My orby install

How long did VoOm survive before they shut down?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Until Charlie decided to KILL it through lies under false pretenses AND illegal Breach of Contract. The court case lasted for years, AND the judge said Dish would clearly LOSE. So Dish finally offered to settle. However, it was much too late for Voom, and this hurt them financially so bad, they couldn't continue. Voom HD Networks - Wikipedia

It's the one thing about Dish and Charlie that makes me agree with Claude about Charlies scummy business practices.

I think there was fighting between family members with the dolans about voom as well which probably cause the down fall as well. Cable Vision could have kept funding voom.

The list
Voom
Primestar
Alphastar

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I think there was fighting between family members with the dolans about voom as well which probably cause the down fall as well. Cable Vision could have kept funding voom.

The list
Voom
Primestar
Alphastar

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Anyone remember this ill fated service from 1984?

USCI, United Satellite Communications?

They were on Anik C3 as their ‘interim’ satellite before they were to go to high power DBS later in the mid 80’s (which never happened).

If I remember right, General Instrument (this would have been pre-VideoCipher, before they bought that division from M/A-Com) made the receivers, not sure who made the antennas.

They were running without any encryption on that bird.

Of course, it only covered the northern part of the country well.

Here is an article from UPI about the service when it first launched.

The nation's first direct-to-home satellite TV service will be...

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

In those days nothing was encrypted. That started in 1986

Sent from my VS995 using the SatelliteGuys app!

VCII encryption started in 1986. It was in testing through ‘85. However, channels that were provided by CANCOM on the Anik birds were encrypted using Oak Orion as early as 1982. VideoCipher I, which was a whole nother beast from VCII was in use by some feeds for the networks in the mid 80’s as well.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: MikeI
Have a professional install scheduled next week on Tuesday 2/5/2019. Will report on what is provided with a standard vs custom install and any related charges.

The install was originally scheduled for Tuesday of this week, but Mastec called last Sunday to reschedule. The Mastec schedule rep indicated that they did not yet have all of the components to complete the install.

I've installed a couple recently. Been a DISH and DTV and Glorystar (OTA) installer and Field Service Manager for more than 15 years. Worked with DTV before the Mastec days. Found the installs to be easy-peezy for an experienced installer. Usual installation fee of $150. Any additional costs would come if there was need for some sort of sight adjustments like cutting a tree branch or installing a pole mount. Takes about an hour to install - if you activate online as sometimes you cannot get them to answer the phone for long periods of time. Best bet is to have installer do a free site survey if you can find one that will do that. I DO NOT guarantee picking up local channels. That is entirely another "bird" and different antenna. Both of my install customers stated that it was very hard finding someone that would do the job. I would like to know how best to make known my availability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts