My huge antenia not good ???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

chaingang

Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
I have an outdoor antenia thats about 10 ft long and extends very wide. I placed it in my attic and using it for my OTA HD channels. I get certain channels good and cant move it around very well to get all my signals. Is this my best choice because bigger is better ? Or should I look into getting an indoor smaller antenia designed for this purpose and get better results ?

Thanks in advance for any input.

That all depends on which stations (channels) you want to receive.

Give us your zipcode and we can give you a more informed opinion. Or, you can look at www.antennaweb.org and see which channels you need to receive.

It sounds like your antenna is at least a VHF fringe antenna. Does it have a UHF array on the smaller end (elements about 4-6 inches long with a reflector)? If not, it will be pretty useless at receiving UHF channels (most digital stations are in the UHF band).

Yes it has it a UHF array, My zip is 48197 so im close to Detroit and Toledo and a few other areas. Im being restricted cause its so large if I move it I will loose some of the other channels. I have'nt tried a amp yet but wanted to see if this antenia is as good as the newer one's designed for HDTV.

I entered my zip, So am I suppose to point the antenia towards the city or compass oreintation ? Also I have an amplifier and was curious if it goes after the antenia or before my TV ?

Last edited:
chaingang said:
I have an outdoor antenia thats about 10 ft long and extends very wide. I placed it in my attic and using it for my OTA HD channels. I get certain channels good and cant move it around very well to get all my signals. Is this my best choice because bigger is better ? Or should I look into getting an indoor smaller antenia designed for this purpose and get better results ?

Thanks in advance for any input.

The antenna that you describe is probably both VHF and UHF. If you are interested only in DTV a UHF only antenna will work. It will be much smaller and could be moved in the attic for best reception. With both Detroit and Toledo stations available from your location, a rotator could be handy. It is even possible to mount a rotator in the attic if the antenna is the right size. The Detriot stations can be received with an antenna such as a Winegard DB4 or a Channel Master 4221. While the 4228 is often recommended, the angle between the Detriot stations would mean that it can't be aimed in a single heading for all the stations.

While outdoor antennas are best, it is also possible to use a rotator in an attic.

Detroit Digitals are approx 30 miles ENE of you. All but UPN are within 4 degrees of 58 degrees, UPN is 10 degrees left. 4228 has a beamwidth of 20 degrees, so if it is aimed properly it should pick up all Detroit channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts