My thoughts three weeks after switching from E* to D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

db2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2006
MN
I was a E* subscriber for 7+ years and the lack of HD games on FSN North HD was the straw that finally broke the camel's back for me. I wanted to wait a few weeks to before posting a mini review so here are my thoughts:

First and foremost if you're considering switching or signing up for satellite service, I would HIGHLY recommend working through DishStore.net. I'll be honest I was a little skeptical about working through a retailer who was located in another town but Scott recommended I give them a shot so I did. I spoke with Claude personally and he answered all of my questions and set everything up for me in a 15 minute phone call. Less than 48 hours (yes, only 48 hours) later a D* installer was at my door. 99% of the install went perfect except for one hardware issue. This issue wasn't the fault of DishStore.net or the installer, just a hardware issue. I emailed Claude right away and let me tell you, he went absolutely above and beyond to fix it. He contacted several different parties to get my issue resolved ASAP! Now, thanks to Claude, everything is 100% perfect. I sincerely believe I would not have received this level of support from another retailer. Thank you DishStore.net and thank you Claude!

Now then, here are my thoughts on D* vs. E*

Negatives:

To put it plainly, the IR sensors on the D* remotes suck. Two of my receivers are placed underneath my tv's and I had a hard time getting them to pick up my button pushes. I ended up switching my living room box to RF and I had to adjust my bedroom receiver quite a bit. I never had any issues with IR transmission on the E* receivers.

The receiver software with D* is not quite as slick as E*. Doing searches, etc. seem to take a couple more button pushes on D* but this also has an advantage which I'll cover in the positives section.

After my two years worth of programming discounts run out D* will be slightly more expensive per month than E* for the programming package I want. I'm willing to pay a little more because of things like 24/7 HD RSN, NatGeoHD in my package and ESPNUHD but nonetheless it will be more.

Positives:

Whole home dvr...uh...wow! Not sure why I didn't understand how awesome this was but I love it. I read comments on the forum about playing from another room you have to wait for the content to start. Yea, like 3 seconds. And absolutely no degradation in PQ. Also with D* having only one DVR fee per household (rather than per DVR) I went ahead and got 3 dvrs so now I can share content on all of them. Fantastic.

Receivers. For years I have been reading on this and other forums that D* has better programming options while E* has better hardware. I disagree. Although the E* receivers have a slick interface it's my opinion that the D* receivers have better/deeper functionality. For example, the search function on the E* remotes is faster. If you're watching a show you can push one button and it will do a search for that show. With D* it takes a couple more button pushes. However, the functionality of the D* search kills E*. With D* you can search for actors, titles, keywords and, most importantly, the results denote whether or not they're HD without having to click on each one. Overall I would say the functionality of D* hardware is better than E*.

VOD. No contest. D* VOD is great. TONS of free, downloadable shows and movies and again, easy to tell which are HD. E*'s VOD? Joke.

Class operation. I believe Scott mentioned something like this in one of his Satellite Dish columns but after a few weeks with D* I get the feeling that D* is a classier operation. My install came right before The Masters golf tournament and I was blown away by the (free) Master's Mix channels, in HD! The free VOD, the mix channels, the season ticket packages, all first class. I always got the feeling with E* that it was much more of a fly by the seat of your pants operation. Popular channels being pulled, other channels nobody asked for showing up out of nowhere, etc.

PQ. I could write a whole other post describing the differences in PQ but I'll sum it up with this: PQ on SD channels is slightly better on E* and PQ on HD channels is better on D*. I watch 98% HD and I love how the HD looks. The SD is, well, SD.

Summary:

I wish I would have switched sooner. I honestly didn't hate E* and as I mentioned the move was really driven by programming but looking back I have no regrets. I was pleasantly surprised by the D* hardware, blown away by the whole home dvr and very pleased overall.

I also switched to Direct from Dish 3 weeks ago having been a Dish customer for over 5 years. My reason for leaving was like yours in that Dish would not or could not provide me with my local sports teams' channels. In the NYC area they were not even in SD. I agree with most of what you say comparing the two. My install did not go as smoothly as yours. I ordered Direct through Costco which got me a gift card for $180.00. My installer did not read his work order before he came to my house. He tried to leave without hooking up the MRV service. When I pointed this out to him he said that I could not have MRV service unless my receiver was hard wired to the internet. After I ripped up the contract and told him to disconnect everything since he was not providing me with what I contracted for, he called his boss. The boss straightened him out and he hooked up the MRV function. Why would he lie to me about having to have the reciever hard wired to the internet? I don't know.

Anyway, like you I love the MRV function. I can now watch all of the NY area teams in HD! I had the gift card in less than a week! So far I am happy with Direct and should have switched long ago. Once my promos are up it will cost me slightly more than Dish to keep what I now have.

Welcome to the Direct side, the 24/7 HD RSN's is a big factor for many, as you will see there are other shows on the RSN's that are in HD other then games

Welcome to DirecTV... I never had E* but I've seen the SD picture on them. Direct has a better picture on SD than Charlie, HD is better too. SD on H2H is better than both but thats another story. For the most part Direct has been ok for the 10 months I've had them . I don't care for the small dish rainfade and a few other things but they do serve a place for me at the moment. I have also been dealing with Direct quite a bit lately on the phone with a receiver problem and swap. They have been pretty good in everything so far. Between the two pizza providers Direct is the better of the two.

glad you're enjoying it :)

The RSN in HD is so nice. No need to worry if it will be in HD, JIP'd, or dropped at last minute. Tune in to 668 and there is the Twins....in HD :)
The mix channels are pretty cool too. I wasnt a big tennis fan but after seeing the Wimbledon mix I kinda liked seeing the whole match if I wanted. Watched alot of Aussie Open this year :)

However, the functionality of the D* search kills E*. With D* you can search for actors, titles, keywords and, most importantly, the results denote whether or not they're HD without having to click on each one. Overall I would say the functionality of D* hardware is better than E*.
Don't forget YouTube as well

The mix channels are pretty cool too. I wasnt a big tennis fan but after seeing the Wimbledon mix I kinda liked seeing the whole match if I wanted. Watched alot of Aussie Open this year :)

That is pretty cool with the tennis mix channels. Back in the day I would look for all the feeds on C band. Direct puts them in one place. The PQ usually pretty good on them too.

where is the latest national HD channel comparison chart between Direct and Dish...I think about switching but certain channels in HD are must haves for me like BBC.

where is the latest national HD channel comparison chart between Direct and Dish...I think about switching but certain channels in HD are must haves for me like BBC.
Dish has more total, but when it comes to sports and your own local RSNs, Dish does not come close.

glad you're enjoying it :)

The RSN in HD is so nice. No need to worry if it will be in HD, JIP'd, or dropped at last minute. Tune in to 668 and there is the Twins....in HD :)

Ain't that the truth! I had NHL Center Ice when I was with Dish and they would only broadcast 20%-30% of the games in HD. It used to drive me nuts because I knew that the HD feeds were available. Never mind the fact that I could not watch any of my local teams...Rangers, Devils or Islanders. I can now watch all in HD.

I also like the ability to get sports scores with by pushing the red button on the remote. Great feature. I had to be crazy to stay with Dish for 5 years. Glad I finally woke up!

db2,

I agree with everything you said except that I didn't go through the Dishstore.net, I went through the Directv site. I just feel that Directv is a better run company and not a Mickey mouse company like Dish Network. The remote for Directv is just average but I can live with that if we can get better VOD, MRV (fantastic) and the sports network in HD 24/7. Like you, I will be paying a little more when my promotions ends in another 18 months but I don't mind paying the extra $5 if I can get all the channels that I watch.

Welcome to the good side! Things are very quiet on this end, I wonder why. :)

Last edited:
I switched from E* 3 months ago and I agree with just about everything said in this thread. Overall, I feel I made the right choice. Having said that, there are 3 negatives with D* that I didn't have with E*.

1. Agonizingly slow response many times with remote to HR24. Sometimes it seems like it has frozen up for several seconds.
2. Lack of sensitivity from remote to HR24. Often skips a number in a 3 number channel. When I try to hold down the channel button for an extra second to make sure it takes, the number sometimes is duplicated. New batteries didn't help.
3. I have had more rain fade in 3 months than I had in 8 years with E.

As I mentioned above, I am still glad I made the switch. However, I would be even happier if the above 3 issues would disappear...

I switched from E* 3 months ago and I agree with just about everything said in this thread. Overall, I feel I made the right choice. Having said that, there are 3 negatives with D* that I didn't have with E*.

1. Agonizingly slow response many times with remote to HR24. Sometimes it seems like it has frozen up for several seconds.
2. Lack of sensitivity from remote to HR24. Often skips a number in a 3 number channel. When I try to hold down the channel button for an extra second to make sure it takes, the number sometimes is duplicated. New batteries didn't help.
3. I have had more rain fade in 3 months than I had in 8 years with E.

As I mentioned above, I am still glad I made the switch. However, I would be even happier if the above 3 issues would disappear...

Try doing a reboot, force a software download, may help the remote issues.
While your at it, check your signal strength, it's possible that your dish is not pinpointed as well as it could be.

Try doing a reboot, force a software download, may help the remote issues.

I've done that -- several times and it seems to improve a bit, but soon slows down. Another problem I have had is getting the scoreguide to work. I often have to push the red button several times before the scores will come up. This sometimes takes a few minutes...and a reboot didn't help with this problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)