NBA Lockout thread

I wonder what the NBA will do to win back fans after this fiasco going on right now. At least the NHL realized their mistake & did everything they could to win the fans back,& it seemed to have worked.

dangue said:
This season looks doomed. I just can't see the players agreeing to these terms...

It's time to talk to my season ticket representative and see about getting a refund. I envision that will be like pulling teeth...

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

thank GOD I save my money for a 41 game season ticket package for the new Marlins season. But I agree, it does not look good for the season. I would think you would be able to get your money back with no season.

royrdsjr said:
I wonder what the NBA will do to win back fans after this fiasco going on right now. At least the NHL realized their mistake & did everything they could to win the fans back,& it seemed to have worked.

If the owners were smart, they would offer all kinds of giveaways, discounted tickets and parking prices as well discounted food and beverage prices. ALOT of meet/photo opps with players and coaches....ALOT of them.

Whereas baseball put on its blinders durring the steroids-aided home run race between Sosa and Maguire. But I don't remember the NFL doing anything.

It will be wait and see. I have a hunch that basketball TV ratings, which have been poor, and stadium attendance, which has been pretty good, will return to pre-strike levels whenever the strike ends.

Whereas baseball put on its blinders durring the steroids-aided home run race between Sosa and Maguire. But I don't remember the NFL doing anything.

It will be wait and see. I have a hunch that basketball TV ratings, which have been poor, and stadium attendance, which has been pretty good, will return to pre-strike levels whenever the strike ends.

They NHL came back stronger than ever, but like you said, the league did all the right things to get the fans back. And the economy is much worse now than it was even five years ago.

This is not good. If there will be less basketball-related income because of fan apathy, whatever percentage they finally agree on will mean less money.

Sandra

Looks like "system issues" could hamper the possibility of a deal....

... I had stated in previous post that heavy rumor are that the players have more or less accepted the fact that they will not get better than 50-50 and that the main issues that need to be squared away are the so called "system issues". Here is some more comfirmation that indeed it LOOKS like the case:

The owners are offering a 50-50 split of revenue, but the possible elimination of two teams would cause the BRI to be adjusted with a smaller percentage for the players, sources said. The NBA also wants to be able to contract teams without consulting the union.

In a coordinated Twitter push on Sunday, Stern and deputy commissioner Adam Silver were said to be answering questions for fans. In an answer to a question about team contraction, the league officials responded that it “had been discussed,” and that it was not a “complete solution.”

Also, the NBA wants to conduct out-of-season drug testing of players, including testing for some drugs and performance-enhancing substances that could only be done through blood samples. Currently, the NBA does random in-season testing of urine samples for such drugs as marijuana and cocaine.

If the players were to vote to accept the terms of the owners’ current proposal, the litany of B-list issues – including contraction, drug testing, Developmental League assignments and draft age eligibility – would still have to be agreed upon.

There’s a growing belief that Stern doesn’t have the ownership support to pass the very proposal he’s been pushing all weekend, and that owners would ultimately kill this deal with the list of non-negotiable B-list issues the players would oppose. This way, the league can say it worked hard to cut a fairer deal with players, but in the end, the owners will get the draconian ‘reset’ proposal that many of them have wanted all along.

“A lot of teams – more all the time – don’t like the deal on the table,” one high-ranking league official said

'B-list' issues could cause trouble in NBA talks - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Thanks Yahoo...

Sandra

What really kills me about is you hate the fact that I SUPPOSEDLY post player friend information. IF it bugs you SOOOOO Bad... PROVE ME WRONG....why not find info, whether it's Google, Yahoo, ESPN, CNN SI, NBC Sports... you have a plethora of resources.. that is either "owner friendly" or what you may consider to be fact...

Other than that, your just blow smoke out of somewhere....

The only thing sillier than the owners and players getting into a media war of words would be you and me getting into a media war of words. So I'm not going to. Sorry.

You're Yahoo and other player posts will stand for what they are, which is fine.

Sandra

LMAO!!! Just as I expected....

...moving along.

Word has it that Kobe and Carmelo will be part of the discussion with all the NBA player reps this afternoon reviewing the lastest offer from the owners...

...according to every single website dedicated to sports and that is following the NBA lockout.

LMAO!!! Just as I expected....

LOL I'm glad you expected me to pass on arguing with you. I think we are making progress! :)

At the very least it does sound like they have this whole basketball related income (BRI) thing figure out. That's a good sign. Makes sense...if the NHL can figure out HRI, and the NFL can figure out FRI, it should not be that difficult for this cast of characters to figure out BRI. ;)

Sandra

Some more details of the current offer from the players...

One of the new wrinkles the committee has found difficult to accept, sources told Bucher, is an unlimited escrow system.

The escrow system would ensure that owners would be reimbursed for however much they exceed the negotiated amount of basketball-related income allowed to be spent on player salaries.

In the current seven-page proposal, a copy of which was obtained by ESPN The Magazine, the players have a choice of selecting a 50-50 split of BRI or a 49-51 band.

If teams spend more than the allotted percentage, they not only retain the 10 percent of each salary held in escrow, but if that 10 percent doesn't cover the excess then the additional funds can be deducted from a one percent of BRI dedicated to "post-career player annuity and player benefits."

If the excess still hasn't been satisfied, future benefits and escrow funds can be utilized to cover it. In essence, it assures the owners that no matter how much they spend in any one season, they will not have to pay more than the stated percentage.

Stern has blamed agents for misinformation about the proposal that has spread since Thursday. So players were eager to get in the room with Hunter and union president Derek Fisher and get the full details themselves. Chris Duhon, Orlando's player rep, wrote on his Twitter feed that the Magic would accept the deal.

And this part I agree with Stern and that is why the player reps should be involved with notifying the players about the latest talks and not the players agent. YES, the player agents do what is best for their client...but they look out for themselves as well....

"The main thing is not going in with any preconceived notions," Minnesota Timberwolves rep Anthony Tolliver said. "We need to understand the ins and outs of the deal. It's just like last week, where we didn't understand the full extent of the deal until we got in the room face-to-face and talked it through."

Interesting.... And depending who you talk to...sneaky....

Appears that the players rejected the offer, will decertify and file an anti-trust lawsuit against the owners.

Things just went from bad to nuclear!!!

It wasn't going to work for the NFLPA so it won't be good for them either.

Good news

Hopefully the NBAPA will continue with their staggering arrogance and take this first step toward relegating The "Association" to irrelevance for the next 3-5 years.

And maybe it will also take that little financial crutch those professional leagues so much... that anti-exemption golden goose.

But it sure as hell helped speed up the negociation process though.... IF the players wanted to be affective, she SHOULD have disbanded early...like as soon as they were locked out.

Extremely good chance the NFL lockout would have settled regardless. As we ALL have agreed, there was just too much money on the table for the owners/players to walk away from.

Which means the union decertification in the NFL meant nothing.

Sandra

And maybe it will also take that little financial crutch those professional leagues so much... that anti-exemption golden goose.

Wishful thinking on the players part.

NBA could be out for years and Congress won't touch this or by extension the Anti Trust exemption..

Far bigger fish to fry so to speak.

NBA getting ready to "go to sleep" for an extended period IMO.

Details of the MLB CBA that both the players and the owners agreed to...

NBA D-League and hockey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)