NBA Lockout thread

SandraC said:
Here's what it means:

What used to be the NBA players union turned down the owners’ most-recent proposal without polling its full membership. For weeks, many around the league believed that had all the players been asked, most would have been in favor of accepting a deal, in order to get back on the court, continue getting paid and avoid the very real possibility of losing the entire season.
So why was the union not willing to put this to a vote of its membership—or at least poll all the players—even under David Stern’s threat that offers from the owners would just get worse from here?

That is a good point. But if so many were FOR the deal on the table...why have they not spoken out? I mean, you have the Cavs player rep, Anthony Parker...he gets paid $2 million UNDER the league average and he was completely FOR rejecting the deal. You have Matt Carroll, the Charlotte Bobcats player rep...he makes $1 million UNDER the league average...also, stating that he was against the last offer of the owners...

Am I saying that I agree with the so called "almost unanimous" qoute... I doubt it, but I do not think there is as many as some perceive to be.

That is a good point. But if so many were FOR the deal on the table...why have they not spoken out?

They can't speak out about the deal on the table...it wasn't presented to them, so they don't know exactly what the deal on the table is.

Present it to the players and give them the opportunity to accept or reject. The players union is not doing that. That's not right.

Sandra

1PPCLI said:
What would happen, if after the union is decertified, if the owners end the lockout?

Since there is no union, there could be no strike? Subsitute players could be used? Would the use of subsitutes affect a court case brought by the players? Could the players get a class action suit certified, if 60% went back to work?

The owners would not do that without a guarentee the they would get at least 3/4 of the league with some major names as well. Lets be honest here....in the NBA, unlike the other leagues...it's mostly the super stars before the super teams, that draw fans. Thats how this league has always been. That's how the NBA has marketed the league. They were not showcasing the Lakers, Celtic, Bulls or Cavs...the were marketing Magic, Larry, Michael and Lebron....

Last edited:
SandraC said:
They can't speak out about the deal on the table...it wasn't presented to them, so they don't know exactly what the deal on the table is.

Present it to the players and give them the opportunity to accept or reject. The players union is not doing that. That's not right.

Sandra

You cannot say that the union is doing that because you are not there... I am gonna assume it was presented to them and not given to them to vote.

Just like YOU are assuming it was not. NEITHER of us were there....

You cannot say that the union is doing that because you are not there... I am gonna assume it was presented to them and not given to them to vote.

Just like YOU are assuming it was not. NEITHER of us were there....

Either way, Fisher and Hunter are controlling what the players do. Let the players vote on the latest NBA offer before they do something that could very easily destroy the season!!!

If the rank and file votes to reject it...fine. They'll have made their own bed.

But they haven't been given that opportunity.

Sandra

Lkr said:
The Cavs are locked out :p. In all honesty, I think that could only occur if the players struck and there wasn't a lockout, but I'm probably wrong

I'm surprised there hasn't been a split with the players yet leading to even more drama. Kobe looked pretty mad that the players were rejecting the offer in the news conference

Good point. If there was THAT many players that wanted the deal, they would have spoken out. Personally, IMHO, the reason Kobe wanted the deal is because he has little time left in the league. He more than likely will not be in the league in 4 or 5 years...maybe less.

SandraC said:
Either way, Fisher and Hunter are controlling what the players do. Let the players vote on the latest NBA offer before they do something that could very easily destroy the season!!!

If the rank and file votes to reject it...fine. They'll have made their own bed.

Sandra

But there is a reason the teams VOTE for the team reps. They trust them.

This is no different than having a state reprensentative in DC. You vote this person in because you feel he/she best respresent YOU and what you stand for.

Without making it too much of a political issues, people vote a representative to stand up for their causes...but do they get to vote in that cause...nope, that is why you have that person representing you...same thing here with the NBA players and their player reps.

Interesting article that is a good read...

I am more convince than ever that this deal could have been done a couple of weeks ago.

So congratulations, Commissioner Stern. Three weeks ago, you were on the cusp of a victory, a full season schedule and a fool-proof economic system to ensure even the league’s biggest buffoons would make money. And now, out of hubris, out of desperation and miscalculation, Stern and the owners have done the unthinkable: Stirred the “Bleep You” gene within the players, and inspired cooperation with the agents .

“These calls have turned into a mutual love-fest,” said one source who was on a conference call with 25 agents on Monday. “The players have somehow inspired a sense of camaraderie among a group of people that hate each other more than Israel and Palestine.”

That’s what happens in these labor disputes: improbable partnerships, agendas blurred and the greater good forever scorned. The players did the right thing on Monday – fighting back against a deal they didn’t believe fair, responding to an ultimatum from Stern that this was the end of negotiations.

History may show that the right thing was done the wrong way, but the consequences are still uncertain.

The season isn’t lost, but, right now, the owners and players are.

“Bluff called,” Milwaukee Bucks center Andrew Bogut(notes) said on Twitter late Monday. “Nobody wins. Reshuffle the deck. Let’s try again.”

Bluff called, but the biggest bluffers – Billy Hunter and David Stern – are still fighting to hold onto power, to control this train careening down the side of a mountain. There are owners and superstar players on the clock now, too. These are supposed to be the guardians of this game, and they’d best start acting on those responsibilities. For now, there’s still a phone call to be made from Stern to Hunter, a deal to be done, before the lawyers file that antitrust suit. Sometime soon, there needs to be real leadership here, someone to rise above the agendas, the acrimony, the personal disdain and do the most noble thing of all: Save the NBA season.

And just maybe, save the sport from itself.

Stern, Hunter lose sight of NBA season - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

This is what I meant Sandra when I said let players vote and not leave it to the player reps.I feel there would be enough votes to make the deal

Sandra

Besides everything that has happened ,I still feel there will be a season. Last time didn't it take until January to make a deal? There is still time.

Besides everything that has happened ,I still feel there will be a season. Last time didn't it take until January to make a deal? There is still time.

Last time the union did not go thru decertification and sue the league. Not sure if the players rank and file realize it or not, but they may have blown up the season.

The only ones getting paid will be lawyers on both sides.

Sandra

According to Inside Hoops, the players have file and huge anti-trust suit against the league. And 2nd suit will be file in California, possibly by the end of the week.

Heard back from my account rep. No refund until the entire season is officially cancelled. Meanwhile, my money is earning interest (as of the first unplaced game rather than as of when the team first received my payment- so they basically had an interest free loan from all season ticket holders for several months).

Heard back from my account rep. No refund until the entire season is officially cancelled. Meanwhile, my money is earning interest (as of the first unplaced game rather than as of when the team first received my payment- so they basically had an interest free loan from all season ticket holders for several months).

I would assume that most that dished out money for an entire season, are now wanting the seasoned to by cancelled because they will not get the full value of your season ticket purchase.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)