My huge antenia not good ???

chaingang

Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
I have an outdoor antenia thats about 10 ft long and extends very wide. I placed it in my attic and using it for my OTA HD channels. I get certain channels good and cant move it around very well to get all my signals. Is this my best choice because bigger is better ? Or should I look into getting an indoor smaller antenia designed for this purpose and get better results ?

Thanks in advance for any input.

That all depends on which stations (channels) you want to receive.

Give us your zipcode and we can give you a more informed opinion. Or, you can look at www.antennaweb.org and see which channels you need to receive.

It sounds like your antenna is at least a VHF fringe antenna. Does it have a UHF array on the smaller end (elements about 4-6 inches long with a reflector)? If not, it will be pretty useless at receiving UHF channels (most digital stations are in the UHF band).

Yes it has it a UHF array, My zip is 48197 so im close to Detroit and Toledo and a few other areas. Im being restricted cause its so large if I move it I will loose some of the other channels. I have'nt tried a amp yet but wanted to see if this antenia is as good as the newer one's designed for HDTV.

I entered my zip, So am I suppose to point the antenia towards the city or compass oreintation ? Also I have an amplifier and was curious if it goes after the antenia or before my TV ?

Last edited:
chaingang said:
I have an outdoor antenia thats about 10 ft long and extends very wide. I placed it in my attic and using it for my OTA HD channels. I get certain channels good and cant move it around very well to get all my signals. Is this my best choice because bigger is better ? Or should I look into getting an indoor smaller antenia designed for this purpose and get better results ?

Thanks in advance for any input.

The antenna that you describe is probably both VHF and UHF. If you are interested only in DTV a UHF only antenna will work. It will be much smaller and could be moved in the attic for best reception. With both Detroit and Toledo stations available from your location, a rotator could be handy. It is even possible to mount a rotator in the attic if the antenna is the right size. The Detriot stations can be received with an antenna such as a Winegard DB4 or a Channel Master 4221. While the 4228 is often recommended, the angle between the Detriot stations would mean that it can't be aimed in a single heading for all the stations.

While outdoor antennas are best, it is also possible to use a rotator in an attic.

Detroit Digitals are approx 30 miles ENE of you. All but UPN are within 4 degrees of 58 degrees, UPN is 10 degrees left. 4228 has a beamwidth of 20 degrees, so if it is aimed properly it should pick up all Detroit channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)