NBC Ku Feeds

JFOK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Cape Cod - MA.
Hi All,

Not that I’m complaining, but what purpose does it serve for NBC to keep their weather sensitive Ku feeds ?

John

Though weather-sensitive, if their people have big dishes as they likely do, the signal just goes down some but they likely don't lose it. I'm sure if they only need relatively small Ku dishes on their remotes that it's a lot easier for them than a large C dish. Even with my 1.2m, I find I usually only lose signal for short times during heavy rain.

Last Thursday night 1/20/22 I found that the East NBC feed TP on 103w that I normally record The Blacklist on was so weak I couldn't lock it. 11880 is the FTA East feed and I can't remember when it wasn't there. The other FTA TP, which is the 11760 West feed and normally too weak to lock was working with about 72% but it's a couple of hours after the normal 8pm East feed but I did record that one.

Then Monday I happened to go to that 11880 TP and it was working again with Q up around 72% again and 11760 was working also?? Just another of those WTF moments!!

And a final question, is there any hope that the new NBC biss feeds on 12120 will ever be ITC? That one is booming for me at around 85% on a good day but it's still scrambled.

I experienced the up and down in signal on 11880. But I ended recording on 11880 after all. I assumed it was weather-related. In general these days, both 11760 and 11880 are very strong.

This morning in light snow, 12120 is a little stronger than 11880, and Cozi is quite watchable on it. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for 12120 to become unencrypted. But who knows?

Kinda of curious maybe y'all can help me. I have a GeosatPro 90CM dish on a SG6100 Motor and currently live in Washington State (near Olympia). I can hit the 12145 transponder so I know I at least hit the bird, but I can't seem to hit 11880 or 11760. Any suggestions on how to fine tune it or do I need a 1.2M dish?

Kinda of curious maybe y'all can help me. I have a GeosatPro 90CM dish on a SG6100 Motor and currently live in Washington State (near Olympia). I can hit the 12145 transponder so I know I at least hit the bird, but I can't seem to hit 11880 or 11760. Any suggestions on how to fine tune it or do I need a 1.2M dish?

Are you getting the usual feeds on the other satellites? Just wanting to make sure your motor is tracking correctly..

Reactions: card13 and FTA4PA
Howdy from the Nisqually prairie! I struggle to receive 11880H on a 90cm dish here... as if we are on the edge of the spot beam. I can get 11760H pretty reliably. I can always get 12145V no matter the weather, it is the strongest transponder.

I agree with comfortably_numb, it sounds like your dish alignment is off just a bit. I would recommend aligning your dish against 123W transponder 12077V DVB-S 3680. That is exactly due south from here and has a pretty strong signal.

It is a game of very, very slight adjustments. If you have an enigma2 receiver such as the Edision os mio, the SignalMeter app for Android is a lifesaver - it connects to the receiver over WiFi and gives you a signal meter on your phone for very fine adjustments.

comfortably_numb I have gotten a few feeds but not many. Last blind Scan I got 200 TV chans and 100 Radio Chans for the whole apx 20 Sat list.

k1cza I assume you meant 12078 for PSB World. I took your advice and tuned to it as best I could. I only messed w/Elevation because I know my Azimuth is pretty close since I used EchoStar 9 and DishNetwork's TP 12016V 20000 at the very beginning.

Here are my signal levels from my GTMEDIA V8 Finder (levels are known to be low on this finder device).
PXL_20220209_012008302.jpg

Reactions: comfortably_numb
k1cza I assume you meant 12078 for PSB World. I took your advice and tuned to it as best I could. I only messed w/Elevation because I know my Azimuth is pretty close since I used EchoStar 9 and DishNetwork's TP 12016V 20000 at the very beginning.

Here are my signal levels from my GTMEDIA V8 Finder (levels are known to be low on this finder device).
It looks like you got the transponder I suggested - it is actually Korean Broadcasting. I have attached my signal finder for the same transponder just now to help you compare, though as you have noted, your numbers may be lower.

Again I agree with comfortably_numb, it wouldn't hurt to reset your USALS/dish tracking settings, and also double-check all your installation steps. I used the STAB HH90 instructions to the letter to install my rotor, and I would do the same regardless of brand, because STAB is the reference standard for USALS rotors. Specifically, you should only ever adjust the vertical alignment using the Geosatpro's bracket, and only while pointed true south. Otherwise your alignment across the horizon will be thrown off. There is also a good thread by KE4EST on USALS install/alignment.

Attachments

• screenshot_20220208173930.jpg
    screenshot_20220208173930.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 101
I used the STAB HH90 instructions to the letter to install my rotor, and I would do the same regardless of brand, because STAB is the reference standard for USALS rotors.

Well, a little remark here .........
In 8.2 (case 1 of the fine-adjustment check) and 8.3 (case 2) of the STAB manuals I would do exactly the opposite as to what is described there.

I've learned a lot by reading multiple motor setup manuals, to better understand the angles involved, and what is important and what not.
All manuals have their own merits, I think. The special hints, that you needed. It is nice that the internet gives access to so much information (though sometimes you have to sort out incorrectnesses yourself).

Greetz,
A33

Reactions: k1cza

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts