NASA TV not HD but getting better!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BigRyan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Texas
DIRECTV still refuses to re-broadcast NASA TV in HD. They continue to capture the feed and down convert it to standard definition. However they other day they started AT LEAST broadcasting NASA in 16x9 (widescreen) so this is a step in the right direction.

They will continue for now to require us to have HD equipment to receive the SD channel, but at least the picture isn't stretched out anymore.

I know what you mean, I got into FTA for one channel, NASA HD and still to this day that's the only way to receive it in HD. Although the online stream is OK, can't receive that at a dark sky site.

DIRECTV still refuses to re-broadcast NASA TV in HD. They continue to capture the feed and down convert it to standard definition. However they other day they started AT LEAST broadcasting NASA in 16x9 (widescreen) so this is a step in the right direction.

They will continue for now to require us to have HD equipment to receive the SD channel, but at least the picture isn't stretched out anymore.
Well ... it's actually in 16:9 letterbox SD, but still a step in the right direction as you say I guess.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

I don't see that is widescreen SD (either like BYU or BabyFirst MPEG4 true 16:9 SD or like CCTV News or CNBC World anamorphic), it's still letterboxed.....

I don't see that is widescreen SD (either like BYU or BabyFirst MPEG4 true 16:9 SD or like CCTV News or CNBC World anamorphic), it's still letterboxed.....
Actually BYU is now anamorphic (or "squish-o-vision") like CCTV News and CNBC World.

Well until now the sides of the screen were cropped off, and now at least we can see the whole 16x9 picture, not stretched, and it fills the screen. Like I said getting better.

If you have good Internet, do yourselves a favor and get a Roku or AppleTV and watch NASA TV via the App. It's fullscreen 1080p HD. But yeah, I wish the satellite providers would pick up the full HD NASA feed and put that up on the birds.

If you have good Internet, do yourselves a favor and get a Roku or AppleTV and watch NASA TV via the App. It's fullscreen 1080p HD. But yeah, I wish the satellite providers would pick up the full HD NASA feed and put that up on the birds.
Yes, the ROKU is a nice device to have, although I mostly use it for PleX, I am also streaming the 4K NASA UHD feed (at 107w) from the PC to the ROKU 4 using smartdvb. The ROKU 4 supports HEVC h265 2160p@60Hz.

As for NASA TV I stream the url directly to the ROKUs in my house from the PleX IPTV plugin.

Here is my .m3u file

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0 group-title="C-Band",NASA UHD (TCP)
http://192.168.0.34:8080/smartdvb

#EXTINF:0 group-title="C-Band",NASA UHD (UDP)
udp://192.168.0.255:8888

#EXTINF:0 tvg-logo="http://192.168.0.1/images/NASA.jpg" group-title="Online",NASA HD (Online)
http://nasatv-lh.akamaihd.net/i/NASA_101@319270/index_1000_av-p.m3u8

Reactions: Foxbat
Oh, and a new MPEG-4 SD channel the "Jewish Broadcasting Service" is live now on ch. 388.

And it's anamorphic or squish-o-vision. Sign ...

Yeah I made a thread when it showed up on the app. I, a while back, begrudgingly changed my Genie from "pillar box" to "Original format - screen format is unaltered" which still stretches everything SD out (but gives the visual appearance that I am trying) because there are more anamorphic channels than traditional 4:3 so pillar box does more harm than good most of the time now, which is disappointing.

That would be nice. The video that the ISS sends looks awesome streaming in HD. Putting this on satellite is a plus for people who can't get a fast internet connection and with the ISP's starting to enforce data caps, satellite distribution would be nice. I understand the people who want the HD versions of some channels, so maybe they could use the reverse band for NASA HD or 4K when they start having more programming in 4K.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)