My C-Band Odyssey

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Okay, I have the Toshiba TRX-1820, looks nice and I have a REMOTE! :D

Now to figure out how to hook it up, I have the link to the Toshiba manual so I'll check that out...

The VC2RS module is dated April 1990 :eek:.

If I only have TWO pulse wires where do I hook them?

Attachments

• TRX1820 hookup.jpg
    TRX1820 hookup.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Which pulse wires?

For the actuator or the polorator?

Fred

Actuator. Sorry. :eek:

The picture in the Toshiba manual shows three pulse wires, I only have two, a brown and a green. Plus the power wires, I know those because I am using them now...:)

I know how to do the polorotor, white, red, and black. White is pulse.

Part of this is for others who may not know.

It has been my experience that there are usually 4 wires in the group that comes from the actuator. Red and Black, or Red and White are the two bigger wires. They go to M1 and M2 and can be reversed if the dish moves the wrong way.

The other two wires are Brown and Blue, Brown and Green, or Brown and Orange. The Brown goes to the ground, and whatever the other color is (Blue,Green, or Orange), it goes to the top-hat symbol or pulse. On mine, no wire has ever been connected to the 5V connector.

Hope that helps,

Fred

Part of this is for others who may not know.

It has been my experience that there are usually 4 wires in the group that comes from the actuator. Red and Black, or Red and White are the two bigger wires. They go to M1 and M2 and can be reversed if the dish moves the wrong way.

The other two wires are Brown and Blue, Brown and Green, or Brown and Orange. The Brown goes to the ground, and whatever the other color is (Blue,Green, or Orange), it goes to the top-hat symbol or pulse. On mine, no wire has ever been connected to the 5V connector.

Hope that helps,

Fred

Thanks Fred!

Yep, thats what I did, when I first hooked it up it was running backwards, so I switched them, and all is well.
Someone had put tape on the receiver with a wiring legend, it didn't match exactly but one pulse wire out of the two did so it worked. THANKS!

Now the other problem is that it tweaks the sat position and skew for you, based on an analog TP. What happens on the sats that do not have an analog TP? Hummm...more reading, there has to be a way to tune it manually...;)

EDIT: I found it, there is a way to do it...I got a sq of 100 on one TP...first time I've ever done that!

Last edited:
Thanks fellas!

Well after about 8 hours of tweaking, scanning, storing, cussin', and fuming I have from AMC 8 to Amazonas stored. Actually I deleted Amazonas because it was so weak. I have more clear sky to the east, but my actuator is fully extended, so the easternmost sats are out of reach until I get a longer actuator. :)

I still have to figure out how to get modern satellite names on the Toshiba, barring that I am just going to name them Other 1-whatever. The old satellite names, while nostalgic, are confusing as hell.

Thanks again to all that helped me, I am loving c-band!

Hey Stogie,

You have come a long way, and are real close.

Just remember that all satellites have weak TPs and strong TPs. I say that because if all the TPs on Amazonas are weak for you, you still don't have it tweaked just right.

Once everything is right, the sats on the ends will be just as strong as the ones in the middle.

All things being equal, if the TS Satellite is 22,300 miles away, another thousand miles isn't going to make any difference in the signal. :)

Just food for thought.

Fred

Hey Stogie,

You have come a long way, and are real close.

Just remember that all satellites have weak TPs and strong TPs. I say that because if all the TPs on Amazonas are weak for you, you still don't have it tweaked just right.

Once everything is right, the sats on the ends will be just as strong as the ones in the middle.

All things being equal, if the TS Satellite is 22,300 miles away, another thousand miles isn't going to make any difference in the signal. :)

Just food for thought.

Fred

I haven't touched the adjustments on the dish itself. I really don't know how to, and I don't want to mess anything up. It probably does need to be tweaked, but as long as it does what I want it to I am gonna leave it alone, there's too much adjustment on that mount out there to screw up...:)

If I can sell the Bsc-621 I have I might spring for the dual cband lnb/feed that SatAV has so I can put a multiswitch on it and feed ALL my FTA receivers.:up

there's too much adjustment on that mount out there to screw up...

I had the same thought processes as you on my first BUD, but then thought, what the heck, I am not going to learn anything if I don't screw it up once in a while.

I also learned that a lot of the original installers were only adjusting for C-Band and not for Ku. Many times that left the dish at less than peak performance.

When it cools down some and you have a little more time, you can tackle the fine tuning.

Fred

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts