NASA TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bnaivar

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 4, 2003
Atlanta, GA
What model of satellite receiver is required to receive NASA TV? I know it has to be a digital receiver. Also, how does one bullseye a satellite that's only transmitting digital signals? The old receiver and a TV method of tuning a c-band dish won't work, right? I'm guessing it will involve a spectrum analyzer.

Any brand of receiver that is mpeg2 dvb will work for recieving Nasa. You still can use the digital reciever and tv to aim at a digital satellite, you only need to set the transponder frequency you are trying to find and watch the qulity meter built into the reciever. That's the way most of the people find a satellite, since most of us don't have a spectrum analyser.

My method - the redneck way :)
Lawn mower trailer loaded with analog receiver (old HTS) for actuator & servo control, digital receiver (CoolSat 6000) for monitoring the signal, old 13" crt color TV, and (of course) the IBM T61 ThinkPad notebook with Verizon Broadband PCMCIA card dialed in for access to SatelliteGuys.us (FireFox Tab1) & LyngSat.com (FireFox Tab2).
Oh, and I almost forgot, (most important!) - 12V refrigerated ice chest loaded with Mtn Dew & white plastic patio chair sitting in the shade of the dish.
The neighbors just shake their heads...
Who needs a SA when you have all this???

Did you want the unencrypted Ku feed of NASA off the Dish bird at 119°?
(yes, it's legit - :cool: )
Or, are you talking about the NASA channels on C-band?
Ya didn't actually say you had a C-band dish...

If the former, and that's all you want, then pretty much any cheap FTA receiver, and an 18" dish with a circular LNB will do.
Any old DirecTv or Dish Network dish you find in a dumpster can probably be pressed into service.

Oops sorry. I am looking for the NASA feeds on C-band. My school wants to participate in the Robo games coming up in January. For some reason they need the digital NASA feeds on C-band.

New question: If I don't have a digital LNB will I see the digital carriers at all with a Spectrum analyzer?

I basically get NASA in three places. 119w (Ku) on the one unencrypted station there . 137w (C) has a group of them , as does one satellite down in the 70s west longitudes.

All with Viewsat and Sonicview HD

bnaivar you won't need any fancy lnb to pick up AMC6 c-band. Any good , reasonably stable lnb that works for c-band will do it. That's all I've ever had, and they work just fine for NASA. I've picked it up on a 5' c-band dish before, but bigger dishes will bring you stronger signals and more stable video.

bnaivar, as TurboSat mentioned, Satellite 72.0W has 3 great Nasa Channels, and a Pittsburg Channel, and they are fairly easy to pick up on C Band. Last time I checked they were Assembling and Stacking the Shuttle Endeavor on a huge Crain, - now thats what I call a heavy duty crain.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts