NBA Hot Stove Thread

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
When the Piston's acquired Kwame last season, I said "Kwame Brown couldn't play dead." Turns out I was right. Only center on the roster right now. We're in trouble.

IF Miami pull THIS off....

...AND not lose Beasley, they WILL be THE TEAM to beat!!!!

Heat targeting both Boozer and Odom
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
14 hours, 38 minutes ago

LAS VEGAS – Pat Riley has listened to Dwyane Wade(notes) express his unease with the Miami Heat sitting out the Eastern Conference’s arms race this summer. As the Boston Celtics, Cleveland Cavaliers and Orlando Magic elevated themselves as championship contenders, the Heat president sold his superstar on patience, promising a plan to surround him with talent for the long run.

Now, the Heat are working furiously to deliver Lamar Odom(notes) and Carlos Boozer(notes) to the shores of Biscayne Bay. The Heat are trying to sell Odom on a five-year, $34 million contract at the mid-level exception, and a league executive with knowledge of the talks says Miami has also hatched a three-way proposal with the Utah Jazz and Memphis Grizzlies to secure Boozer.

The essentials of a possible deal would include Miami sending forward Udonis Haslem(notes) and Dorell Wright to Utah. Because Memphis is under the cap, Utah could move Wright’s $2.8 million salary to the Grizzlies and save itself approximately $5.6 million with salary and luxury-tax payments. Memphis would probably get cash and picks for its trouble. The Heat would have to send one more small contract to make the math on the salary exchange work.

Miami could pay Boozer his $12.7 million salary this season and own his Bird rights to sign him to an extension next summer.

The deal isn’t considered imminent, but the Jazz are working hard to find a suitable trade for Boozer. Utah is determined to match the Portland Trail Blazers’ $32 million offer sheet for restricted free agent Paul Millsap(notes). Utah has until the end of the week to match or lose the young power forward to the Blazers. Most league executives believe that Utah will match the offer, regardless of whether they’ve moved Boozer.

Portland is still trying to pry Tayshaun Prince(notes) out of Detroit in a three-way deal with Utah, but Pistons president Joe Dumars hasn’t shown an inclination to move Prince and extend Boozer’s contract, league sources say. Several league executives are dubious of Boozer as a $14 million-a-year player, which his agent, Rob Pelinka, has told teams it will take to sign him to an extension. Miami could be the suitor willing to pay it.

The Los Angeles Lakers’ standoff with Odom is still fluid, but a source close to Odom insists he would probably only leave L.A. for Miami, not the Dallas Mavericks, who are also pursuing him. Odom’s agent is trying to get a five-year, $45 million deal out of the Lakers, who have offered four years and $36 million.

Heat targeting both Boozer and Odom - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

IF they were to pick up Odom, Boozer and NOT lose Beasley and O'Neal....

PG - Chalmers
SG - Wade
C - O'Neal
SF - Odom
PF - Boozer

...and Beasley coming off the bench...??! I cannot think of a better 1st 6 in the NBA....can you?

Not going to debate first six or first anything. The Lakers, Celtics and Cavaliers would still be the teams to beat. Miami would be in the next group...you can argue they're at the top of that next group, but in that next group for sure. Let's wait until we see what the Magic does before we even say that.

Don't forget the Magic still have Stan Van Gundy, who many here said is a genius. Does Miami still have Spoelstra? He is much better looking than Van Gundy, I'll give you that. Spoelstra is a good looking guy.

Sandra

Amen Sister. You got to beat the man in order to be the man. Don't get ahead of yourself Salsa Boy....

Interesting quote coming from someone(amongst MANY) that had already crowned the Cavs champs going into this past NBA season.

Will not say anymore because quite frankly, NOTHING has happened.

Not going to debate first six or first anything. The Lakers, Celtics and Cavaliers would still be the teams to beat. Miami would be in the next group...you can argue they're at the top of that next group, but in that next group for sure. Let's wait until we see what the Magic does before we even say that.

Don't forget the Magic still have Stan Van Gundy, who many here said is a genius. Does Miami still have Spoelstra? He is much better looking than Van Gundy, I'll give you that. Spoelstra is a good looking guy.

Sandra

1st of all.....Orlando did what they are gonna do....IE, they will not be making anymore moves.

And again, WHO claim Van Gundy a genious? :confused: Funny, you are making a big deal and poking fun of Van Gundy when he OUT COACHED the NBA Coach of Year AND the coach of the defending NBA Champions.:)

And where in GOD'S green Earth does LOOKS come into play here?:confused::rolleyes:

Interesting quote coming from someone(amongst MANY) that had already crowned the Cavs champs going into this past NBA season.

Will not say anymore because quite frankly, NOTHING has happened.

I never crowned anyone last year. Try and dig up a quote saying so. I remember saying that the Celtics were STILL the team to beat last year since THEY were the defending Champs. As for the Magic, I didn't have as much respect for them as I do this year. They proved last year that they belong.

Like I said earlier, the East will be top heavy again this year. In no particular order....

Boston, Orlando and Cleveland will be 1a, 1b, 1c. Everyone else follows.

I know you're excited, but you're speculating on your team being "the team to beat" based on a trade possibly that hasn't even happened! Don't put the cart before the horse.

I never crowned anyone last year. Try and dig up a quote saying so. I remember saying that the Celtics were STILL the team to beat last year since THEY were the defending Champs. As for the Magic, I didn't have as much respect for them as I do this year. They proved last year that they belong.

Like I said earlier, the East will be top heavy again this year. In no particular order....

