My Hr10-250 just received the updated 6.3a software last night :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
atp1313 said:
Now about those new HD channels... :)

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think HDTivo users (myself included) are going to be left out in the cold on new HD Channels -- they will be MPEG-4 only (most probably).

As such, at some point in the future, we will have to decide which is more important -- Tivo's stability and interface, or the new HD Channels on a HR20. Right now, the choice for me is easy -- I have an antenna, so I am sticking with my HDTivos. We'll see what new channels come down the pike (and when, I am guessing not until late 2007 at the earliest).

DanWard said:
As such, at some point in the future, we will have to decide which is more important -- Tivo's stability and interface, or the new HD Channels on a HR20. Right now, the choice for me is easy -- I have an antenna, so I am sticking with my HDTivos. We'll see what new channels come down the pike (and when, I am guessing not until late 2007 at the earliest).

So far, from what I have read most people seem to like the interface of the HR20, as well as they did the HR10 TIVO interface. I haven't seen to many complaints about it. The main thing I see as it is not yet programed to use the OTA tuner for locals.

I know that I will wait for them to program the HR20 OTA tuner to receive the locals before I switch over to it. The D* MPG4 locals I get on my H20 leave a lot to be desired and I use the OTA tuner in it for locals instead, as they are a lot cleaner than D* satellite signals. Hopefully they will improve on that in the future. My local RSN MPG4 telecasts (channel 96) are a lot better than the network locals via satellite, very little breakup but you can occasionally, on fast shots, see pixelation.

lou_do said:
So far, from what I have read most people seem to like the interface of the HR20, as well as they did the HR10 TIVO interface. I haven't seen to many complaints about it. The main thing I see as it is not yet programed to use the OTA tuner for locals.

I know that I will wait for them to program the HR20 OTA tuner to receive the locals before I switch over to it. The D* MPG4 locals I get on my H20 leave a lot to be desired and I use the OTA tuner in it for locals instead, as they are a lot cleaner than D* satellite signals. Hopefully they will improve on that in the future. My local RSN MPG4 telecasts (channel 96) are a lot better than the network locals via satellite, very little breakup but you can occasionally, on fast shots, see pixelation.

Don't forget that the HR20 does not have buffers on the tuners from what I have read. The ability to toggle both tuners with the TiVo is much desired over not being able to with the HR20. I'll stick with my HR10 for now too.

I'm assuming the HR20 also does not have the 30 second skip ahead feature that can be enabled on the HR10s. I will *really* miss that.

I'm got the popup the other day saying 6.3 is coming but have seen no sign of it yet despite forcing calls and restarts. My unit is not hacked either. Anyone else still waiting? Anyone know how long D* expects the entire rollout to take?

Ex Direcway said:
I also had this message so I did a manual restart & it loaded the new software. :D

I tried that and no go. Nothing is pending , all I got is the message and now its been over a week , I wonder how long its going to take ?

got mine last night, gotta say I'm disappointed
where is the "folders" option I've heard so much about? if your refeering to the "group" thing, well, that's not what I expected and really does me no good.
the guide is faster "whooopie"
add delete channels is different "whooopie"
Is that it!!!
it's all I've seen

Got my 6.3a upgrade this morning.
For all you guys forcing calls and rebooting: No need to reboot until you see "Pending Restart" in the phone status. You are wasting your time otherwise.
I like the speed improvment, but otherwise, the 6.3 features are nothing to rave about, but then again, I wasn't expecting anything to rave about. It worked great before, it works great now, but faster. That in itself is worth the upgrade.

rkr0923 said:
got mine last night, gotta say I'm disappointed
where is the "folders" option I've heard so much about? if your refeering to the "group" thing, well, that's not what I expected and really does me no good.
the guide is faster "whooopie"
add delete channels is different "whooopie"
Is that it!!!
it's all I've seen

the folders option is just that, have more than 1 episode of something recorded it creates a folder and sorts the list into those.

What did you expect?

this is all we were expecting.

I'm still waiting here in AZ..... I REALLY want it (folders) the "boss" like good eats - and its forever recording a million of them.

I'm in the Atlanta area and one of my HR10's has downloaded 6.3a and is now having problems. Rebooting at least 3 times,not recording a season pass and saying it is when you click on the show. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Missed the 1st 21 minutes of the Veronica Mars season premier.

ShadowEKU said:
the folders option is just that, have more than 1 episode of something recorded it creates a folder and sorts the list into those.

What did you expect?

this is all we were expecting.

well I have lot's of movies and sports recorded and you can't do anything with them unless they have the Same Title............like I was expecting to put movies in a movie folder, sports in sports folder and so on. But all you can really do is "Group" same title shows togother.
So all my recordings are still in the Now Play List..........kinda of a bummer is all
I didn't really know what to expect, I just heard "Folders" and that was my idea of what a folder is.

got mine too after I changed number dialed!

tried several times to force a call and nothing. then I change the number I dialed to and finally got the upgrade after that. Tivo is indeed faster now and I do like the grouping of DVR shows. don't know it it has any other new features.

I been waiting since last Thursday thats when the message said make sure your DVR is pluged into a phone line.
I'm using a 1-800 phone number so maybe if I change it to the local toll number it will update?

Knowing the update comes via Satellite and that the upgrade is initiated after a call, I don't think the dial-in number makes a difference.

My new daily ritual is performing a daily call. It only needs to be done once a day. I look in System Information to ensure "Service Data" has been updated since the last call. If there was no "Service Data" downloaded since the last daily call, then there most likely is no reason to do another daily call.

Still waiting for this myself, I just don't understand why it's taking so long to roll this out to everyone.

Got the msg about the upgrade last week and have been waiting impatiently. Just checked my call status and I'm "PENDING RESTART"!! Whoo Hoo!!! Damn!! Just peed my pants again!! ( that was for you FG!! )---Ray

What if....

I have noticed that Las Vegas members are getting the upgrade
I read someone changed the phone call in number and got it.

What if I changed the call in number to a Las Vegas number and forced a call.
It would cost what? 15 cents, a quarter.

I know, I know why?

I might try it this weekend if it rains and I am boored.

I don't think the upgrade authorization is dependent on the phone number dialed. From what I've read elsewhere, the authorization is dependent on your access card # or the box ID#. Each day, D* authorizes a range of #s and if your box/card is in that range, you receive the update. That explains why some people with multible boxes in the same house (dialing the same #) have one box with the update and one without.

By the way, almost all has been good with my 6.3a update, BUT...
The Tivo locked up and rebooted on me once so far, during a double recording. I wasn't very happy about that. Looks like there are issues with the software that need to be worked out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts