My 722 locks up

WilliamD2010

Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
Northern VA
I have a 722 DVR (non K) version that has been locking up ( everything freezes and has to be reset ). I recently purchased an external hard drive to start moving content off of it; however, before I could finish moving most of it, I got a message stating that it detected that my hard drive was corrupted and then proceeded to delete everything. Unfortunately, I had only moved about 10% of the content before this occurred. Since this time, with an empty DVR hard drive, it continues to lock up.

So... Should I assume that I will need a replacement and get on with it?

Definitely sounds like it needs to be replaced. I can set up the RA for you if you want to PM a phone number/account number.

MattG, perhaps you can help me with my problem. For the past week a blue screen pops up advising that the temp of the receiver is too hot, then it shuts down and stays dark. I perform a hard boot, wait to acquire signal, then after some waiting, the picture returns. Meanwhile I have missed 10 to 15 minutes of what I was watching. Very frustating! My unit sits where it has been since it replaced a previous 722 HD failure, completely open, no enclosures, and nothing stacked. Is this receiver beginning to fail? Please advise and thanks.
Doug

MattG, perhaps you can help me with my problem. For the past week a blue screen pops up advising that the temp of the receiver is too hot, then it shuts down and stays dark. I perform a hard boot, wait to acquire signal, then after some waiting, the picture returns. Meanwhile I have missed 10 to 15 minutes of what I was watching. Very frustating! My unit sits where it has been since it replaced a previous 722 HD failure, completely open, no enclosures, and nothing stacked. Is this receiver beginning to fail? Please advise and thanks.
Doug

It very well may be failing. Is it near a heater vent or anything like that? How long ago was it originally replaced?

I would even recommend moving it to another spot if possible (I understand it has good airflow where it is now).

Replaced on 2/2009. Not near any heat source either. There is no other practical placement for it that I can see for now. The question is, why is this occuring now after over 2 years? Thanks for your prompt response Matt

I really couldn't tell you why it's overheating now, as opposed to 2 years ago. I can say that it is electronic equipment, where unfortunately sometimes things go bad (I'm on my third power supply for my computer as an example).

Do you ever hear the fan running inside the receiver?

We've been having the rebooting issue that I've been reading about here and elsewhere. My wife has noticed that the reset seems to happen when watching or changing channels to an OTA station. Sooo...not sure if that's the experience of others, but it's been ours.

Would rather not replace this unit, we're planning on making some receiver changes soon, so hopefully the receiver makes it 'til then. (fingers-crossed)

wassupTC: Weak OTA signals, even with neither recorder connected to that tuner used to cause major hang-ups. I have not seen it recently. But it is advisable to always leave the OTA tuner(s) on a strong signal. Remember that a recording can change the tuner and it may stay there, indefinitely. If a weak-signal OTA is used, it might be best to include an additional short timer for a strong-signal OTA immediately after that recording, especially if unattended as over-night.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)