NBA Lockout thread

Wishful thinking on the players part.

NBA could be out for years and Congress won't touch this or by extension the Anti Trust exemption..

Far bigger fish to fry so to speak.

NBA getting ready to "go to sleep" for an extended period IMO.

The season could be over...but if you think the government wants to be exposed to thart cat fight all over the court houses nation wide...LMAO... especially if the CBA ending in baseball soon. IF it goes any way, shape or form to the players advantage...and it could, don't think that MLBPA will not have THAT trump card waiting in the deck.

Where do you think the NBAPA got the idea of decertifying to speed up the process...? LMAO! Just take a look a few months back...

Wishful thinking on the players part.

NBA could be out for years and Congress won't touch this or by extension the Anti Trust exemption..

Far bigger fish to fry so to speak.

NBA getting ready to "go to sleep" for an extended period IMO.

Yeah, you gotta wonder what the players are being told about what decertification actually means. If they're being told 'don't worry, this worked for the NFL so it will work for us'...oh boy.

Or if they're being told 'don't worry LMAO this will make the owners crumble!!!'...yikes.

Sandra

SandraC said:
Yeah, you gotta wonder what the players are being told about what decertification actually means. If they're being told 'don't worry, this worked for the NFL so it will work for us'...oh boy.

Or if they're being told 'don't worry LMAO this will make the owners crumble!!!'...yikes.

Sandra

What was the time frame between the NFLPA decertifying and a new CBA between the players and the owners?

The season could be over...but if you think the government wants to be exposed to thart cat fight all over the court houses nation wide...LMAO... especially if the CBA ending in baseball soon. IF it goes any way, shape or form to the players advantage...and it could, don't think that MLBPA will not have THAT trump card waiting in the deck.

Where do you think the NBAPA got the idea of decertifying to speed up the process...? LMAO! Just take a look a few months back...

Congress will gladly let the NBA litigate themselves to obscurity.

MLBPA will have their deal signed within 7-10 days. So that is a moot point.

NFL has their deal. Congress and Most of the viewing Public will gladly let the "Association" languish for years.

Just another step toward irrelevance for the short term..

... March 12, 2011...

...the union decertified, meaning it declared itself out of the business of representing players. In exchange for giving up their rights under labor law, the players are able to take their chances in court under antitrust law.

That paved the way for 10 players, including MVP quarterbacks Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, to sue the owners in federal court in Minneapolis in a class-action claim. The players also sought an injunction to block a lockout -- even before one had been imposed.

Despite two extensions to the collective bargaining agreement during 16 days of talks overseen by a federal mediator -- following months of stop-and-start negotiating -- the sides could not agree on a new deal.

The league's statement Saturday called the NFL Players Association's decertification a "sham" and said the players' court action is "built on the indisputably false premise that the NFLPA has stopped being a union and will merely delay the process of reaching an agreement."

The statement told fans: "We know that you want football. You will have football. This will be resolved."

Sound familiar...?

Congress will gladly let the NBA litigate themselves to obscurity.

MLBPA will have their deal signed within 7-10 days. So that is a moot point.

NFL has their deal. Congress and Most of the viewing Public will gladly let the "Association" languish for years.

Just another step toward irrelevance for the short term..

I guess you ARE entitled to your opinion....;)

The greater immediate threat to decertification is that it will for all intents and purposes end any hope of salvaging the 2011-12 season, and also could put subsequent seasons directly in harm's way. An antitrust suit could take years to litigate, and to see the process through, both sides would have to be prepared to live for a long time without any NBA income.

Ouch.

Sandra

I just contacted my season ticket representative to find out what hoops I will have to jump through in order to get a refund on my two seats. I'm expecting the response to be interesting. If it is interesting enough to share, I'll be sure to pass it on here.

dangue said:
I just contacted my season ticket representative to find out what hoops I will have to jump through in order to get a refund on my two seats. I'm expecting the response to be interesting. If it is interesting enough to share, I'll be sure to pass it on here.

Yeah...that would interesting how the owners that think so highly of the fans... will be paying back a devoted season ticket holder?

May I ask what team?

salsadancer7 said:
Yeah...that would interesting how the owners that think so highly of the fans... will be paying back a devoted season ticket holder?

May I ask what team?

Call me crazy, but despite all the poor play since my middle school years, I'm a diehard Golden State Warriors fan.

This is going to get ugly. I don't think the players will be able to do anything in court. The difference between this lockout and the NFL lockout is the fact that it was never in doubt that the NFLPA and NFL would get their act together, because there was just too much money. The NBA has bleeding franchises, something the NFL didn't have to worry about, which will make this extremely interesting. Will we make it out of this with all the teams still in tact? The NFLPA was smart enough to decertify months before the season started. The NBPA waited until after the season started and for games to be canceled. It doesn't even look like we'll have a season this year. The MLB hasn't recovered from 1993 and the NHL hasn't recovered from 2005. This will be no different for the NBA. I'm also wondering how long the players can actually hold out without money...

Yeah the NBAPA gives new meaning to the term "Amateur Hour"

MLBPA- Strongest Union by Far

NFLPA- Rhetoric by Smith not helpful, but in the end they understand there is far too much money on the table to do something incredibly stupid . So kudos to them for being realists.

NHLPA- made it through to the other side after a year away, seemed to learn from the experience. With Don Fehr coming aboard will only get stronger.

NBAPA- Billy Hunter Derek Fisher- Just don't get it. Will be remembered for taking the players out and their successors will end up accepting a lesser deal than what they walked away from. Losers all around.

This is going to get ugly. I don't think the players will be able to do anything in court. The difference between this lockout and the NFL lockout is the fact that it was never in doubt that the NFLPA and NFL would get their act together, because there was just too much money. The NBA has bleeding franchises, something the NFL didn't have to worry about, which will make this extremely interesting. Will we make it out of this with all the teams still in tact? The NFLPA was smart enough to decertify months before the season started. The NBPA waited until after the season started and for games to be canceled. It doesn't even look like we'll have a season this year. The MLB hasn't recovered from 1993 and the NHL hasn't recovered from 2005. This will be no different for the NBA. I'm also wondering how long the players can actually hold out without money...

You definately right that the NBPA waited too long to decertify. They should have done it from the day they were locked out like the NFL did. On whether there are franchises bleeding...I would have to see the books to believe it. The league said 22 teams were in trouble, according to Forbes, it was really 4 or 5. So WHO is telling the truth? The players were worned 2 years ago to save their pennies...so we shall see just HOW prepared they were.

I find it interesting just how many people are writing off the NBA stating they would not see them when they come back. LMAO! As soon as their teams in the NFL are eliminated from playoff contention or the Super Bowl is over....are you gonna see a spike in college basketball or hockey? The only shows in town? I doubt it. There WILL be a huge spike in people stating they cannot wait for spring training...that's for sure...LOL!

I feel bad for those folks that work in the stadiums and surrounding businesses that depend on the NBA season. I may side with the players in these situation, but I do not feet sorry for them...and the owners...forget it.

THEY wanted this...well they got it.

Yeah the NBAPA gives new meaning to the term "Amateur Hour"

MLBPA- Strongest Union by Far

NFLPA- Rhetoric by Smith not helpful, but in the end they understand there is far too much money on the table to do something incredibly stupid . So kudos to them for being realists.

NHLPA- made it through to the other side after a year away, seemed to learn from the experience. With Don Fehr coming aboard will only get stronger.

NBAPA- Billy Hunter Derek Fisher- Just don't get it. Will be remembered for taking the players out and their successors will end up accepting a lesser deal than what they walked away from. Losers all around.

Way too early to judge on the NBPA...we do not know what the outcome of a new CBA will be. But as always, that is your opinion.

So, the players are trying to decertify, which will most likely nuke the season...because they won't accept the 50/50 split with the owners. Even salsadancer thinks that split would be fair, but the players are willing to kill the season over it.

Sandra

So, the players are trying to decertify, which will most likely nuke the season...because they won't accept the 50/50 split with the owners. Even salsadancer thinks that split would be fair, but the players are willing to kill the season over it.

Sandra

Jesus, Mary and Joseph... it is no longer about the 50/50 split. You post sh*^ here of the actual offer and people STILL do not read it.:confused::rant::rolleyes::tsk:

Jesus, Mary and Joseph... it is no longer about the 50/50 split. You post sh*^ here of the actual offer and people STILL do not read it.

The players were only OK with a 50/50 split if the owners still had the opportunity to go way over that with mid-level exceptions, luxury tax, etc.

Which means it's no longer a 50/50 split.

Sandra

Details of the MLB CBA that both the players and the owners agreed to...

NBA D-League and hockey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)