National Geographic Channel HD coming to Verizon this month:

LonghornXP

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
For those of you with Verizon FIOS TV service NGC HD should be up and running this month. I got the official word from Verizon and its also on the NGC HD website as well. This channel will like other HD channels be free of charge if you have an HD box.

juan said:
How much extra is the HD Box?

9.95/month for the HD box or 12.95/month for the HD DVR. The HD DVR doesn't have any DVR fee so that 12.95/month fee is your total and final cost for the HD DVR. If you currently have Verizon FIOS TV you can goto the NGC HD website at the following link below.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/hd/

On this page click the Go link on the bottom of the page to view their channel locater site. On this site enter just your zip code so in the case of Temple Terrace I entered in the zip code 33617 and clicked continue. On the next page you must select the provider from the list. In this case I selected Verizon-Temple Terrace, FL from that list. Once I did this it says the following below in quotes.

"NGCHD
Great news! Verizon will launch National Geographic Channel High Definition (NGCHD) in January, 2006. Tune into NGCHD, and start enjoying the National Geographic Channel's award-winning shows with theater-like picture quality and sound."

I hope this helps you out.

LonghornXP, FIOS will be coming to my area soon. (Howard Co. MD) Where would I find detailed specs and comparisons of their HD DVR to say D*s current HR10-250?? I've been to the Verizon FIOS website, but not much info there. Tks in advance.--Ray

Last edited:
raymo721 said:
LonghornXP, FIOS will be coming to my area soon. (Howard Co. MD) Where would I find detailed specs and comparisons of their HD DVR to say D*s current HR10-250?? I've been to the Verizon FIOS website, but not much info there. Tks in advance.--Ray

The Verizon HD DVR is very close to the same as the current Motorola cable HD DVR that many Comcast areas have but with Microsoft software instead of comcast based iguide software. The Verizon HD DVR also has a 160GB hard drive. Just consider it like another cable company DVR product.

9.95 for each hd box!!! Sounds like slick marketing to me. Hide the cost of the(FREE HD) channels in the lease fee!!

LonghornXP said:
9.95/month for the HD box or 12.95/month for the HD DVR. The HD DVR doesn't have any DVR fee so that 12.95/month fee is your total and final cost for the HD DVR. If you currently have Verizon FIOS TV you can goto the NGC HD website at the following link below.
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/hd/
On this page click the Go link on the bottom of the page to view their channel locater site. On this site enter just your zip code so in the case of Temple Terrace I entered in the zip code 33617 and clicked continue. On the next page you must select the provider from the list. In this case I selected Verizon-Temple Terrace, FL from that list. Once I did this it says the following below in quotes.
"NGCHD
Great news! Verizon will launch National Geographic Channel High Definition (NGCHD) in January, 2006. Tune into NGCHD, and start enjoying the National Geographic Channel's award-winning shows with theater-like picture quality and sound."
I hope this helps you out.
If the DVR doesn't have a "DVR FEE " why is it 3 dollars a month more than a standard box!! Sounds like more slick marketing

Will"cable card" technology work with Verizon Fios? If it does then Fios ould become very very competitive!!

juan said:
Will"cable card" technology work with Verizon Fios? If it does then Fios ould become very very competitive!!

fios is already very competitive. they already have a 25 percent market share in keller, tx and that is after two months of being out there.

cable cards are good for the bed room, second tv etc. they will start to take off alot more when there is two way communication (cable guide, ppv ordering). and they have already said the 2 way communitcation will not be compatible with 1st gen cable card slots.

juan said:
If the DVR doesn't have a "DVR FEE " why is it 3 dollars a month more than a standard box!! Sounds like more slick marketing

I guess that 160GB hard drive that isn't inside the standard box doesn't cost anything does it. I was making a point that Verizon's HD DVR only costs 12.95/month. Lets not forget that many Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks areas including my cable company have both a rental fee and an DVR fee which I'll list below.

Bright House Networks charges the following below.

Plain digital cost is 6.95/month while Verizon charges 3.95/month.
HD box (non DVR) costs 6.95/month with BHN while Verizon charges 9.95/month.
SD DVR box costs 6.95/month (rental) "and" 6.95/month (DVR fee) with BHN while Verizon only charges 12.95/month total. Keep in mind that Verizon only offers an HD DVR and not an SD DVR but the HD DVR can fully support and output in the non HD format like an SD DVR does today.

HD DVR from BHN costs 6.95/month (rental) "and" 9.95/month (DVR Fee) while Verizon charges only 12.95/month total.

Also keep in mind that BHN charges an extra 6 bucks a month for their HD Pak while Verizon doesn't have an extra HD Package.

So just for HD I pay the following below to BHN on just the HDTV front.

I have three HD DVR boxes so I pay the following below.
6.95/month (rental) x 3 = 21.00/month rounded off.
9.95/month (DVR Fee) x 3 = 30.00/month rounded off.
6.00/month for HD Pak

So I pay a total of 57.00/month for this.

With Verizon I pay the following below to get my HD DVR boxes and HD channels.

12.95/month x 3 = 39.00/month.

So lets see what the better deal is now. I pay BHN 57.00/month for three HD DVRs to get their HD channels on.

I pay Verizon 18.00/month less than I do BHN for the same HD DVR boxes and I get more national and local HD channels than I do with BHN. Clearly one is the better deal.

LonghornXP said:
I guess that 160GB hard drive that isn't inside the standard box doesn't cost anything does it. I was making a point that Verizon's HD DVR only costs 12.95/month. Lets not forget that many Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks areas including my cable company have both a rental fee and an DVR fee which I'll list below.
Bright House Networks charges the following below.
Plain digital cost is 6.95/month while Verizon charges 3.95/month.
HD box (non DVR) costs 6.95/month with BHN while Verizon charges 9.95/month.
SD DVR box costs 6.95/month (rental) "and" 6.95/month (DVR fee) with BHN while Verizon only charges 12.95/month total. Keep in mind that Verizon only offers an HD DVR and not an SD DVR but the HD DVR can fully support and output in the non HD format like an SD DVR does today.
HD DVR from BHN costs 6.95/month (rental) "and" 9.95/month (DVR Fee) while Verizon charges only 12.95/month total.
Also keep in mind that BHN charges an extra 6 bucks a month for their HD Pak while Verizon doesn't have an extra HD Package.
So just for HD I pay the following below to BHN on just the HDTV front.
I have three HD DVR boxes so I pay the following below.
6.95/month (rental) x 3 = 21.00/month rounded off.
9.95/month (DVR Fee) x 3 = 30.00/month rounded off.
6.00/month for HD Pak
So I pay a total of 57.00/month for this.
With Verizon I pay the following below to get my HD DVR boxes and HD channels.
12.95/month x 3 = 39.00/month.
So lets see what the better deal is now. I pay BHN 57.00/month for three HD DVRs to get their HD channels on.
I pay Verizon 18.00/month less than I do BHN for the same HD DVR boxes and I get more national and local HD channels than I do with BHN. Clearly one is the better deal.
I entirely agree its a much better deal than cable can offer

this is the first month where i am paying full price for brighthouse. bill camesaturday and wife was asking me what all the fees were for. i did not understand it until i read longhorn's post.

LonghornXP said:
The Verizon HD DVR is very close to the same as the current Motorola cable HD DVR that many Comcast areas have but with Microsoft software instead of comcast based iguide software. The Verizon HD DVR also has a 160GB hard drive. Just consider it like another cable company DVR product.
Tks LonghornXP, but I've never had a cable dvr just my Tivo's. I assume from everything I've read and experienced with my Tivo's they are superior? I wonder if Verizon will ever partner with Tivo like Comcast. I have to agree with the cost difference you brought to light. That beats what I pay D* hands down!---Ray

Last edited:
raymo721 said:
Tks LonghornXP, but I've never had a cable dvr just my Tivo's. I assume from everything I've read and experienced with my Tivo's they are superior? I wonder if Verizon will ever partner with Tivo like Comcast. I have to agree with the cost difference you brought to light. That beats what I pay D* hands down!---Ray

The cable company DVRs aren't better than Tivos yet on the GUI side of things. They can just record from the program guide and they do this very very well but you get none of the Tivo specific recording features. They also have many little quirks that can greatly annoy ex Tivo people but you can get used to those tradeoffs when you can record two shows at once and in HDTV to boot. I would love Verizon to partner with Tivo but I haven't heard anything about Tivo at all so that doesn't look good from my point of view today but that could always change at a later date.

Tks LonghornXP for your help. I know it'll be a while before FIOS is up and running here, so I'll keep checking back to keep up to date on things. I'll keep my fingers crossed on a TIVO/FIOS marriage also!! Seems like a logical step to me!--Ray

Very strange, isn't it. You go to NGC's site and they say that it's up and running, but as we know- that ain't true! You can even go to the SD channel and shows will say "Available in HD" or something of the sort. Wonder what the hold up is.

mindgrind said:
Very strange, isn't it. You go to NGC's site and they say that it's up and running, but as we know- that ain't true! You can even go to the SD channel and shows will say "Available in HD" or something of the sort. Wonder what the hold up is.

I'm still trying to find this information out without luck so far. Whatever I find out I'll post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)