NBC Affiliates on Ku-Band Satellite (1997)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's part of my hobby (satellite feeds), and I'm thinking OCD.
+mr3p the point of this thread is to evaluate all the NBC affiliates on that were Ku (standard) at the time! (NBC feeds were on GE-1 (same feed as Kentucky Educational TV), Satcom K2 and the affiliate/network feeds were on SBS-4).
KING 5 (NBC - Seattle), via Anik E2
KHQ 6 (NBC - Spokane), via Anik E2
KARE 11 (NBC - Minneapolis), via Anik E2 (I'm not sure If they carried all the Minneapolis stations?)
WDIV 4 (NBC - Detroit), via Anik E2
WGRZ 2 (NBC - Buffalo), via Anik E2
These are all I forget to mention, what else did they carry? (Ku-Band Satellite)

Last edited:
Joseph there is some videos on you tube if you look up c band satellite. That should help you out some.

Joseph, May I ask where you get this information that all of these local stations were available 24/7 on Ku Band satellites then? Did you look at the Ku chart from 1999 that Primestar31 linked from vincor? That's what Ku looked like then and is pretty accurate. Aside from NBC East,W,M,Pacific national feeds everything else was occasional video, not 24/7 uplinks. If all of these local stations were on Ku band 24/7 back then, everybody and there brother would have had a Ku setup for sure. I had my C/Ku setup back then and the only 24/7 local network channels available were on C-Band unencrypted or in VideoCipher. Aside from NBC, Ku was mostly sports/news feeds, maybe some horse racing. Are you tying to figure out which local network affiliate rented specific transponders to uplink occasional video or remote news feeds on particular satellites 20+ years ago? That's impossible as it is and was always changing. There really wasn't a Ku-Band satellite chart available because almost nothing was static. Those Anik E2 stations your referring to were on in fact on C-Band not Ku in Mpeg 1.5 compression (all of the stations you mentionon E2 are C-Band not Ku) and were probably uplinks for a Canadian DBS service being that they are border cities. The Ku side of E2 was all Star Chioce DBS in DigiCipher. I don't think there ever was any type of consumer MPEG 1.5 receiver available as digital was new tech at the time and MPEG2 wasn't the standard yet. Sounds like your looking at old "wayback machine" internet archive Lyngsat charts and don't know the difference frequency wise of C vs Ku bands? Let alone analog vs digital compression methods. 3900MHz vs 12000MHz makes all the difference.

Last edited:
along with the NBC feeds that were carried on Ku-Band GE1, which of the NBC affiliates were available on Ku-Band at the time?, aside from what's listed here? (1997)

S3R-13: WRC 4 Washington, D.C.
S3R-13L: KXAS 5 Dallas-Ft. Worth
S3R-13U: WHDH 7 Boston (also carried as the east coast NBC affiliate on Primestar)
S3R-14: WTVJ 6 Miami-Ft. Lauderdale
S3R-14L: WMAQ 5 Chicago
S3R-14U: WXIA 11 Atlanta
S3R-15L: KNBC 4 Los Angeles (also carried as the PT24 west coast NBC affiliate on C-Band/DirecTV)
S3R-15U: WNBC 4 New York City (also carried as the PT24 east coast NBC affiliate on C-Band/DirecTV, branded as "NBC America Via Satellite")
S3R-16: KPNX 12 Phoenix
S3R-17L: KRON 4 San Francisco
S3R-17U: WPXI 11 Pittsburgh
S3R-18L: KSL 5 Salt Lake City
WSMV 4 Nashville (as part of the Nashville package that was on Galaxy 4 Ku-Band)
I wonder what other NBC affiliates they carried back in '97?
along with the NBC feeds that were carried on Ku-Band GE1, which of the NBC affiliates were available on Ku-Band at the time?, aside from what's listed here? (1997)

S3R-13: WRC 4 Washington, D.C.
S3R-13L: KXAS 5 Dallas-Ft. Worth
S3R-13U: WHDH 7 Boston (also carried as the east coast NBC affiliate on Primestar)
S3R-14: WTVJ 6 Miami-Ft. Lauderdale
S3R-14L: WMAQ 5 Chicago
S3R-14U: WXIA 11 Atlanta
S3R-15L: KNBC 4 Los Angeles (also carried as the PT24 west coast NBC affiliate on C-Band/DirecTV)
S3R-15U: WNBC 4 New York City (also carried as the PT24 east coast NBC affiliate on C-Band/DirecTV, branded as "NBC America Via Satellite")
S3R-16: KPNX 12 Phoenix
S3R-17L: KRON 4 San Francisco
S3R-17U: WPXI 11 Pittsburgh
S3R-18L: KSL 5 Salt Lake City
WSMV 4 Nashville (as part of the Nashville package that was on Galaxy 4 Ku-Band)
I wonder what other NBC affiliates they carried back in '97?

All of those stations were on C-Band not Ku on S3R back in 1999 as well according to the internet archive. Same transponders just not Ku band, my man. They were likely DBS local network uplinks. There were a lot of local networks uplinked on C-Band to DBS back in 1997. Why bother? Were you even born yet? You've confused C and Ku bands or don't seem to know the difference.

Last edited:
Exactly. I tried to explain that in one of the 18 topics. He's playing you guys and you keep responding. Directv had multiple affiliates on Cband.

Sent from my VS995 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: bill1
Me thinks this is the same guy bombarding Rick's with dumb questions. Fits the MO says been doing it for years, yet asks how many pixels in a satellite.

Reactions: MikeI
He registered at Rick's and Rick asked why he wanted the information from so long ago since everything had changed. He gave the same evasive answer about just hobby interest.

There were three days with no replies to his original post and now the entire thread is gone.

Reactions: MikeI
;) ;) :) You guys read the forum, cool. Rick banned him and he took the post down. Rick was asked to get the info himself..
I've really been trying to remember and even searched the old backhaul websites from the 90s. Maybe I shouldn't mention that. I only had ku from '96 to early 2000s as my Cband dish was back at my parents. I even searched my email as posts at that time were done by email,
I couldn't remember a spacenet 3 on ku. Transponders were not split like lower, middle and upper at that time. There certainly weren't affiliates on ku in the 90s 24/7. NBC went digital for either the 2000 or 2002 Olympics. I forget now. Bunch of news and sports feeds at that time. Even telstsr 5 had backhauls before all the channels came in.

SBS 6, AMC 5, AMC 16, GE3/AMC 3, Telstar 4, Telstar 6, G3. T5, Gstsr1 and 4, and T7 out West had the most feeds

Sent from my VS995 using the SatelliteGuys app!

I couldn't remember a spacenet 3 on ku

S3R did have Ku capabilities:

49DC9A94-C239-40C5-BC22-F121FEA1364C.png

Reactions: bill1 and MikeI
All of those stations were on C-Band not Ku on S3R back in 1999 as well according to the internet archive. Same transponders just not Ku band, my man. They were likely DBS local network uplinks. There were a lot of local networks uplinked on C-Band to DBS back in 1997. Why bother? Were you even born yet? You've confused C and Ku bands or don't seem to know the difference.
I thought Spacenet 3R went primarily all Ku Band, after GE Americom's GE-3 (W3) satellite replaced the weaker SN3 feeds on most C-Band systems.

You thought wrong. Look at the chart in post 53. How many Ku feeds do you see?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts