My fix for the "Why doesn't the Scalar Ring fit the LBNF" Problem!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

KJ6EO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
118.3W 34.3N
I just can't stand something that doesn't work right. After battling with the "Why doesn't the Scalar Ring fit my LBNF problem", I came up with this little fix (see attached pictures). The small piece of aluminum flat stock is 1/8"x3/4"x3". It takes up all the slop between the LBNF and the Scalar ring. That keeps the ring from sliding around all over the place before you try to tighten it up. As you can see, a hose clamp holds the aluminum flat stock in place. Once you've got the ring in place, just slowly tighten down the screw. The alum flat stock is soft enough to prevent the screw from walking (digs in). The aluminum flat stock also prevents the surface of the LBNF from getting all chewed up. Just thoght this idea might help those of you who are tired of dealing with this problem.

Attachments

• 20130831_091204.jpg
    20130831_091204.jpg
    846.1 KB · Views: 326
  • 20130831_091240.jpg
    20130831_091240.jpg
    951.5 KB · Views: 348
Just like the ESX241 the new NS741 LNBFs are really bad about the gap inside the scaler ring. On mine I confiscated an old Tupperware top from the kitchen then cut a 1 inch wide 4 inch long strip out of that and used it as a shim around the LNBF opposite of where the screw holds it in place. Works pretty good too. Just have to remember not to mention that to the Wife, hey!!:D

Oh, I don't know whether it's my internet connection or what but I can't get either of those pictures to open?

Hey Lone ... good to hear from you. Interesting that you couldn't open the pictures. They even opened up inline using Topify on my SIII. I had some problems with my NS-741 (Dual Band LBNF) so I took it back to WSI yesterday. They're gonna check it out and get back to me. In the meantime I bought their c-band only LBNF. I installed it this morning. Signal strengths were good but I haven't had a chance to thoroughly test it out. Currently at the park with my Son (age 6). Very hot and humid in Cali today. Have a nice weekend!

Posted via Topify using Android

Yeah well, we've been having problems with the internet service here for about 2 weeks and it was completely off from 7pm to 11pm yesterday. It's was back up this morning but looks like they've got more work to do to finish fixing it.

somebody should patent this!

Couple of years ago I came up with this similar solution.
Never posted a picture, ´cause once in service, it was hidden.
I took a strip of aluminum, cut it to length, then drilled a hole to pass the screw threads toward end.
Let.s say 1/2 inch wide, and 3? Inches long.
The idea is, you remove the LNBF, then affix the tab to the outside of your scaler with the screw.
The long tab points toward the sky.
Fold the tab over the edge of the rim 180 degrees, so it lays flat inside the scalar.
(Best to be a little sloppy; don't want a tight fit)
The end of the tab needs to pass the screw where it pokes into the scalar by...1/2 inch or so.
I found it was necessary to hand-work the bent tab with a pair of long nose pliers to give it some curvature and lie flat.
Advantages:
- tab is captive on the screw
- end of screw presses on tab not LNBF
- LNBF never gets dents nor circles from screw
Oh yes, I think I might have filed the Screw point flat, too.
?

I thought I could just buy a different brand LBNF to get away from the fit problem ... WRONG! They're all the same :eek:. So far I like this WSI ESX242 that I bought yesterday down in Pacoima. However, the more I know my LBNF the more I love my Chaparral :D. I just have no way to control polarity. I sent my Polarity Controller back to Rick's Satellite for a check out. It worked as long as I had just the receiver connected to it. But the minute I hooked up my VBOX > SWITCH > LNB, the servo spun fully counter clockwise and never moved again :confused:. I got out my Fluke 87 and checked out the H and V voltages. They weren't being loaded down so no problem there. One I get this figured out I'll let you know!

I have used small portions of a rubber tire patch by cutting two square pads that will fit the scalar ring pads which are the two points of contact. I sanded the areas to be glued and placed the two rubber pads on the scalar ring and it works great for securing the LNB in position without it slipping. Some LNBs that I've purchased have a small piece of flat rubber material inside of the hardware bag; this rubber is intended for padding the LNB in the scalar ring. It also centers the LNB as it should be in the scalar ring.

I find the Tire Patch material very durable and provides a nice grip with the slightest screw pressure. Using the rubber will allow you to use less screw pressure on the LNB housing while preventing warpage of the throat. The plastic throat cover will usually fall out or pop out due to warpage (out-of-round) throat; I also super-glue the plastic covers inside so that they don't fall out with age.

I hope this removes the mystery of focusing an LNB, as well. It holds it where ever you place the LNB and it won't slip. Just be sure to not glue the LNB in place, allow the glue to dry in place with the pads pressed firmly inside of the scalar ring before using on the Dish. And don't over tighten the screw, it takes only a little bit to hold it when using the rubber pads.

I used a Super-glue; any sort should do, or use contact cement, which may be best as it remains elastic. Contact cement should work with any type of rubber padding that one chooses. I like the Tire patch sheets because it's nicely prepped for a long-lasting bond. The other side is perfect for gripping the LNB throat.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts