My Dish Network whole home DVR service.....

Paradox-SJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
San Jose, California
Is anyone else using their own hardware to create a whole home DVR service?

I have to older pc’s that I was going to decommission but instead upgraded their video cards and now I sling to them and along with a UHF remote, now have a whole home DVR service.

The only cost was the video cards.

Is it perfect....no...
- only one sling stream can used at a time
- picture quality isn't 100% (over scan and darker picture)
- power consumption of PC attached to additional TV

But it does work....and well enough for me for now.

I just mirror the dvr to every room in the house problem solved with a diplexer and a few spliters and a UHF remote no need to get fancy.

I have 2 722k's and can run two different streams from the respective SlingAdapters.

The original reason was so that one person can be outside the house and get access, the other using inside the house while in the "home office" in either case we'd be on computers, multiple monitors even better...

they can both be accessed at the same time from outside the house ... so long as we're not trying to do the "better" stream setting ... our uplink from home is only 2 to 3 meg .. barely enough to do SD on one stream.

and to the "sling extender" I think you said it best but without emphasising the correct parts..
...until the sling extender finally comes out
if you hold your breath for it.. you're likely to turn blue long before.. (yeah, now watch its released tomorrow) and even when it is released .. given Dish's horrible records for such things.. there will be update upon update for several weeks getting rid of problem after problem.. :(

I'd like to know if the sling extender behaves more like a slingcatcher, or more like a PC on DRA (which is cumbersome at best).

The british have it..
Slingbox.com - Connections
199 pounds..
they show a mock picture of an on screen image at a severe angle... on their features page... of course that could just be completely made up by some marketing weenie that was told to get "something" for there.. :)

You need to prevent the back feed. Take a TV outside and scan the OTA channels. Don't be surprised if ch.3 comes in. The neighbors and I have done this (temporarily of course) for games and fights.

Since someone several years ago said it was a no-no, I tried to transmit from the agile modulator output of my old 622 to a UHF antenna (using 2 Zenith Silver Sensors about 25 ft apart) connected to a converter and an old SDTV.

Never could get it to work.

I wouldn't worry about "broadcasting the signal to your neighbors". It is highly unlikely that even if the FCC knew you were doing it they would care in this type of situation.

op: are you are using the dish slingadapter or are you using a standalone slingbox? The reason I am asking is because I have not been able to get the UHF remote to work while using the slingadapter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts