Status
Please reply by conversation.

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
Is it just my local affiliate, or does the picture quality on these ABC HD games look like absolute crap? I mean this looks worse than the way ESPN looked before the MPEG4 transition. Colors are dull, fleshtones are drowned out, and even the ESPN bottom scroll looks like my television was in a bar room for 3 years before the smoking ban was implemented. Anyone else? I Should say up front that I don't watch a lot of NBA on ABC, so if I'm late to the mud-party I apologize.

I agree it's not the best pic quality especially when you compare it to the college game on cbs

I guess then I can take comfort in the fact that the horrible picture quality is just isolated to WTNH-8 and not ALL ABC viewers. I wish I could have taken a direct picture for comparison, but trust me it was horrible. Like I said, think of how bad ESPNHD used to look before the MPEG4, then add a little bit of noise, a little bit of macroblocking, and a general color dulling filter, and you get my experience. Anyone here in CT experience this sort of behavior on WTNH-8?

I was at my girlfriend's dad's house helping him set up some blu-ray players (PS, why can't the freakin D* remotes control a blu-ray player!!!!), and I switched to the game and it looked awful yesterday. I mean, other channels looked fine (like ESPN, or CBS, which I checked for comparison). It was just ABC at the time.

I was at my girlfriend's dad's house helping him set up some blu-ray players (PS, why can't the freakin D* remotes control a blu-ray player!!!!), and I switched to the game and it looked awful yesterday. I mean, other channels looked fine (like ESPN, or CBS, which I checked for comparison). It was just ABC at the time.

Did you look at the Owner Manual for the Blu Ray Player. A lot of times they will tell you the code to program other boxes to work the player. Try looking for Remote in the index.

If not, give me the Brand, Model # and serial number and I'll try to look into it for you.

Josh

Did you look at the Owner Manual for the Blu Ray Player. A lot of times they will tell you the code to program other boxes to work the player. Try looking for Remote in the index.

If not, give me the Brand, Model # and serial number and I'll try to look into it for you.

Josh

Thanks man! I appreciate any help you can give. He has two:

• Sony BDP-S500
  • Sony BDP-S2000ES (an expensive beauty)
I can't get SN's right now, because I am at "work." My quick search on the net found people being in agreement that the remote's don't support blu-rays. None of the Sony DVD codes worked either. The consensus was that we would have to wait for a newer revision of the remote.

Wtnh Bad Picture

I'm in CT. also and wtnh-abc 8 is the worst looking hd channel I have,I have a roof top antenna and can get abc 7 from new york and the difference between them and wtnh is night and day,abc new york looks great,crisp clear hd as it should look,abc ct.,very soft fuzzy look,I just don't get it,maybe they need to upgrade there equipment or something.I really wish directv would demand they improve or use the abc new york feed. Jim

I'm in CT. also and wtnh-abc 8 is the worst looking hd channel I have,I have a roof top antenna and can get abc 7 from new york and the difference between them and wtnh is night and day,abc new york looks great,crisp clear hd as it should look,abc ct.,very soft fuzzy look,I just don't get it,maybe they need to upgrade there equipment or something.I really wish directv would demand they improve or use the abc new york feed. Jim

Well, given the following facts:

• WTNH-8 is owned by Satan's Spawn (or, as they are known by their corporate name, LIN)
  • Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune started broadcasting in HD in September of 2006, yet WTNH-8 didn't start carrying the HD versions until January of 2009. Also, while it is called Jeopardy/WOF HD, perhaps WS (widescreen) would be more appropriate since the picture looks like nothing more than uprezzed SD with more stuff in the picture.
  • LIN's other entity, MYTV9 (which is a stupid name because it's really Channel 59) is still not broadcast in HD on D*, which makes watching WWE Smackdown almost a chore rather than an enjoyment, like watching WWE Raw in HD on USA.
I'm not surprised that WTNH-8 is the benchmark of HD CRAP in CT. I remember one time I was in hartford and I had an antenna hooked up and got ABC 40 from MA on the television, and the difference between OTA 40 and Cable 8 was apparent even to my dad.

I was watching some basketball on ABC on Sunday at my dad's house. He gets Comcast, and again, the picture was horrible looking there as well. I'm going to just assume that WTNH-HD is the source of the problem and that I should take it up with them, which I'm sure will fall upon deaf ears and general apathy.

I was watching some basketball on ABC on Sunday at my dad's house. He gets Comcast, and again, the picture was horrible looking there as well. I'm going to just assume that WTNH-HD is the source of the problem and that I should take it up with them, which I'm sure will fall upon deaf ears and general apathy.

I watched the Cavs/Pistons game on ABC-HD here in Cleveland via D*. I didn't notice it looking like "crap" like you suggest. Prolly a local issue.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts