My VOOM Evaluation After Three Months

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Other Evaluations:

1 - My Voom Evaluation after One Month
2 - My Voom Evaluation after Two Months

Wow! it has been already three months. How do I feel about VOOM now? What has improved? What is lacking? Where do I stand?

These are some of the questions that I will try to answer in this evaluation. Voom now has 33 HD channels; Cinemax-H and HBO-HD were added and have provided over 70+ movies per month of "A" type movies. This in combination with Show-HD, Starz-HD, TMC-HD, Cinema 10, Monsters-HD & Epics-HD, gives VOOM the lead in having the most comprehensive library of High Definition movies anywhere! I do not think you can find the combinations of all these library of movies in one place, but VOOM. So if you are a high definition movie addict, this is where it is. Remember Encore-HD is coming and if IFC is next to go HD where do you think it will be shown first?

Where can VOOM improve?

In sport events, VOOM is still behind. WorldSport-HD is showing live soccer games, which are outstanding, but we also need other events sucha as Pro and College Basketball, Pro Baseball, etc. In a nutshell, we need ESPN-HD, INHD 1 & 2 and NBA-TV. I understand that these are hard to get because Sports demands more money and contracts are hard to get but VOOM will greatly attract all HD sports fanatics if they can bring these channels. Imagine having the latters plus NLF-HD, TNT-HD, and Rush-HD. If VOOM can get these, it will be become the HD LEADER and leave behind all others.

HDnews: great channel and enjoy every minute of it. Brand new and I expect it only will get better.

Animania: we need more programming

Treasure: It's a constant loop

Gallery: Great that there has been more programs but we need more

MOOV: no evaluation. Don't ask me why

Frustrations:

The constant audio dropouts and the signal drop has not been easy to tolerate. Putting all in perspective I am willing to wait and see if the new software upgrade will resolve a lot of these issues. The STB also has issues that have been frustrating. Like having to change one of my boxes because it just deteriorated to the point where it never responded. I am really hoping that all the technical problems get resolved soon.

New Offers:

These offers are great for new customers. This is all good for new subs and for us as well. The fact that we got $300 back in future programming credit was good as well. The lease program seem to be so attractive. I have yet to figure out all the details.

Programming in General:

I guess I could never have dreamed of saying this but my SD watching has been reduced to probably two or three programs per week. My 6000u has been on twice in the past month. My 721 is collecting dust because is not recording SD programs anymore. I can see how some cannot live without some of their SD channels - like Scifi, TechTV, etc. I myself thought that I could not live without them but after experiencing HD programming all the time, there is no going back. So I said goodbye SD compressed channels.

In conclusion, it will be foolish for me to go back to E*. There's no way! I am cancelling my netflix subscription soon because I can't watch DVD's anymore. I have no time for them. I will be reducing the E* programming soon after my next month. I want to see all 39 HD channels and evaluate the video and sound and make sure that there's no degradation in the HD video. Once this is done, I will reduce my E* subscription and transfer all the money to VOOM. This is a no brainer if everything works out as planned.

Last thing: I bought two HDTVs and VOOM has provided something that E* has never provided -- HD programming.

Sean,
How is the picture quality on the SD channels? When I had E* the compression really showed up on my projection tv. Wasnt bad on 35" tube but horrible blown up to 55". I dont watch it much but wife will not be happy if travel channel isn't pretty clear. Also what kind of antenna do they put up for networks? Cant wait till March 3rd for Voom to be installed. Gave up on Charter cable adding HD channels.

pmalve said:
Sean,
How is the picture quality on the SD channels? When I had E* the compression really showed up on my projection tv. Wasnt bad on 35" tube but horrible blown up to 55". I dont watch it much but wife will not be happy if travel channel isn't pretty clear. Also what kind of antenna do they put up for networks? Cant wait till March 3rd for Voom to be installed. Gave up on Charter cable adding HD channels.

I do not watch much SD programming anymore. I can tell you that the SD picture is as good as E* and better in the movies HD channels when is broadcasting SD. Maybe another member can give you a better idea of the SD picture quality with some sample comparison of channels.

Hey Sean, I'm glad to see someone else has quit watching SD altogether. I dropped all Dish SD programming except my locals so I could have a program guide for my 6000. All I sub to is the HD Pack and I pick up all of my locals OTA.

I was really turned on to VOOM until I saw they were raising the rates to $49.95 in April. It sounds like a cable run satellite company just can't keep it's paws off your wallet. What's to stop them from going to $79.95 a year from now? I was considering dropping Dish altogether and going with VOOM but I can't stomach the $50/month so I will probably stay with my $10 Dish pack and starve for more HD content.

I hope people will put the pressure on VOOM to offer just an HD pack at half the cost of the programming, I would sign up today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)