Boston, Orlando and Cleveland will be 1a, 1b, 1c. Everyone else follows.

I know you're excited, but you're speculating on your team being "the team to beat" based on a trade possibly that hasn't even happened! Don't put the cart before the horse.

post #129

Will not say anything anymore because quite frankly, NOTHING has happened

1st of all.....Orlando did what they are gonna do....IE, they will not be making anymore moves.

And again, WHO claim Van Gundy a genious? :confused: Funny, you are making a big deal and poking fun of Van Gundy when he OUT COACHED the NBA Coach of Year AND the coach of the defending NBA Champions.:)

And where in GOD'S green Earth does LOOKS come into play here?:confused::rolleyes:

I'm not poking fun at Van Gundy at all. Not sure where you got that from. I think he's a good coach. Gets a little too riled up at post-game press conferences, and picks some battles he should walk away from (reminds me of some people, actually! :D) but otherwise a good coach.

Hey, when do looks NOT come into play?!?!? Just an observation... ;)

Sandra

HHHHmmmmm...there is ALSO heavy rumor that the HEAT are looking at....none other than Allen Iverson.

hhhmmm.......

That would be good for the Heat in the long run. Just like Stephon Marbury, whatever team Iverson leaves improves instantly. Hey, Iverson can't stay with the Heat forever, right??? ;)

Sandra

Don't do it! He's a cancer!!!!!

I found this interesting this morning...

Already uncomfortable with the massive pay cut heading his way, it's going to take Iverson swallowing very hard to take even less to sign with the Heat.

He needs to, though. Miami represents the best situation for Iverson if redemption is what he craves.

At this stage in his career, the 34-year-old has two options: ride into the sunset as one of the greatest scoring guards to play the game or hang around, accept a diminished role and chase a ring and one last fairly lucrative multi-year deal.

Since it doesn't seem like he's interested in retirement, this season looms as a means to an end. He's got to prove himself once again to benefit in 2010.

So, what's more impressive? Going down to Memphis and competing with O.J. Mayo, Rudy Gay and Zach Randolph for shots on a team destined to lose at least 50 games or venturing to South Florida and proving he can play a second fiddle to a legitimate star like Dwyane Wade on a playoff squad?

What's going to be more reassuring to a front office, watching Iverson stay out of trouble on Beale Street or on South Beach? He's still going to make his appearances on the party circuit, but the days of him burning the candle at both ends like a young pup are waning. At this point, he's more likely to make an appearance at a party he's "hosting" then he would be spending hours making it rain in the VIP.

Going to Miami for a reduced rate to resist temptation and willingly play second-fiddle would scream commitment to reinvention in a way even reconnecting with Brown couldn't.

Landing with the Heat would also cause the type of stir that Iverson currently needs to boost his career, creating an event atmosphere that hasn't been seen in Miami since Shaquille O'Neal arrived to a parade. Sports fans down in South Florida are typically fickle and as late-arriving as those out in L.A., but they do respect star power. Iverson is still an attraction, and the pairing of him and Wade is only three years removed from teaming up in Houston as Eastern Conference All-Star starters.

The Heat's biggest problem last season was its over-reliance on Wade to generate offense, and although the organization has high hopes that Jermaine O'Neal can stay healthy and Michael Beasley can develop further, picking up Iverson would be an instant fix. Wade and Iverson need the ball in their hands to be successful, but a rotation could be reached where both could be catalysts every given night, with Wade surely getting the heavier load. To say it can't work would be dismissive. At the very least, it would be fun to watch.

The L.A. experiment wouldn't be boring, but barring injuries, there's less opportunities for Iverson to make a dent. Baron Davis and Eric Gordon are the present and future, while Chris Kaman, Blake Griffin and Al Thornton will command their chances up front.

That's just too many options to consider for Iverson to be consistently appeased. It's also more likely that Iverson, an East Coast guy through and through, would grow unhappy in L.A., thousands of miles from his comfort zone in a situation that's not going to be easy.

Considering the career transition Iverson is trying to make, staying focused and challenged is essential.

So is making the postseason, since he failed to make it to the big stage in Detroit and never had much success in Denver. The Clippers look good on paper, but don't they always at this time of year? Inevitably, they find a way to fall apart, which doesn't bode well with the Lakers, Spurs, Nuggets, Blazers, Jazz, Mavericks and Hornets looming in the conference. The Heat will have an easier road to the playoffs, coming off a season in which they ascended to the No. 5 seed with a rookie coach and just 43 wins.

Iverson is out to prove he's capable of change, but can't stack the deck against himself to make it impossible.

A.I. in L.A. is simply not the way. The move is too drastic. Even at less pay, joining the Heat is far more practical and condusive to success.

While it's true that most Northerners head down to South Florida to retire, in Iverson's case, it might be the only way to salvage his career.

After all, another way to look at it is that many move to Miami to stay useful and make the most of what they have left.

Tony Mejia is senior writer for Pro Basketball News. He can be reached at mejia@probasketballnews.com.

Two thing I CAN'T see Iverson accepting:

1. Taking a pay cut.

2. Coming off the bench.

Those two ingredients are a recipe for disaster.

Yeah....You ALSO said that there was NO WAY the Magic could win a game 7 in Boston AND that the Cavs would win in 5 or 6 over Orlando.:rolleyes:;):p

Iverson is desperate because he does not want to retire. And seeing that he does NOT want to retire and does NOT want to play in a going nowhere team like the Clippers....

...he really has no choice does he?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)