NBA Lockout Thread

The hard cap is wanted because the owners THEMSELVES cannot control the way they spend. They say one thing, sticking their chest out to show a hard stance, then go and give Joe Johnson Hall of Fame player like money.

Yeah, because if there is no cap and they try to control spending, it's called collusion. :rolleyes:

The union will always have my backing.

Of course they do. sniff sniff

The NHL has as hard a hard-cap as you can get. And it is proving to be VERY good for the sport.

Sandra

I would not mind a hard salary cap...so long as all teams ALSO have to spend a minimum to make those team competitive.

The NHL has a salary cap floor because if they didn't, teams like Florida and Phoenix would spend next to nothing to break even. It's basically a good thing, but there are some negative side-effects to the floor as well.

Sandra

I am curious know, like what?

Well, right there in your own backyard the Florida Panthers just traded for the insane Brian Campbell contract, which has five years at $7.1 million left per year on it. Campbell is 32, he's an offensive defenseman whose numbers have already started going down. The Chicago Blackhawks are elated to get out from under that cap hit. No way anybody would want this guy, but...

Guess why Florida traded for him? ;)

Sandra

It may be April before anyone notices NBA lockout

I agree! The NBA players and fans are heavily overestimating the value of the upcoming season. I say cancel the season and get these exorbitant salaries in line with...well, reality. ;)

Source

"...Don't feel bad if you're not losing any sleep over this NBA lockout, which officially began Friday.

Because it sounds like some of the key players in this labor showdown were nodding off as well.

Kevin Durant, arguably the league's brightest young star, told reporters earlier this week he didn't even realize the league's collective bargaining agreement was set to expire Thursday night.

He knew the lockout was coming, of course. Everyone did. But Durant told the Associated Press he was so busy with offseason travel and his own youth basketball camp, among other things, that he'd "lost track of time."

Taken literally, and out of context, that's a bit alarming. He's the players' union representative for his team in Oklahoma City, after all.

But be honest: It's not exactly surprising, is it?

And that's part of the problem for Durant & Co., fair or not. That's the perception they'll be fighting in the weeks and months to come as they fight to keep what's theirs. If they don't care, why should the fans?

...Both sides digging in

And while this might sound a bit counterintuitive to some, I think that's bad news for the players, much more so than it is for Stern and the owners, whose goal in this labor war is hardly a secret by now. They're out to break the union, one way or another. And they know they'll have a more sympathetic audience than NFL owners were facing in their rapidly-thawing lockout, if only because it's a more apathetic fan base, the recent TV ratings notwithstanding."

Full Story

I am a a point when leagues lock out or go on strike I kind of have a oh well attitude, not bitter or angry. I still have to go on with my life. Maybe if I was younger it would be different

Hopefully the league keeps the players locked out until Jan 2012.

Season is too long and starts way too early.

I hope there is a "hard salary cap but one that is phased in over time.

I for one, want the Heat to remain together. Gonna be that much better in another 4-5 years when we look back and leBron is still without a ring.

Hopefully the league keeps the players locked out until Jan 2012.

Season is too long and starts way too early.

I hope there is a "hard salary cap but one that is phased in over time.

I for one, want the Heat to remain together. Gonna be that much better in another 4-5 years when we look back and leBron is still without a ring.

Ahhh....love! Gotta love the jealousy....LMAO!

Ahhh....love! Gotta love the jealousy....LMAO!

:drama:
Yes, everyone is SO jealous of all the teams in Miami and the fan support they get.:rolleyes:

Tell me another place they disguise the empty seats with white shirts over them? If they did that at TD Garden I would be ashamed to be a Celtics fan.

Hart5150 said:
:drama:
Yes, everyone is SO jealous of all the teams in Miami and the fan support they get.:rolleyes:

Tell me another place they disguise the empty seats with white shirts over them? If they did that at TD Garden I would be ashamed to be a Celtics fan.

This was not intended for you and we were talking about the Heat.. but since you decided to comment, we are not commenting fan support...all those games were sold out and seat were occupied...but don't be sore because you lost in 5. There are good decent Celtic fans on this forum...don't be the ugly Celtic fan.

Sniff, Sniff....

This was not intended for you and we were talking about the Heat.. but since you decided to comment, we are not commenting fan support...all those games were sold out and seat were occupied...but don't be sore because you lost in 5. There are good decent Celtic fans on this forum...don't be the ugly Celtic fan.

6a0115709f071f970b014e883a8ced970d-pi

Great support!

salsadancer7 said:
Sniff, Sniff....

Do you have Lebron's jock in front of you?

Last edited:
There's been rumblings that the greedy basketball players will be double dipping on a European team come this winter if the NBA is still on a strike.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)