My first impression of D* HD vs. E* HD

jacmyoung

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Before the installation, I filled my E* HDDVR with selected HD recordings, intended to do a side by side comparison with D* HDs, before my E* receivers are returned. I focused on mainly HGTV and FOOD channels since that is the time I have for now.

I used my 50" Panasonic 1080p plasma, with both E* 622 and D* HR21 connected by HDMI cables. I then recorded the same shows on HR21, played them back on both receivers for as fair a comparison as possible (my 622 is already disconnected so only can do playbacks). Both HDMI settings on my TV are set at the same calibrated custom video mode.

I must say I was a little disappointed that the D* MPEG4 HD did not stand out clearly against E*'s counterpart. I heard all the braving about how much better D* HD looked after people switched from E*, maybe D*'s PQ has come down lately?

Both suffered visible artifacts/microblocking in fast motion. Though E* seemed to have less resolution so the picture is softer, and motion artifacts were more apparent than D*. D* picture also seemed to have a little more intense color. But none of the above would be very noticeable in a casual viewing condition since I was in an inspection mode. It is however very possible that on an LCD panel, the issues will be amplified simply because of the nature of the LCD. Unfortunately I do not have time to hook them up to my 32" LCD panel for testing.

My comparison actually validated my initial objective to switch from E* to D*, not for HD PQ, not even for the more HD channels, but simply that E* wanted over $500 for each additional HDDVR I wanted to add since they don't lease more than "four tuners" and D* has no such limitation and only charges one DVR fee per account.

So if you ask me unless there are specific HD channels you must have and E* does not offer, or you are like me need multiple HDDVR's, a switch may not be necessary. E* HDDVR is easier to use, with D* there were always a few more remote clicks to do the same things.

But then again with all the discounts D* is throwing at a new sub, that alone may justify a switch anyway.

Thanks for taking time to report back. Its nice to know the PQ dif is not a show stopper:)

FWIW Since E* still does not have Austin Locals in HD, I was planning to switch the D* when my contract ran out in Jan. But I've decided to stick w/ E* for a while after pricing out the minimum D* package with both HD and DVR capabilities :(

Talon Dancer

Thanks for taking time to report back. Its nice to know the PQ dif is not a show stopper:)

FWIW Since E* still does not have Austin Locals in HD, I was planning to switch the D* when my contract ran out in Jan. But I've decided to stick w/ E* for a while after pricing out the minimum D* package with both HD and DVR capabilities :(

Talon Dancer

Well, D* doesn't have locals in Gainesville, FL so I won't be switching to them.

D*s DVR doesn't tune/record OTA. OTA is better PQ for locals if that is important to you. It makes for 3 tuners also on E*s DVR. Just something else to consider.

That's true for the HR21 at the moment, until the AM21 ATSC tuner add on comes out hopefully at the end of February.

That's true for the HR21 at the moment, until the AM21 ATSC tuner add on comes out hopefully at the end of February.
Ah yes, i guess i forgot that the tuner is not out yet on THAT model. However it is not true on all of the DVRs i guess is the point I was making.

Just compared two more MEPG4 channels.
DiscoveryHD: I compared a same episode of "Thirty Jobs", the impression was the same I got from the HGTVHD and FOOGHD tests. E* was slightly more down-rezzed and showed more over-compression related motion artifacts/microblocking, but not enough to notice during a casual viewing.
CinemaxHD on E* vs. MAXHD West on D*: I compared a same episode of "Coed Confidential", they were identical, no over-compression artifacts, no sign of down-rez on either service. "Coed Confidential" is unique in that it is a 1080i video based show, unlike most movies on the premium channels that are film based. It is my experience that video based material is more demanding than film based, which was why I picked this show for comparison. Ok I see the glee in you but this is my story and I am sticking to it:)
I will have two more shows to compare in a few days, one on HistoryHD, another a film based 1080i movie on StartzHD.

Just completed my last comparison using HistoryHD and StarzHD.

On HistoryHD, unfortunately I could not record one identical show on both services in the time allowed, but I did compare quite a few HD shows recorded on both and I came to the conclusion that HistoryHD is 720p (correct me if I am wrong). Meaning the resolution is visibly lacking compared to a 1080i show. The upside of a 720p show is it uses much less bandwidth, so no sign of compression artifacts, both services looked equal.

The movie I compared on E* StarzHD and D* StarzWHD was "Pursuit of Happyness", a 1080i HD movie transfer we typically see on an HD premium movie channel, meaning the signature film material with some level of grainy look, but still maintaining decent resolution. Again I could not detect any compression artifacts in fast motion, no softness one compared to the other, both services were identical.

That concludes my tests.

Lets not forget though, comparisons can and will vary based on several factors.

I agree though, good job!:up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)