My Cabo San Ohio adventure

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
My fiance and I spent the last week in Cabo San Lucas, and it was fantastic. So wonderful to feel 80 degrees again. We watched exactly one sporting event the entire week...hey, if we wanted to watch TV, we would have stayed home!

We saw some scores of other games, but I didn't even find out the Jets beat the Colts until mid-week. I still don't know many of the particulars of that game or the Jet-Bengal game (or any NFL game of the last two weeks for that matter), but suffice to say the Colts were obviously afraid of the Big Bad Jets defense!!!

We got home really late last night. What the heck is going on with college football coaches while I was gone!?!

Anyway, the one game we did go down to the beach bar at the resort for was, of course, the Rose Bowl. It took the bartender some time to find the game, and we actually missed the opening kickoff and I think the first play or two from scrimmage.

The first play I remember was Terrelle Pryor running like 20 yards for a first down...and it looked like he was limping...what?!?!?!? We could not hear the announcers, but they showed the replay more than once so I'm assuming it was at least a minor issue.

Through approximately the first quarter and a half we were the only ones watching the game, nobody else in the bar was even watching TV, I don't think. Lots of people were looking at us, though, because I was going through my usual histrionics (yelling, cheering, moaning) of a Buckeye game...the ones that make one of my dogs hide under my bed until I calm down!

During the second quarter a bunch of college kids from Australia sit next to us, and my fiance is talking to them, explaining the rules for the most part, while I'm still glued to the action. Eventually they get caught up in the game too, following my lead, and now it's us and a bunch of Australians (mostly boys) rooting for the Buckeyes...and now they're just as loud as me! (the tequila seemed to take effect quickly for them ;))

At halftime I see them mingling through the bar, and as the second half starts every TV at the beach bar (about 8-10 of them) is now tuned to the Rose Bowl...and it seems like most eveyone is paying attention. The Australian guys are whooping and hollering over every play (and not always at the right time!), and they're getting everyone else into it as well.

By the time the game finally ends the bar is packed (the game ended at about 6:450 local time), and the whole place is cheering the Buckeyes' victory. One of the bartenders comes up and asks me senorita or senora. For a second we're wondering what the heck is going on, but I point to my ring and say 'senorita then senora', and then we hear an announcement...Congratulations to the senorita from Ohio! HAHAHAHA. No correction, for one night I was the senorita from Ohio.

My fiance gets along so well with these guys they talk us into going to Cerritos Beach (Pacific Ocean side, about a half hour north of Cabo) with them on Saturday to surf...my first time surfing in a year and half. Did not surf at all this past summer. Luckily they flew home Sunday morning, so for one more day we could get back to the real reason we went to Cabo!!! ;) :D

My fiance said the real reason the Buckeyes finally won an out of conference game is because I watched it in a bikini...albeit with a wrap. :rolleyes:

I'll put my notes regarding what I remember of the game in the bowl thread.

Sandra

Last edited:
I can't imagine explaining the absurdity of the BCS to foreigners. You see in college football teams play during the season trying to win as many games as possible, some even manage to go undefeated. Yet rather than allow the best teams in nation to then compete on the field to see who the best of all is we play bowl games instead. So the Rose Bowl game had no more siginifcance than a pre season NFL game. Such a shame because Ohio St had a good season and beat a good Oregon team too. Unfortunately their season is now over as if they had lost that game. In reality Ohio St had no shot at a NC after they lost to USC back in September.

And what crime did any of the teams that went undefeated commit that are now relgated to pointless bowl games too? None other than they lack the history of blueblood programs like Alabama and Texas. Could TCU or Boise St beat Alabama or Texas? We'll never know, and you can bet that Alabama will NEVER set foot on a field with a non BCS team in a bowl game ever again. Not after what happened to them last year.

It must be hard for any foreigner to understand that in America, the land of opportunity, that dream is really a myth, at least when it comes to college football. Instead, college football is more like a medieval feudal system where the peasants toil the land all for pleasure of the fat lords of the BCS schools.

