NBA Lockout thread

Well Well Well so that fat fool David Stern has finally stuck his foot in it. As I recall he was the one responsible for Seattle losing the Sonics. He is an over paid dufus who should have walked the plank years ago.

The players were only OK with a 50/50 split if the owners still had the opportunity to go way over that with mid-level exceptions, luxury tax, etc.

Which means it's no longer a 50/50 split.

Sandra

The owners also wanted the possibility to contract...which would swing the 50-50 THEIR way... they also wanted to send players to the D-League and reduce their salary. ALSO "if teams spend more than the allotted percentage, they not only retain the 10 percent of each salary held in escrow, but if that 10 percent doesn't cover the excess then the additional funds can be deducted from a one percent of BRI dedicated to "post-career player annuity and player benefits." If the excess still hasn't been satisfied, future benefits and escrow funds can be utilized to cover it. In essence, it assures the owners that no matter how much they spend in any one season, they will not have to pay more than the stated percentage."

1% BRI is equal approx. $100 million dollars... Yeah, where does THAT swing the percentage too? So in the end, that is why the players really didn't wanna budge on anything below 52%. Can I blame them, no, because it seems to me they made all the concessions and the owners made none.

Well Well Well so that fat fool David Stern has finally stuck his foot in it. As I recall he was the one responsible for Seattle losing the Sonics. He is an over paid dufus who should have walked the plank years ago.

He is now, if I am not mistaken, the only commissioner to allow 2 lockouts while he has been in charge. THAT does not look good on him. It HIS job to keep the league going and bring both sides apart.

As far as the Seattle franchise, he did nothing to try to keep that historic franchise going but basically say, "next man up..."

As said a long time ago...a 50/50 split with a hard cap would be fair. The players don't want a hard cap.

Sandra

maybe i'm looking at this in a very simple way. maybe too simple. i will never agree with the idea of an employee making more money than the employer. or the employee having a larger share of the profits than the employer. never..... and lets not say the "players" agreed not to take this deal. allow all the players in the NBA to have a vote on the last proposal. i'm sure more than half would vote to accept this deal.

maybe i'm looking at this in a very simple way. maybe too simple. i will never agree with the idea of an employee making more money than the employer. or the employee having a larger share of the profits than the employer. never..... and lets not say the "players" agreed not to take this deal. allow all the players in the NBA to have a vote on the last proposal. i'm sure more than half would vote to accept this deal.

Did the players not get a chance to vote on the latest NBA proposal, rey? I assumed they did.

Sandra

maybe i'm wrong but i thought those who represented all of the players were the ones to vote on the proposal. if i'm wrong then i apologize

any chance for Scab players?
The Cavs are locked out :p. In all honesty, I think that could only occur if the players struck and there wasn't a lockout, but I'm probably wrong

I'm surprised there hasn't been a split with the players yet leading to even more drama. Kobe looked pretty mad that the players were rejecting the offer in the news conference

rey_1178 said:

They players reps stated it was almost unanimous...what that means exactly, who knows.

How did this all go down? How did a Monday meeting where the union representatives were expected to reject the latest offer from the owners and make a counter proposal turn into dissolving the entire union and likely blowing up the NBA season with it?
The whole idea came from the players… well, if you think the players sit around and discuss the merits of different tactics of NBA labor law. So maybe we should look to the agents, except they are not thrilled with this move. Apparently did not come from union leadership.

In the end, it comes back to the players. It’s their union. And this is how athletes react — they are competitive and will fight to win. They’ve been losing the negotiations so they responded in the most aggressive way they could. Armed with enough knowledge to be dangerous they took out the biggest club in their bag, even if this was not the smart play at the time. And now here we are, staring at a lost season.

Sandra

To me, the NBA is just not as exciting as it used to be. My guess is because there is no longer that one player that everybody loves. In the 90s, we had Michael Jordan. Then we had Shaq and Kobe. Followed by Yao Ming. Now we have LeBron, but not everybody likes him anymore since he went to Miami and some believe that he's overrated since he never went to college. I used to be a Pistons fan, but since they haven't done well in the last 3 years, I haven't watched them much now. I hope that after if/when the lockout ends, the NBA gets better, but it seems for the last few years, it's just gotten a little boring.

I watched NBA back in the early 80's and to me it was just as fun and exciting as watching college basketball games. Not anymore though...In my own personal opinion the NBA players today are nothing but akin to spoiled rich kid brats.

SandraC said:
As said a long time ago...a 50/50 split with a hard cap would be fair. The players don't want a hard cap.

Sandra

Because the owner could not come up with a number ALL of the owners could agree upon. Nor do the owners that had the means wanted to share the profits of a "tax" or "penalty" of going over.

It was never that black and white for a deal, as much you want to make it that way. If your negociating $40 bucks, yes...not $4 billion.....

They players reps stated it was almost unanimous...what that means exactly, who knows.

Here's what it means:

What used to be the NBA players union turned down the owners’ most-recent proposal without polling its full membership. For weeks, many around the league believed that had all the players been asked, most would have been in favor of accepting a deal, in order to get back on the court, continue getting paid and avoid the very real possibility of losing the entire season.

So why was the union not willing to put this to a vote of its membership—or at least poll all the players—even under David Stern’s threat that offers from the owners would just get worse from here
?

Sandra

Stalker said:
I watched NBA back in the early 80's and to me it was just as fun and exciting as watching college basketball games. Not anymore though...In my own personal opinion the NBA players today are nothing but akin to spoiled rich kid brats.

Yes they are spoiled...compared to you and I. What about compared to the owners?

Jeez, the more you read, the worse it gets...

But there’s clearly sentiment that players should have had the opportunity to vote the deal up or down.

“I think it's fair for every player to have a vote, because we're all grown men and its time for the players to control their career decisions, and not one player per team,” Rockets guard Kevin Martin said in a text on Monday morning, before the union’s announcement that the deal was being rejected. “If it comes down to a final decision, you got to be fair."

Martin added, per the site, that while he was not sure how other players would have voted, “most feel like we're entitled to a vote!"

The league was clearly pushing for a full vote, as Stern, during an appearance on ESPN last week, and also in a letter sent to all the league’s players on Sunday, implored players to accept the deal.

"The union decided in its infinite wisdom that the proposal would not be presented to membership,” Stern said Monday. “Obviously, Mr. Kessler got his way and we are about to go into the nuclear winter of the NBA."

Sandra

What would happen, if after the union is decertified, if the owners end the lockout?

Since there is no union, there could be no strike? Subsitute players could be used? Would the use of subsitutes affect a court case brought by the players? Could the players get a class action suit certified, if 60% went back to work?

Details of the MLB CBA that both the players and the owners agreed to...

NBA D-League and hockey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)