NBA 2008-09 Season

H-O-R-S-E to be part of NBA all-star weekend

H-O-R-S-E has galloped into the NBA's all-star weekend.

The popular shooting contest will be part of TNT's coverage of all-star Saturday night, the American television network announced Tuesday. Three NBA players, who will be revealed later, will take part.

The competition will take place outdoors at the NBA's all-star Block Party in Phoenix on Feb. 14. The dunk contest, three-point shootout and skills challenge are later Saturday night , and the all-star game is Sunday (TSN, TSN HD, 8pm et/5pm pt).

If a player makes a shot in H-O-R-S-E, the next competitor must make the same shot or receive a letter. Players will have 24 seconds to execute their shots, and an NBA referee will rule if they're done properly. Dunking won't be allowed.

A player gets an 'H' for his first miss and is eliminated once he has all five letters of the word.

oh darn I'm gonna miss it...North Dakota Hockey game on at the same time :D

Did Pete Maravich win the first H-O-R-S-E contest? I saw it, but I don't remember.

One big surprise of that contest was that when we finally got to see the round in which Maravich made some cool behind the back drive that had been featured in the promos, the player that followed him, Maurice Lucas, matched it.

George Gervin and someone else didn't have any trick shots. No matter who was leading, the shot was "Jump Shot. From here."

Last edited:
Now I remember:

Well, I was supposed to play Pete Maravich in the finals at halftime. As it turned out, Pete got injured. It was decided that I would compete against a mystery opponent. Rick Barry, who was part of CBS’s announcing team for that day’s NBA telecast along with Brent Musberger, was going to be disguised as the unknown basketball player. If people remember the unknown comic at that time, the guy with the bag over his head, well they decided to put a bag over Rick’s head. Normally, he could make like nine out of 10 free throws blindfolded, so they thought they would have him go up there and make a free throw with this bag over his head. They figured I would miss it being blindfolded. Then they were going to say, “That’s ok, you get the prize anyway,” and then give me the check or whatever it was. They didn’t announce that it was Rick Barry, but he shot his free throws underhand, he was 6-7 and he was wearing the white suit that he was wearing to do the broadcast, just with a bag over his head. I think most people were in on the joke. If they didn’t know, they didn’t follow basketball. Anyway, turns out Rick missed his and I made mine and it screwed up the whole script. Brent Musberger didn’t know what to say, and I didn’t either. When it was over, I don’t recall if he revealed himself, but that’s how it played out.

Winner by default, Paul Westphal

Gotta love the effort the NYC tabloids put to try to get either Lebron, Wade OR BOTH to become Knicks. I will not deny that IT COULD happen with one, I still think IF anyone was to go 1st, it would be Lebron...but to get BOTH??!! I think I have a better chance to become the starting catcher for the Florida Marlins before the Knicks or ANYONE gets BOTH Wade AND Lebron.

WADE, LEBRON TANDEM 'NOT CRAZY' FOR 2010 RELATED STORIES

By MARC BERMAN

Last updated: 6:01 am
January 31, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS - Dwyane Wade acknowledged last night "it's not crazy" to speculate that he and LeBron James could tag-team their way to the Big Apple as free agents in 2010.

Wade, following the Heat's loss to the Pacers, told The Post he and James could join forces in 2010, with the Knicks not out of the question. Wade indicated they have talked about the potential scenario, and both played for Mike D'Antoni last summer while winning a gold medal at the Olympics.

"It's not crazy," Wade told The Post in the visitor's locker room of Indiana's Conseco Fieldhouse. "It could happen. We both understand that. We both signed the same contract. We did it together. More than anything, it's fun to think about. It's exciting to know we both control our future. Will it happen? Who knows. He has some something he's trying to accomplish in Cleveland. I have something I'm trying to accomplish in Miami. But up until 2010, it will be fun to think about."

WADE, LEBRON TANDEM 'NOT CRAZY' FOR 2010 - New York Post

And HERE is the difference between Wade and Lebron....he at least TRIES to squash the rumor. YES, it is a possibility, but highly unlikely. He HAS stated he want to be a HEAT player for life. Lebron just won't stop the talk about ALL the possibilities once he becomes a free agent.

