My quali-tv is dead

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Labgate

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Hello everyone

This is a sad day for me. My Quali-tv (I had it for 3 months) is dead. I bought it in Europe.

At least it seems to be dead.

I opened the case and I see a blinking light on the board, each time this light blinks I hear a small click that seems to come from the AC yellow bord, but nothing on the display. I see nothing on the tv also

Is there a known issue, I did not find it on the board.

Can it be a problem that I could cure with a Jtag.

I did not use it for 2 weeks and last time it was working great.

What can I do

Labgate

clicking power supply is usually a dead cap in a switching ps. look on the board for a big cap that looks like its blown sky high (its ewsed goo all over or sometimes just expanded and rounded the top of the cap). its usually one of the larger caps.

Hello

Yes I see two "big" black "things" (sorry electronics is not my major).

They are not flat like the others, they are round on the top where the cross it.

I took a picture but it is not very clear.

Here it is, hope this will help.

Labgate

Attachments

• qualitv.jpg
    qualitv.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 262
  • quali2.jpg
    quali2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 262
caps like most things have many ways of dieing, but rounded top is defn on of them, caps only have two leads and are usually pretty easy to replace. look on the side of them and they will have their rating in voltage and uF, goto an electronics parts store and they should have something to fix you up. if you go mailorder there are lots of places, like digikey.com, they have a $10 min so you'll probably end up ordering about 50 of each cap as caps arent very expensive.

Great

Thank you, I will do that tomorrow.

However I think I will go to an electronic shop. I don't want to take any chances.

Best regards

labgate

Yea I think I see at least 2

I think I see at least 2 blown caps or one blown and the other buldged. If you take it into a eletronic store a real eletronic store. They can point out and make sure you get the right replacement caps or something very close in value.

Hard to tell one fuzzy pic and one shiney pic.

laters,

Josh

Thank you guys

I will take it to an electronic shop today. Will get back to you.

Hope we can salvage it.

Labgate

If its a power supply issue involving caps, I wouldn't be too worried about it. If the cap isn't flat on the top, 99 percent sure its dead. Replacing them is not a big issue.

Hello

I took it to an electronic ship this morning. The technician is sure that there are 2 not working. (tops are round).

So he will replace them. Will cost 4 $ for the pieces and 10 $ for work.

Hope this will work after that.

Labgate

I hope it works out for you. I know I would be in a sad state of mind, if something happened to my Qualitv. Even though there are times I just want to shoot that thing. If I did, I would probably shoot myself....
Unless someone else was in the room, then I'd shoot them!

Al

Hello

Just to give more information if that happens to another person.

On the quali-tv.com web site you can order the powersupply as a spare part.

Price is at 15 euros.

Labgate

Ordering the new power supply might be the better way to go, depending, of course, on international shipping costs. Sometimes when one component goes, others are ready to fail as well.

Labgate, please let us know if the cap replacement solved the problem.

Hello

Including the power supply and shipping the cost was 82 can dollars.

I will let you know how it goes for the reparation.

Best regards

Labgate

worth trying to fix for $14 and being proud you figured it out yourself :) if it doesnt work, then you can still order the ps later, gota hate that international shipping costs eh.

Hello

Well it is fixed. It was indeed the two capacitors.

So cost was 14 $.

I'm so happy that my quali-tv is back. Now if they could just update the software to support usals or diseqc 1.1...

Thanks to everyone.

Labgate

Glad it worked out for you. $14 is better than waiting a few weeks for a power supply from across the big pond. And a lot less than an additional $82 for that.

Al

Mine got blasted by a power serge, the mother board was shot. $495.00 to fix it. Had to order one from the Netherlands, $305 for the board, $95 for postage and the rest for labor. I was pissin' and moanin' until the wife informed me that we had power serge insurance through the power company. Seeins how it was there fault because they turned off the power to install power to a new house across the alley and didn't let anyone in the neighborhood know what they were doing, they paid up with no problem. The insurance only runs like a dollar and a half a year. Good investment

Diamond Jim: I'm going to have to look into that. Maybe Entergy offers the same insurance, I've got too many toys that could be fried by something like that. We do have VERY reliable power here, though...

Labgate: Glad the caps fixed the problem. Best of all, you always know how to fix it if it would happen again in the future :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.