My OTA Rights

FrankJo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2004
DC Metro Area
Should I get EVERY single OTA channel that is in my PG guide? I live outside of DC and have Baltimore stations in my PG as well, but they don't come in. Should I start griping yet?

I got installed yesterday with Winegard antenna. Does anyone know if this antenna is amplified?

If it is the S2000, it is amplified. Most of the Prostar series is amplified as well. Here are a few things to consider regarding OTA reception:
  1. Your local stations may be broadcasting digitally, but at what power? For example, I have two local stations that are mapped that I do not receive in the Oklahoma City area because I am 43 miles away and they are broadcasting at 1kW or just above on a temporary tower. That is not Voom's fault. The lowest powered station I receive is 44 miles away at 47kW. You can call the station and ask, or look at their filings with the FCC.
  2. Where are the broadcast towers in relation to you? Bi-directional antennas (such as the Winegard) only receive well if all of the broadcasters are all in the same direction relative to your location and the antenna is aimed in that direction. If you are trying to receive signals from several directions, depending on your distance and their signal power, you may need to look at an omni-directional antenna. Omni-directional antennas typically do not have the range of directional or bi-directional antennas.
Hope this helps. Just about every Voom subscriber has some level of frustration with how Voom has handled the OTA mappings up until this point. I have found it beneficial in dealing with Voom to have every possible fact about my situation (including FCC guidelines) handy when contacting them. They are very ineffective when you leave it to them to figure out what is wrong.

I dont think Voom is obligated to give you every station from every direction IMO. If a directional antenna is required, then you would need a rotor or multiple antennas. As long as I got one feed of ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, WB, UPN, FOX OTA I would be happy. In my situation I get my OTA from Norfolk but I suppose If I lived closer to Richmond I could mount a rotor or a second antenna and get OTA from Norfolk and the Richmond area If they were high powered antennas. If you dont get at least one of each of the affiliates I would gripe. If you gripe because you want multiple versions of ABC etc, I would tell you tough luck if I were voom. Just my opinion.

Should I get EVERY single OTA channel that is in my PG guide? I live outside of DC and have Baltimore stations in my PG as well, but they don't come in. Should I start griping yet?
No. Some of the stations listed in the guide aren't even on the air full time, or aren't transmitting at sufficient power to be received more than a few blocks away. For example, the DC UPN is transmitting at such lower power that virtually nobody receives their signal, regardless of antenna size.

I would complain if you don't get the big four - ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC.

Well, UPN is a problem in DC I guess. I would have also like to get Maryland Public televisions feed because they mulicast 5 or six channels. I may want to gripe about it because my cable provider carried it. Also, I figure since I live in Maryland, I should be entitled to recieve this signal.

Im not even getting NBC. WB or NET for my area. I feel that VOOM did everything I asked of them to try and get those ch's with no luck. In my area I would need a tower in my yard to get them. Im waiting for these ch's to up their power....but Im not going to blame VOOM for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)