Guard Dwyane Wade committed to Miami Heat

BY MICHAEL WALLACE(mwallace@MiamiHerald.com)

All-Star guard Dwyane Wade said Tuesday he remains committed to the Miami Heat, but said he would explore all of his options should he elect to opt out of his contract and become a free agent in 2010.

Days after suggesting the possibility of becoming a teammate of LeBron James after the two become free agents in 2010, Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade shot down at least one potential destination for the star-studded tandem: New York.

Wade said Tuesday that he remains committed to the Heat for now and could see himself spending the rest of his career in Miami. But Wade also said he would explore all of his options should he elect to opt out of his contract and become a free agent in 2010, the same summer several of the NBA's top players have options.

James, the Cleveland Cavaliers forward, is expected to be the most sought-after free agent in 2010 as part of a class that also includes Wade, Toronto's Chris Bosh and Phoenix's Amare Stoudemire.

''Is it a possibility me and LeBron will play together? It's always a possibility,'' Wade said after the Heat's practice Tuesday at AmericanAirlines Arena. ``We're both free agents. Is it a possibility I'm going to New York? That's not a possibility in my mind.''

That's the strongest stance yet Wade has taken on his potential free agency in 2010. His comments came on the heels of a New York Post story published Friday in which Wade was quoted as saying he and James could end up as teammates.

But Wade took exception to some of the comments attributed to him in the story and said Friday that he never implied that the two would play in New York. The Knicks are among several teams that are clearing significant salary cap space to make a run at James and another top-tier free agent. The Heat also is among those teams angling to sign two players to maximum-level deals.

Wade said he takes the questions about his future in stride. But he also said his comments sometimes are taken completely out of context.

''Everybody puts their quotes where they want to put them [but], you know what you say,'' Wade said. ``I understand how things get twisted. I just laugh at it and keep going.''

Guard Dwyane Wade committed to Miami Heat - Sports - MiamiHerald.com

NBA - Toronto Raptors/Cleveland Cavaliers Box Score Tuesday February 3, 2009 - Yahoo! Sports

At least the Raptors showed more effort than the Clippers did when they visited Cleveland!

Sabres, the Cavs were up by 22 points at the end of the 1st quarter! I think it's safe to say they hit cruise control the rest of the way.

Either way.......23-0! Still unbeaten at home! Whoever said home-court doesn't matter hasn't told that to Cleveland fans or the Cavs.

Oh and one more thing: LeBron scored his 12,000 point last night. He became the fastest player in NBA history to reach the 12,000-point plateau at 24 years, 35 days.

Next up: NY Knicks at MSG! Bring the popcorn Sandra!

Yup. We were down Sasha Pavlovic, Lorenzen Wright, Delonte West and Tarence Kinsey.

Tonight's game against the Knicks is going to be extremely challenging for several reasons. It's the second of a back-to-back and on the road. Our depth is pretty thin with several injuries and illnesses. The Knicks are a running team. They like to sprint down court and jack up shots. That style of ball can wear a team out, especially on the road during a back-to-back.

Gotta love the effort the NYC tabloids put to try to get either Lebron, Wade OR BOTH to become Knicks. I will not deny that IT COULD happen with one, I still think IF anyone was to go 1st, it would be Lebron...but to get BOTH??!! I think I have a better chance to become the starting catcher for the Florida Marlins before the Knicks or ANYONE gets BOTH Wade AND Lebron.

WADE, LEBRON TANDEM 'NOT CRAZY' FOR 2010 RELATED STORIES

By MARC BERMAN

Last updated: 6:01 am
January 31, 2009

INDIANAPOLIS - Dwyane Wade acknowledged last night "it's not crazy" to speculate that he and LeBron James could tag-team their way to the Big Apple as free agents in 2010.

Wade, following the Heat's loss to the Pacers, told The Post he and James could join forces in 2010, with the Knicks not out of the question. Wade indicated they have talked about the potential scenario, and both played for Mike D'Antoni last summer while winning a gold medal at the Olympics.

"It's not crazy," Wade told The Post in the visitor's locker room of Indiana's Conseco Fieldhouse. "It could happen. We both understand that. We both signed the same contract. We did it together. More than anything, it's fun to think about. It's exciting to know we both control our future. Will it happen? Who knows. He has some something he's trying to accomplish in Cleveland. I have something I'm trying to accomplish in Miami. But up until 2010, it will be fun to think about."

WADE, LEBRON TANDEM 'NOT CRAZY' FOR 2010 - New York Post

And HERE is the difference between Wade and Lebron....he at least TRIES to squash the rumor. YES, it is a possibility, but highly unlikely. He HAS stated he want to be a HEAT player for life. Lebron just won't stop the talk about ALL the possibilities once he becomes a free agent.

Guard Dwyane Wade committed to Miami Heat

BY MICHAEL WALLACE(mwallace@MiamiHerald.com)

All-Star guard Dwyane Wade said Tuesday he remains committed to the Miami Heat, but said he would explore all of his options should he elect to opt out of his contract and become a free agent in 2010.

Days after suggesting the possibility of becoming a teammate of LeBron James after the two become free agents in 2010, Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade shot down at least one potential destination for the star-studded tandem: New York.

Wade said Tuesday that he remains committed to the Heat for now and could see himself spending the rest of his career in Miami. But Wade also said he would explore all of his options should he elect to opt out of his contract and become a free agent in 2010, the same summer several of the NBA's top players have options.

James, the Cleveland Cavaliers forward, is expected to be the most sought-after free agent in 2010 as part of a class that also includes Wade, Toronto's Chris Bosh and Phoenix's Amare Stoudemire.

''Is it a possibility me and LeBron will play together? It's always a possibility,'' Wade said after the Heat's practice Tuesday at AmericanAirlines Arena. ``We're both free agents. Is it a possibility I'm going to New York? That's not a possibility in my mind.''

That's the strongest stance yet Wade has taken on his potential free agency in 2010. His comments came on the heels of a New York Post story published Friday in which Wade was quoted as saying he and James could end up as teammates.

But Wade took exception to some of the comments attributed to him in the story and said Friday that he never implied that the two would play in New York. The Knicks are among several teams that are clearing significant salary cap space to make a run at James and another top-tier free agent. The Heat also is among those teams angling to sign two players to maximum-level deals.

Wade said he takes the questions about his future in stride. But he also said his comments sometimes are taken completely out of context.

''Everybody puts their quotes where they want to put them [but], you know what you say,'' Wade said. ``I understand how things get twisted. I just laugh at it and keep going.''

Guard Dwyane Wade committed to Miami Heat - Sports - MiamiHerald.com

Yawn.

NY Media is up to their old bag of tricks again, eh? Soak it all in NY. Tonight will be the last time you see LeBron in MSG this year. And btw, the Cavs are a better team. Give it up. He's not going to be a Knickerbocker.

you hope....:p

I don't wish to rehash this tired debate again. This stupid speculation has been going on for way too long and will continue until he signs a new contract in 2010. It only gains fire every time LBJ and the Cavs visit MSG. I just hate that this whole contract debate is taking away from what he and the Cavs are doing right now in Cleveland. If you wish to talk hypotheticals and you get kicks out of rumors maybe you should hit up your buddy Stephen A** Smith..... :p

ESPN's saying Orlando's Jameer Nelson has a torn labrum and is debating season ending surgery. This is indeed very unfortunate.......

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3881430"]MRI reveals that Orlando Magic's Jameer Nelson has torn labrum - ESPN[/ame]

I don't wish to rehash this tired debate again. This stupid speculation has been going on for way too long and will continue until he signs a new contract in 2010. It only gains fire every time LBJ and the Cavs visit MSG. I just hate that this whole contract debate is taking away from what he and the Cavs are doing right now in Cleveland. If you wish to talk hypotheticals and you get kicks out of rumors maybe you should hit up your buddy Stephen A** Smith..... :p

WHERE are you getting that is taking away from what the Cavs have done?? :confused: Have you read this somewhere that we are not aware of....? The ONLY time it is talk about is when they play the Knicks or the Nets and they have to be in NYC.

WHERE are you getting that is taking away from what the Cavs have done?? :confused: Have you read this somewhere that we are not aware of....? The ONLY time it is talk about is when they play the Knicks or the Nets and they have to be in NYC.

If you lived in either market, you'd be fully aware of the talk. It's ongoing and is simply elevated when they play each other.

Last edited:
For those of you who missed LeBron blocking Chris Bosh's dunk attemt last night.....

"Get dat weak stuff outa hear!" :D

187_bron_bosh_blk.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts