NCAA Basketball 2008-09 Season

Billy Donovan said no already. Calipari doesn't look interested either, and Jay Wright said leave me alone. Looks like the Kentucky job isn't as coveted as it once was.

That's why Calipari should stay.

Even when Calipari and Memphis had those heartbreaking losses, he was never blamed/vilified like Gillespie was for his tournament losses.

Memphis is more forgiving than Kentucky.

I bet they get Travis Ford from Oklahoma St because he's a Kentucky alum.

I don't think so; by beating OU and winning a tournament game, as well as scaring Pittsburgh, that should put him in goid graces on Stillwater.

Last night there were reports linking Rick Pitino for a possible return to Kentucky.

I can not see Pitino is capable of doing such a possible flip-flop.

Besides, I don't know if the possibility of going from a school chasing a title to a school whose hoops team is in chaos sounds good.

After all, to paraphrase Pitino, Jamal Mashburn not walking through that door. Antoine Walker's not walking through that door. Ron Mercer's not walking through that door, Rajon Rondo is not walking through that door.

I don't think so; by beating OU and winning a tournament game, as well as scaring Pittsburgh, that should put him in goid graces on Stillwater.
Yeah but he's a Kentucky alum and he's only coached at Oklahoma St for 1 year. Of course it'd be nice to start a bidding war between Kentucky and Boone Pickens.

UConn is the first team into the Final Four.

IMO, it's all the more impressive considering the season-ending injury to leading-scorer Jerome Dyson.

(Try to imagine if the 1999 team had to win the whole tournament without Rip Hamilton)

Also, this team seemed much better prepared for the tourney than their #1 seed of 2006- played three good tourney games, and never let Mizzou get in their heads ala George Mason.

(This team's better than the much-hyped 2006 team- didn't have a big guy ala Thabeet)

Calipari has an ideal situation for himself in Memphis. He is successful in recruiting and in keeping the lesser players who do not jump to the NBA after one year academically eligible. The former requires cooperation from boosters, and the latter requires cooperation from academia. Those things cannot be transferred to another job or even reliably cultivated elsewhere. The bird in hand trumps the one in the bush in this instance.

Wow, Villanova played like no tomorrow.
I mean at 4 minutes I thought Pitt had the game in the bag, but a miracle happened after that.

Villanova on the FT line was just outstanding.
FT is what won them the game.

This game was by far the best I've seen so far in this tournament.

I know we don't have a women's basketball thread, but I just saw a stunning finish.

Iowa State was down 68-61 late in the game, but they rallied for a win.

This reminds me of Gonzaga/UCLA.

UConn is the first team into the Final Four.

IMO, it's all the more impressive considering the season-ending injury to leading-scorer Jerome Dyson.

(Try to imagine if the 1999 team had to win the whole tournament without Rip Hamilton)

Also, this team seemed much better prepared for the tourney than their #1 seed of 2006- played three good tourney games, and never let Mizzou get in their heads ala George Mason.

(This team's better than the much-hyped 2006 team- didn't have a big guy ala Thabeet)

I like the sentiment, but you're a bit off.

Dyson was good, really good, but not Rip good. Better comparison would be 2006 without Rudy Gay.

And I'm coming around on your 2nd point on 2006 vs this team. 2006 had 3 first round NBA picks starting, but this team has much better spread-out scoring.

Coach K Woos Seth Curry to Duke

Despite being eliminated from the Tourney. Duke continues to gain headlines.

Coach K certainly has a way with words. Hours after the Blue Devil basketball coach offered former Liberty guard Seth Curry a scholarship to Duke University, the six-foot-three guard accepted. Due to NCAA transfer rules, Curry won't be eligible to play for Duke until the 2010-2011 season. Last season, Curry averaged 20.2 points a game for Liberty, but his production dipped toward the end of the season as opponents double-teamed the freshman phenom. Curry decided that, in order to achieve his full potential, he needed to face stiffer competition than he could find in the Big South.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4026095"]Liberty Flames' Seth Curry decides to transfer to Duke Blue Devils - ESPN[/ame]

Despite being eliminated from the Tourney. Duke continues to gain headlines.

Coach K certainly has a way with words. Hours after the Blue Devil basketball coach offered former Liberty guard Seth Curry a scholarship to Duke University, the six-foot-three guard accepted. Due to NCAA transfer rules, Curry won't be eligible to play for Duke until the 2010-2011 season. Last season, Curry averaged 20.2 points a game for Liberty, but his production dipped toward the end of the season as opponents double-teamed the freshman phenom. Curry decided that, in order to achieve his full potential, he needed to face stiffer competition than he could find in the Big South.

Liberty Flames' Seth Curry decides to transfer to Duke Blue Devils - ESPN
Great. Just what dook needs. Another guy to jack up wild 3 point shots. All they have to do is teach him to flop, kick his legs out when he shoots to draw fouls, and slap the floor. I hate him already. :D

All they have to do is teach him to flop, kick his legs out when he shoots to draw fouls, and slap the floor.

I'll bet he was doing that at Liberty already.:D

After all, he could have gone to any ACC team- how would you feel if he went to Clemson or Florida State or Wake Forest?

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4028642"]Washington State coach Tony Bennett headed to Virginia - ESPN[/ame]

Tony Bennett to UVA. Consider me underwhelmed. Virginia will now be the most boring team in the ACC. I hope their fans like games in the 40's cause that's what they will get.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4037496"]Tim Floyd to remain as coach at USC - ESPN[/ame]

File this under trainwreck. Tim Floyd isn't that a good of a coach anyway. Now Arizona's been rejected by Pitino, Mark Few, Jeff Capel and now Floyd. And they've got no good players coming back next year. They're gonna be like Indiana was this year. I think they may have to just give the job back to Russ Pennell. D'oh. :rolleyes:

Tim Floyd to remain as coach at USC - ESPN

File this under trainwreck. Tim Floyd isn't that a good of a coach anyway. Now Arizona's been rejected by Pitino, Mark Few, Jeff Capel and now Floyd. And they've got no good players coming back next year. They're gonna be like Indiana was this year. I think they may have to just give the job back to Russ Pennell. D'oh. :rolleyes:

Pearl from Tennessee is next in line from what I'm hearing. I don't understand why nobody would want this job. This is an excellent BB school. I think Arizona dodged the train wreck when Floyd turned them down. What has that guy ever done? You think he would have jumped at the chance to get out of the USC football program's shadow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts