My cable company is joining Comcast & I had to get a HD Digital Adapter...HELP hooking it up!!!

PIZ

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Pennsylvania
I put this on the main thread list, but thought it should go here instead.......Ice age tech guy here...Really could use some help connecting my equipment......

My cable company is adding HD Definition format of channels on Monday and I want to have a plan for set-up, ahead of time. They now require us to add at a minimum an HD Digital Adaptor.

Here is what I need to hook up:

I have a Sony Bravia......it has 2 HDMI input. A cable/antenna input. Component Audio (R) and Mono (L) inputs. PB, PB and Y (Video In).

I have a Cisco DTA 170HD Digital Transport Adaptor.......it has a Cable In input and a To TV output. It also has an HDMI slot.

I have a Panasonic VCR with the normal cable in- cable out. It has the Red, White, Yellow inputs and outputs.

I also have a DirecTv HD receiver.....it has the Red, White, Yellow outputs and an HDMI slot. I only use this for Sunday Ticket...my normal programming is cable. I may switch full time at some time but the storms knock it out all the time.

Lastly, I have a surge protector that I run the cable into......then out to the VCR. I don't know if this will work with the new programming.

I was planning on hooking it up like this:

<p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p>

Should I first run the cable/antenna into the surge protector, then have the cable/antenna out from the surge protector go into the Cable In input on the HD Adapter.

Plug the DirecTv into the HDMI of the TV. Also, have the R, W, and Y (video) go from the DirecTv to the input of the VCR so I could record football games.

Plug the HD Adapter to the TV by using the HDMI connection.

Plug the cable antenna into the HD Adapter In and have the To TV (out) go to the VCR antenna in. Then should I plug the R, W, Y (video) out on the VCR to the component in (R, W, Green ((hybrid))) in the TV or should I run the cable/antenna out on the VCR to the cable/antenna in on the TV.......or should I do both?

I want to be able to record the HD programming, even if it isn't in HD, but I want to be able to watch HD programming live on my TV...will this set-up screw that up?

Any help would be appreciated.

If this is in the wrong forum, please advise.

arite i need to reread this a few times to make sure I get everything, but If im understand you right, what you want to do is as follows.

1. Skip the cable inputs on the surge protector, they cause nothing but problems with any digital system these days, dish, cable etc.

2. Im just not clear if your HD Adapter is from Comcast or if its an over the air type thing, In order to get your HD Nationals, you need the HD box from comcast, channels are in the 800s
but yes, hook it up with hdmi

2b. If the hd box is from comcast, depending on which market you live in, you may get a box that doesnt have an HDMI out, and only uses component, RGB RW, in that case call in and bitcch and have them mail you a new box. But hook yours up in the meantime.

3. Yep as long as the directv has a seperate coax feeding the sat in, your good there, hdmi from the box into the tv

4. R-W-Y cables from dtv into vcr is fine, thats your best bet for the quality of using a vcr, but why not just get the dvr? then you dont need to worry about more cables.

5. the cable (coax) running from your hd adapter to your tv is not needed, and may be removed

6. If you have another set of R-W-Y cables run them from the out of your vcr into your tv.

7. No coax should be connected to the back of your tv, your inputs should be HDMI1 HDMI2 AV1 or whatever the Composite input is labeled as.

Cheers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)