n00b question about Native

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Deac2010

Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
NC
Should I use native???

It's set up that way for me...do I need to change the settings, or do I get the best quality like this?

I hate my TV flashing EVERY TIME I change channels.

Thanks!

(p.s. - installation went fantastic!!!)

Set it for the TV resolution. You sound like me... It'll drive you nuts if you don't.

how do i find my TV resolution?

i know it was made for up to 1080p...

....also, how do i change these settings. and do i keep native on or turn it off?

menu - setup - system setup - HDTV - TV Resolutions

This is where you will set the resolution.

menu - setup - system setup - HDTV - Video

This is where you set native to off

The 1080p option in the menu is only available if they used a HDMI cable to connect the box to your TV.

Use the menu option he describes above and set it to 1080i with 1080p available. This will allow 1080p programing to be viewed in 1080p.

the front of the box was still lit up to "720p" on HD channels, so i switched it to 1080i using the "Res" button on the front.

the front of the box was still lit up to "720p" on HD channels, so i switched it to 1080i using the "Res" button on the front.

Use the format button on your remote to change it on the box.

IMO 720P is a lot better than 1080i if you watch anything with a lot of movement (sports, action movies, etc) otherwise the difference is minimal.

IMO 720P is a lot better than 1080i if you watch anything with a lot of movement (sports, action movies, etc) otherwise the difference is minimal.

Agreed.

Use the menu to set it because there is also a 1080p enable button you want to select.

Do this:

Menu
Parental, Fav, Setup
System Setup
HDTV
TV Resolutions

Put a check in 720p and 1080p

I would not fully agree with that as CBS has some of the best looking football in HD.

Deac2010, you will just need to find a setting that looks best for you. This discussion is difficult as everybody will have different opinions on the subject.

I would set it at 1080i since you have a 1080p TV

This is exactly right, and I've been told the same thing by ISF calibrators.

Many 1080p tv's have an issue scaling 720p to 1080p, so they like getting a 1080i signal from the box better.

Ignore the guy who yapped on about motion and 720p because it does not factor into the discussion.

This is exactly right, and I've been told the same thing by ISF calibrators.

Many 1080p tv's have an issue scaling 720p to 1080p, so they like getting a 1080i signal from the box better.

Ignore the guy who yapped on about motion and 720p because it does not factor into the discussion.

+1. I went through the same thing when I first upgraded DTV to HD with my HR22, and I set it to 1080i with Native Off at the advice of the guys here, and it works great. No problems and faster channel changing.

You're tv, the 85u (I owned it too), is one that really likes 1080i better. Even OTA sources that were 720p, looked better as 1080i if I let the HDDVR turn the OTA 720p into 1080i, and then send it to the TV.

My new Regza, on the other hand, seems to do very well with 720p, so i think Ill start on Native.

Key is - try a sampling of both. Some TV's do better scaling, some don't...

Don't discount native resolution, too. If you tend to watch a ton of 720p networks (FOX, ABC,ESON,etc), try 720p. Same for 1080i.

Don't discount native resolution, too.

The only thing I don't like about native is the delay and flicker when you change the channel. Having the TV set to just one resolution takes that annoyance away.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts