NBA commissioner has to hold the league owners accountable...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
..according to Dave Stern, he wants the players to cut their salary by 1/3 of what they currently make. Yet, no where do you see that he holds the owners accountable since they are the one's who sign the contract. The representatives of these players do NOT put a gun to their heads forcing them to sign the dotted line.

Updated: October 21, 2010, 7:53 PM ET

NBA wants marked drop in player costs

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- NBA commissioner David Stern said Thursday there was no quantifiable progress in collective bargaining talks over the summer, and the league revealed it is seeking a reduction in player salary costs by about one-third.

Stern said the league wants player costs to drop $750 million to $800 million. Deputy commissioner Adam Silver said the NBA spends about $2.1 billion annually in player salaries and benefits.

"We would like to get profitable, have a return on investment," Stern said. "There's a swing of somewhere in the neighborhood of $750 to $800 million that we would like to change. That's our story and we're sticking with it."

Stern and Silver spoke after completing two days of meetings with league owners, who are seeking major changes to the current CBA that expires June 30. Silver said the league has told the union that owners are in a "diseconomic situation," with projected league-wide losses of about $340 million to $350 million this season.

Though season ticket sales are up, both insisted that no matter how well the league does at the box office, it won't change the fact that an overhaul is necessary to a system in which the players receive 57 percent of basketball-related income.

"Even though we reported we have record season ticket sales over the summer and otherwise very robust revenue generation, because of the built-in cost of the system, it's virtually impossible for us to move the needle in terms of our losses," Silver said.

"There's no chance we can change the fundamental economics regardless of our success because it just costs us too much money to generate those sales."

David Stern: NBA wants player salaries cut by a third - ESPN

Who knows what to believe from these people? We would need some third party to come in and look over the books in order to find out what is really going on.

Who knows what to believe from these people? We would need some third party to come in and look over the books in order to find out what is really going on.

But Ramy, that's just it....as far as I can tell and remember, EVERY owner has always said the same thing.....'my personal business and why should I open my books to you....'

But Ramy, that's just it....as far as I can tell and remember, EVERY owner has always said the same thing.....'my personal business and why should I open my books to you....'

Because in many cases the public is paying for subsidies to build new stadiums, provide police and fire safety during games, and giving huge tax breaks to these idiots when they threaten to take their teams to a new local.

Make them live with a balanced budget just like everyone else. The best place to start balancing the budget is in the payroll.

Because in many cases the public is paying for subsidies to build new stadiums, provide police and fire safety during games, and giving huge tax breaks to these idiots when they threaten to take their teams to a new local.

Make them live with a balanced budget just like everyone else. The best place to start balancing the budget is in the payroll.

And from another former Chicagoan:)up:D) to another, that would be great. BUT, you gotta know and see that there really is a reason why they(as the owners) are crying poverty every time you talk to ANY professional sports franchise owner when it comes to labor negotiations and such.

I understand that if it were a normal business, but we pay money to see these guys and if they really are hurting for money then us the fans will be the ones to pay.

The most over-used line in sports is the "nobody held a gun to their head" theory. Its dead wrong. The "gun" is the misapplication of the labor laws in such a way as to let the players form a so-called union, but refuse to bargain collectivly about wages, which is the heart of unionism.

It all goes back to the "collusion" case in baseball. Owners tried to conduct themselves properly. With NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER they were found guilty of "collusion" to keep wages down. The entire case was the union saying "more". No one has ever presented any evidence at all other than circumstances.

The answer, of course, is to stop misapplying the labor laws. Either the player can make a complete deal with management, including labor costs, like every other union worker, or they can not have a union. Simple fairness.

As to the NBA, of course, wages should go way down. As Kornheiser said, their options are to "play in France, or make French fries". This is a group of people with ONE SKILL. A skill that really has no application to the real world.

The NHL remains the guiding light of how to deal with players. They (as the represenatives of us, because in any strike it is always the owners as the represenatives of everyone else versus the workers) locked them out until they got a good dose of reality therapy. It was right and the result was good for everyone.

Simple Answer to a Simple Problem: the owners should create a yearly payscale and if the players don't like it they can step-off and find employment elsewhere. Offhand, I would recommend adopting the military or a teacher's payscale. Let's see here...a 1st-year player with a 4-year degree will be paid $36,500 next year which, in my honest opinion, is too much. ;)

Also, the owners should append some service level agreements to these contracts. For example, any player making 2M a year should be required to sink 80% of his free throws. The other SLAs should be based on a players position, the number of minutes played, and how well he performs against his peer group. For example, if a player has a low turnover ratio then the player deserved to be rewarded with a few extra ducats; be a fumble-fingers and give-back a few buckazoids.

Not sure about your city but in mine the person holding the event has to pay for the police security on site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts