NBA Hot Stove Thread

Paul Pierce eventually got over his, "I'm taking my jersey off to thumb my nose at the refs" phase. Maybe Rashhed will get over his, "Every ref is out to screw me and I'm going to make sure they know I think so" phase.

I can't believe this. Oh man I can't stand him as a man. Good player though.

I was part of the crew that covered the Bulls when they picked up Dennis Rodman. EVERYONE in Chicago was not only livid but wanted to run Jerry Krause out of town. And then a strange thing happened.....hustle, effort and good behavior, for Rodman. An the Bulls ended with THE best single season performance EVER in my eyes.

To me, the Bulls 72-10 season was MORE impressive than the Dolphins undefeated season.

Hedo Turkoglu, whom we thought was going to Portland, is going to sign with the Raptors.

I think it's a bit of a headscratcher- turning down a chance to play with a frighteningly good Blazers team and instead going with the underachieving Raptors.

Good choice or bad choice?

Hedo Turkoglu, whom we thought was going to Portland, is going to sign with the Raptors.

I think it's a bit of a headscratcher- turning down a chance to play with a frighteningly good Blazers team and instead going with the underachieving Raptors.

I am wondering if that was to show Bosh that they are supposedly trying to make an effort in Toronto....hmmmmm...:confused:

EDIT: After hearing the reason why he chose Toronto over Portland.....I can understand his choice.

Last edited:
Looks like the Pistons have their eyes on Avery Johnson as their next HC!

I like Avery Johnson and I think this could be a good fit.

Johnson believed to be Pistons' top

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Pistons president Joe Dumars is scheduled to have his first face-to-face meeting with Avery Johnson later this weekend regarding Detroit's coaching vacancy, according to NBA coaching sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that Dumars and Johnson, after discussing the job by phone, have planned to meet Sunday at Johnson's home in the Houston area, with Dumars intent on trying to hire his next coach before the Pistons begin summer-league play next week in Las Vegas.

After former-Pistons coach Doug Collins pulled out of consideration earlier this week, ESPN analyst Johnson was widely regarded as the leading candidate for the position, which was vacated by Tuesday's firing of Michael Curry.

Dumars, though, told the Detroit News that it is "not a given" that Johnson will be hired as Curry's replacement, with sources telling ESPN.com that Dumars has added Boston Celtics associate head coach Tom Thibodeau to an original list of candidates that featured Collins, Johnson and Cleveland Cavaliers assistant coach John Kuester.

Kuester and Thibodeau have no head-coaching experience in the NBA, which appeared to clash with Dumars' recent declaration that he thinks it is "best to move forward with a more experienced coach." It wasn't immediately clear Friday night if the Pistons have requested permission from either Kuester's or Thibodeau's current teams to speak with them.

Johnson has declined interview requests about the Pistons' search but said during the season that he would be more proactive in seeking jobs after completing a second season as a television analyst for ESPN. The 2008-09 season was Johnson's first in TV after the Dallas Mavericks fired him in May 2008 in the wake of a second successive first-round playoff oust.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4305278"]Sources: Detroit Pistons' Joe Dumars to meet with Avery Johnson - ESPN[/ame]

I am wondering if that was to show Bosh that they are supposedly trying to make an effort in Toronto....hmmmmm...:confused:

EDIT: After hearing the reason why he chose Toronto over Portland.....I can understand his choice.

Got to admit I was surprised by the choice, and even the salary numbers. Lower than I expected. I believe the Piston's will be paying Gordon more than Turkoglu got from Toronto. Apparently their are a lot of Turkish people in Toronto.

Got to admit I was surprised by the choice, and even the salary numbers. Lower than I expected. I believe the Piston's will be paying Gordon more than Turkoglu got from Toronto. Apparently their are a lot of Turkish people in Toronto.

According to the interview of the gent that broke the news, there is a decent size Turkish population in Toronto...and he wanted a more metropolitan city for his wife. So I think he made a good move. Portland brass and fans should see it that way unless they were very selfish about their reason to be upset with him.

Portland can be upset with him, and Turkoglu has the right to live where he wants to. Every man has his priorities. I wonder if Detroit made him an offer or not. I like the acquisition of Gordon, but if we could have had Turkoglu for the same money, or even a little more, I would have rather had him.

Portland can be upset with him, and Turkoglu has the right to live where he wants to. Every man has his priorities. I wonder if Detroit made him an offer or not. I like the acquisition of Gordon, but if we could have had Turkoglu for the same money, or even a little more, I would have rather had him.

Paul....I don't know if he would have fit in the Pistons defensive minded system. A big guy that is a average AT BEST when it comes to defense..? Does not sound like a Pistons type player.

....unless of course, they were planning to change to an offensive minded team...

I would think that they are moving in that direction. Only a few players on the roster known for their defensive play. None of them are front court. Prince can't do it by himself. This is a team in transition to a new identity. Like I said earlier, I don't think Dumars is done tinkering yet.

The Ben Gordon signing doesn't solve the front court problem. We have no rebounders now. What we do have is three guards that all play shooting guard - Stuckey, Gordon, and Hamilton. I don't believe they have given up on Stuckey playing point, but he is a work in progress. Two of the forwards we drafted are out of the mold of Turkoglu. Turkoglu wouldn't have been much different than Rasheed, probably less defense, but more effort, something 'Sheed wasn't displaying much of last season. Villenueva isn't known for his defense either. The quest remains the same as when Ben Wallace left - finding another capable center who plays defense.

It will be an interesting season, we'll still be in the playoffs, but maybe still a first rd. loser. Of course that doesn't interest Dumars. There are only two types of teams in the NBA - those looking to make the playoffs, and those that are looking to win it all. The Piston's are the later. But we are a couple of pieces short this season.

Sun, 07/05/2009 - 8:45pm

Wallace to sign two-year deal with Celtics

By: Jessica Camerato
Jeff Goodman of WEEI.com and FoxSports.com has learned from a source Rasheed Wallace will sign a two-year deal with the Boston Celtics for the mid-level, which is worth approximately $5.7 or $5.8 million per season.

Sun, 07/05/2009 - 8:45pm

Wallace to sign two-year deal with Celtics

By: Jessica Camerato
Jeff Goodman of WEEI.com and FoxSports.com has learned from a source Rasheed Wallace will sign a two-year deal with the Boston Celtics for the mid-level, which is worth approximately $5.7 or $5.8 million per season.

IMHO, this is sort of a strange signing. What does Wallace bring that they do not already have in the young guys already on the roster....?:confused:

Toronto?! This had to be all about money. I have no other explanation.

IMHO, this is sort of a strange signing. What does Wallace bring that they do not already have in the young guys already on the roster....?:confused:

Another question is this: Will Sheed be happy in coming off the bench or will he start over Glen Davis?

The Celtics now have my 2 least favorite NBA players in Wallace and Marbury.

Sorry Bill, but your team is becoming the perfect Villain in the NBA Eastern Conference.

Another question is this: Will Sheed be happy in coming off the bench or will he start over Glen Davis?

The Celtics now have my 2 least favorite NBA players in Wallace and Marbury.

Sorry Bill, but your team is becoming the perfect Villain in the NBA Eastern Conference.

Marbury will not be there long. They have shown NO indication of wanting him back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)