NBA Lockout thread

Interesting point brought up by Broussard on 790 the ticket this morning. According to his sources, he has stated that about 10-12 owners want to go very hard line on the players, in other words, a 57-43 split for the owners, lead by the Jordan(hypocrite) and Dan Gilbert(team is worth less than what he bought the team for), while about 8 owners wanna play NOW(Aronson, Dolan, Reinsdorf, Buss, Wyc Grousbeck, Cuban are the main names). The remaining owners will side most with the current offer on th table to the players...some may lean one way or another. Here were it get's interesting. Say the players agree to the current deal on the table, there IS a possibility that Stern may not be able to deliver the owners side. THEN what? Sterns comes out looking like a complete fool and completely played by the same group that hire him...the owners.

The next 30 hours are gonna be VERY interesting.

If I were the league I would keep lowering and lowering my offer. Obviously there are owners who want to do that...they just need to convince enough of them that this is the way to go. At some point the players will cave.

Sandra

SandraC said:
If I were the league I would keep lowering and lowering my offer. Obviously there are owners who want to do that...they just need to convince enough of them that this is the way to go. At some point the players will cave.

Sandra

Or they decertify and this goes into litigation hell. 450 different lawsuits would be a mess to deal with.

Or they decertify and this goes into litigation hell. 450 different lawsuits would be a mess to deal with.

I'll believe the players do this when I see it. This would up the chance there is no NBA basketball this year...and players know it.

Better chance of that 47/53 split happening in favor of the owners. 47% is more than ZERO.

Sandra

they can stay on strike a bunch of greedy players and owners that end up costing us the consumer more for tickets and everything else.stay on strike forever for all i care :)

whitewolf8214 said:
they can stay on strike a bunch of greedy players and owners that end up costing us the consumer more for tickets and everything else.stay on strike forever for all i care :)

The players aren't striking. The owners have locked them out.

In practical terms, not a huge difference for fans. But it is worth noting that the owners are the ones pushing for a one sided deal and holding the season hostage in doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

According to INSIDEHOOPS on Twitter, Fisher stated the players did NOT accept the owners offer from the owners but has requested the mediator that was appointed that the players feel that they are close enough in most to all aspects in the negociations that want to continue negociating.

The players aren't striking. The owners have locked them out.

In practical terms, not a huge difference for fans. But it is worth noting that the owners are the ones pushing for a one sided deal and holding the season hostage in doing so.

I know the owners are locking the players out but like i said they are both a bunch of greedy players and owners that end up costing us the consumer more for tickets and everything else :)

salsadancer7 said:
According to INSIDEHOOPS on Twitter, Fisher stated the players did NOT accept the owners offer from the owners but has requested the mediator that was appointed that the players feel that they are close enough in most to all aspects in the negociations that want to continue negociating.

Now comes word the players MIGHT agree to the current deal if the deal is for 3 years instead of 10.

Sounds reasonable to me.

salsadancer7 said:
Now comes word the players MIGHT agree to the current deal if the deal is for 3 years instead of 10.

Sounds reasonable to me.

I'd rather lose the season and have a long term then have them go through this process again in three years.

Someone else bringing race into this, this time it's someone directly involved in the process....

Commissioner David Stern says union attorney Jeffrey Kessler is largely to blame for the NBA's stalled labor talks after Kessler told The Washington Post that the owners are treating the players "like plantation workers."

Kessler, who also represented the NFL Players Association in their collective bargaining negotiations this summer, told The Post on Monday that the owners' latest offer to essentially split basketball-related income in half was not fair to the players. Stern said Sunday night that players had until the close of business Wednesday to accept the offer, or face a far stricter version.

"To present that in the context of 'take it or leave it,' in our view, that is not good faith," Kessler told the paper on Monday night before the union announced Tuesday it would not accept Stern's offer. "Instead of treating the players like partners, they're treating them like plantation workers."
NBA lockout -- Jeffrey Kessler says owners treat players like 'plantation workers' - ESPN

If I was Stern not only would my offer drop on the percentage split after Wednesday deadline I would tell Player's Union there will be no further negotiating sessions until Kessler is fired via a PR release from the Union.

If the players want to back Kessler on this point let them scuttle the remainder of the season to pander to Kessler's misguided point So be it.

Can't think any smart person associated with either side sees this(Kessler's take) as helpful other than the Race Hucksters and Carnival barkers.

Considering that he is white... that might have some meat to the statement. Whether you agree with it or not.
Seriously??

From the same article:

Hall of Famer Magic Johnson, who does not have an official role in the negotiations, condemned Kessler's remarks, saying it's "ridiculous" to suggest that Stern is racist and that it's OK to disagree with him but that you "can't attack the man and what he stands for."

The NBA "has more minorities in powerful positions than any other league," Johnson said.

If I was Stern not only would my offer drop on the percentage split after Wednesday deadline I would tell Player's Union there will be no further negotiating sessions until Kessler is fired via a PR release from the Union.

If the players want to back Kessler on this point let them scuttle the remainder of the season to pander to Kessler's misguided point So be it.

Can't think any smart person associated with either side sees this(Kessler's take) as helpful other than the Race Hucksters and Carnival barkers.

Wow...ok...ah, hmmmm...WHERE did the players say they agreed or disagreed with this? AND even if the owners did lower their offer, THEY and Stern would look like the complete fools for not trying to go back to the bargaining table.. basically establishing the "plantation owner" comment thrown out there by Kessler.

i love how when things don't go a certain way for some, it's usually a racial issue :rolleyes:

Details of the MLB CBA that both the players and the owners agreed to...

NBA D-League and hockey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)