I can't imagine explaining the absurdity of the BCS to foreigners. You see in college football teams play during the season trying to win as many games as possible, some even manage to go undefeated. Yet rather than allow the best teams in nation to then compete on the field to see who the best of all is we play bowl games instead. So the Rose Bowl game had no more siginifcance than a pre season NFL game. Such a shame because Ohio St had a good season and beat a good Oregon team too. Unfortunately their season is now over as if they had lost that game. In reality Ohio St had no shot at a NC after they lost to USC back in September.

And what crime did any of the teams that went undefeated commit that are now relgated to pointless bowl games too? None other than they lack the history of blueblood programs like Alabama and Texas. Could TCU or Boise St beat Alabama or Texas? We'll never know, and you can bet that Alabama will NEVER set foot on field with a non BCS team in a bowl game ever again. Not after what happened to them last year.

It mut be hard for any foreigner to understand that in America, the land of opportunity, that dream is really a myth, at least when it comes to college football. Instead, college football is more like a medieval feudal system where the peasants toil the land all for pleasure of the fat lords of the BCS schools.

When you're hanging around with a bunch of Australian guys drinking tequila and watching American football (they called it gridiron until I changed them back to football), the more seminal issues of the BCS system completely fade away. Nobody cares. ;)

It all becomes about just winning that game.

Trust me, nobody from Ohio State is worried right now about whether or not there is a playoff system. It was sooooo important to win an out of conference game, a BCS game, and the Rose Bowl, and we're all going to enjoy it just for that.

We'll worry about the national championship next year...;)

Sandra

Glad you had a good time. Maybe if I drank more tequilla I'd learn to like the BCS too. :D

:D With enough tequila I could probably even like NASCAR!

I'm OK if college football goes to a playoff system...and also OK if it doesn't. The sport has thrived since forever without a playoff, and will thrive for another forever either way.

The Rose Bowl was full for Ohio State-Oregon, and will be full for Alabama-Texas.

Sandra

Cabo, an Ohio State BCS win, and the Jets in the playoffs.

How could it possibly get any better for Sandy?

DirecTV can get Versus back so I can watch the Ranger game tonight!!!

The resort at the end of Mexico probably had Versus, and we don't have it on DirecTV.

Sandra

What is a vacation thread doing with no pictures? ;) :D

Sandy's teams have been on an incredible hot streak ever since she went to Cabo San Lucas.

Going to Cabo didn't work out for Tony Romo a few years ago, but it has worked for Sandra's teams so far.

Sandra,
With the success of all your teams (football) since your trip .....

Does this mean that Cabo will becomes a YEARLY destination for you and yours around the same time of year ? :D

Sounds like a great place to be spending the Holidays !

Sandra,
With the success of all your teams (football) since your trip .....

Does this mean that Cabo will becomes a YEARLY destination for you and yours around the same time of year ? :D

Sounds like a great place to be spending the Holidays !

From your lips to God's ears!!! :D

Honestly, I feel like it's going to be Labor Day weekend 2009, my mom is going to wake me up, and I'm going to say 'Mom, you won't believe this crazy dream I had...'

'The Yankees won the World Series, I got engaged, we went to Cabo San Lucas for a holiday vacation, Ohio State won the Rose Bowl, and the Jets made it to the AFC Championship game against the Colts.'

Even my mom, who is only a sports fan because my dad, my brothers and I made her a sports fan, would say 'are you running a fever, sweetie?' :D

Sandra

Last edited:
From your lips to God's ears!!! :D

Honestly, I feel like it's going to be Labor Day weekend 2009, my mom is going to wake me up, and I'm going to say 'Mom, you won't believe this crazy dream I had...'

'The Yankees won the World Series, I got engaged, we went to Cabo San Lucas for a holiday vacation, Ohio State won the Rose Bowl, and the Jets made it to the AFC Championship game against the Colts.'

Even my mom, who is only a sports fan because my dad, my brothers and I made her a sports fan, would say 'are you running a fever, sweetie?' :D

Sandra

She has a point ......
Have you checked your temp lately ? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)