL WAITING and VOICE MAIL on the line.

Vonage treats BUSINESS FAX lines totally differently than residential fax lines because they are provisioned with the higher bandwidth, and without the call waiting and voice mail, from the initial installation.

As often happens this thread is a bit off topic, or is it. We all realize that as technologhy moves forward it isn't always in a straight line. Modems/fax modems designed to work with copper phone lines don't always work with residential VOIP systems. My personal experience is with MAGIC JACK which is adequate for a second phone line, also allowed us to reduce our verizon service to local only. However u definitly could not send a fax on that system.
I have friends that have comcast phone and also cannot send faxes from home without adding, at additional cost, equipment that make faxing work.
I work for a municipality that has swithed to a VOIP phone service, town wide, but had to keep copper fax lines as the cost and reliabilty of voip fax didn't add up. The caller id sucks too, it only identifies the user of an assigned block of numbers, ie town of..., school dept..., police, etc. Real pain to not know where a call came from if no message left.
When my wife was moved home to work her employer installed a comcast data line (also carries basic cable), cisco vpn router and voip phone. When asked about a modem for fax capability the response was voip fax is not reliable we will pay for u to have unlimited phone service, a couple of her team had to have verizon install phone lines in their home.
Based on what has been posted here everyones experience is different. Could it be the infrastructure in your location that determines how well VOIP works and if it can effectively handle faxing or even connecting 2 modems that were designed for copper? I have no idea.
I do know that as fast and as far as technology has advanced we often needto wait for some pieces to catch up....
Who knows maybe the OP has a bad modem in his receiver, maybe too much noise on the line...

Ross

I understood you the first time, but we have not found that Vonage works that way. When our residential dedicated fax line was not working with HIGH=SPEED FAXES, we called Vonage and they had to go into the Vonage Linksys VOIP interface and make a configuration change to that Linksys device to make the fax pass the high-speed faxes.

It did NOT work without having to contact Vonage and having them specifically the line for high-speed. We also had to go into the Vonage control panel and disable the CALL WAITING and VOICE MAIL on the line.
Oh for crying out loud. We get it. Fax doesn't work on a Vonage residential line without paying for additional service.

We're talking about the phone modem on Dish receivers. Once again the Dish modem works on my Vonage residential line with Fios internet with"No prefix, no filter, no nothing." A Fax machine does not work on my Vonage line. The steps I would need to take to have Fax capability here have no bearing on the discussion of Dish receivers phoning home.

Now kapeesh?

Matt from DIRT is sending me a new receiver, hopefully it will solve my problem. I will let everyone know how it worked out.

BTW, the VOIP I am using is ViaTalk and Faxing with them is not reliable as well (they have a Fax service at extra cost). However, I don't think Fax service has anything to do with Dish calling home. Also, my receiver has no problem displaying incoming Caller's ID, so it must be some dialing or data acknowledging problem.

Now you mention ViaTalk! I've been using ViaTalk with my Dish Network receivers for around 6 years. When you get the new receiver and it does the same thing as the old one, try entering the *99# prefix. That worked for me, at least well enough to make a connection part of the time. I'm also hooked up to broadband, so if the telephone dialout doesn't work, I don't much care.

As you noted, the callerID works fine. These signals are locally generated by your ViaTalk adapter, and our receivers understand them just fine. Low data rate. Trying for a V.90 "high speed" modem connection is not going to work via ViaTalk.

Now you mention ViaTalk! I've been using ViaTalk with my Dish Network receivers for around 6 years. When you get the new receiver and it does the same thing as the old one, try entering the *99# prefix. That worked for me, at least well enough to make a connection part of the time. I'm also hooked up to broadband, so if the telephone dialout doesn't work, I don't much care.

As you noted, the callerID works fine. These signals are locally generated by your ViaTalk adapter, and our receivers understand them just fine. Low data rate. Trying for a V.90 "high speed" modem connection is not going to work via ViaTalk.

Thank, I tried the *99# and it WORKS! All the prefix references I saw were for *99 only without the # and it didn't work for me. How did you figure out that you need the *99# ?

Matt, hold on with the replacement receiver. If it works with the *99# then I don't want to replace it.

Last edited:
I don't recall the details, but there is a certain protocol that supports fax/dialup over voip. Most of the carriers don't use it as far as I know. Years ago, I used ATT CallVantage just for that reason. Now I use VoicePulse. I have broadband hooked up to both DVRs, but I have tested the connections and they report that they work ok.

Just on a side not, VoicePulse has great filtering. I have a "white list" setup, so only people I allow can call.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts