LSU- 3
Florida St.- 4
Marquette- 6
Tennessee- 7
California- 8
Duke- 3
Oklahoma- 2
UCLA- 9

Is anybody going to start a pool? Yahoo runs a good one. For those of you with more money than brains, (like me), I can steer you to a reasonably priced pool. Just PM me. I've been in it for a few years, and the payout has been reliable.

North Carolina Hoops? Pft...

I'd like to be the first to congratulate the wonderful state of Ohio in this year's NCAA Tournament selections.

The State of Ohio is well represented this year. In total, they have 5 teams being represented. (The Ohio State Buckeyes, The Vikings of Cleveland State, Le Dayton Flyers, The Xavier Musketeers and the Akron Zips).

Why is it that I always hear about North Carolina being the College Basketball Mecca of the World? By my count, NC only has 3 teams in the Tourney. Is it time to crown Ohio the new Basketball Mecca?

Why is it that I always hear about North Carolina being the College Basketball Mecca of the World? By my count, NC only has 3 teams in the Tourney. Is it time to crown Ohio the new Basketball Mecca?
Not unless you've got a legit NC contender. I don't think Akron is gonna get it done. :rolleyes:

Not unless you've got a legit NC contender. I don't think Akron is gonna get it done. :rolleyes:

2nd question: Do all of those kids on Duke, UNC and Wake come from North Carolina, or are they imports from other states such as Ohio?

Ohio's a great breading ground for football and basketball talent in particular.

Fun with Numbers

1986 was a significant year.

1986 was the last time Akron went to the NCAA Tournament. 1986 was also the last time Cleveland State went to the NCAA Tournament. That year, Cleveland State made it all the way to the Sweet 16 and beat Bobby Knight's Hoosiers along the way.

This year in 2009, both Akron and CSU are in the Tournament again.

2009- 1986 is 23.

23 is the same number as basketball phenom and fellow Akron, Ohio resident, LeBron James.

Do any of these numbers mean anything? Is it all just a strange coincidence?

I say this is all setting up for Akron to be this year's Cinderella. If the Zips can sneak past Gonzaga, watch out. They would then take on the Illinois/ W.Kentucky winner to go to the Sweet 16.

HD, your choice of Akron to be a tournament Cinderella is more believable than cjwct picking Arizona to make the Final Four.

They are not that good; they are just another team.

IMO, they have still yet to recover from their inexplicable loss to Illinois in the 2005 Elite Eight; that falls under the category of losses that take years to get over.

1986 was a significant year.

1986 was the last time Akron went to the NCAA Tournament. 1986 was also the last time Cleveland State went to the NCAA Tournament. That year, Cleveland State made it all the way to the Sweet 16 and beat Bobby Knight's Hoosiers along the way.

This year in 2009, both Akron and CSU are in the Tournament again.

2009- 1986 is 23.

23 is the same number as basketball phenom and fellow Akron, Ohio resident, LeBron James.

Do any of these numbers mean anything? Is it all just a strange coincidence?

I say this is all setting up for Akron to be this year's Cinderella. If the Zips can sneak past Gonzaga, watch out. They would then take on the Illinois/ W.Kentucky winner to go to the Sweet 16.

Gary, is that you??!?!?! :) :) :) (Not sure how much local radio you listen to)

IMO, they have still yet to recover from their inexplicable loss to Illinois in the 2005 Elite Eight; that falls under the category of losses that take years to get over.
You do realize that the all of the players and the HC from that 2005 Arizona team are not there any more, right??? Plus, wasn't Illinois the top overall seed that year??

You do realize that the all of the players and the HC from that 2005 Arizona team are not there any more, right??? Plus, wasn't Illinois the top overall seed that year??

From 1987-2005, Arizona was one of the top teams in the country.

Since then, they have not been as good as they used to be. (They have been an 8, 9, 10, and 12 seed in the seasons since that Elite Eight collapse).

Depends what time of the day. Is Gary a local caller?

Gary the numbers guy. He was a caller and now he makes occasional visits to the WTAM studio. He's either a brilliant numerologist, an excellent con-man, or mentally ill. I don't listen to Triv that often, but when I do, he seems to be talking about/to Gary.

He claims to have used numerology to predict 9/11 and the stock crash.....He's also been banned from the Browns practice facility for reasons unknown to me.

Gary the Numbers Guy | The Daily Bragger

2nd question: Do all of those kids on Duke, UNC and Wake come from North Carolina, or are they imports from other states such as Ohio?

Ohio's a great breading ground for football and basketball talent in particular.
Actually very few of UNC's players of from NC. Basically just the walk ons. Pretty much the same for dook and Wake, although there have been some great local players that have played for all those teams. Well not dook, but Carolina, Wake and State (when they were good) have had great local talent.

You're right there are good players from Ohio. Jawad Wiiliams who was on Carolina's 2005 NC team was from Cleveland.

NIT Gameday Central​
DateDayGameTimeCoverage First Round Mar. 17Tues.#6 Rhode Island at #3 Niagara7:00 p.m., ET Mar. 17Tues.#6 Davidson at #3 South Carolina7:00 p.m., ETESPN2 | Gametracker Mar. 17Tues.#7 George Mason at #2 Penn St.8:00 p.m., ETESPNU HD | Gametracker Mar. 17Tues.#7 UAB at #2 Notre Dame9:00 p.m., ETESPN2 | Gametracker Mar. 17Tues.#5 UNLV at #4 Kentucky9:00 p.m., ETESPN | Gametracker Mar. 17Tues.#8 Weber St. at #1 San Diego St.10:00 p.m., ET Mar. 17Tues.#6 Nebraska at #3 New Mexico10:00 p.m., ETESPNU Mar. 17Tues.#7 Washington St. at #2 St. Mary's (CA)11:00 p.m. ETESPN2 Mar. 18Wed.#4 Miami (Fla.) at #5 Providence7:00 p.m., ETESPN2 Mar. 18Wed.#7 Duquesne at #2 Virginia Tech7:00 p.m., ETESPNU Mar. 18Wed.#5 Illinois St. at #4 Kansas St.8:00 p.m., ET Mar. 18Wed.#8 Tenn.-Martin at #1 Auburn8:00 p.m., ET Gametracker Mar. 18Wed.#8 Bowling Green at #1 Creighton8:00 p.m., ETGametracker Mar. 18Wed.#8 Jacksonville at #1 Florida8:00 p.m., ET Mar. 18Wed.#6 Georgetown at #3 Baylor9:00 p.m., ETESPN2 | Gametracker Mar. 18Wed.#5 Northwestern at #4 Tulsa9:00 p.m., ETESPNU HD | Gametracker Second Round Mar. 19Thurs. 7:00 p.m., ETESPN2 Mar. 19/20Thurs./Fri. Mar. 19/20Thurs./Fri. Mar. 21Sat. 11:00 a.m. ETESPN Mar. 23Mon. 7:00 p.m., ETESPN Mar. 23Mon. 8:00 p.m., ETESPNU Mar. 23Mon. 10:00 p.m., ETESPNU Mar. 23Mon. 11:30 p.m., ETESPN2 Quarterfinals Mar. 24Tues. 7:00 p.m., ETESPN Mar. 24Tues. 9:00 p.m., ETESPN Mar. 25Wed. 7:00 p.m., ETESPN2 Mar. 25Wed. 9:00 p.m., ETESPN2
Semifinals​
Mar. 31Tues. 7:00 p.m., ETESPN

From 1987-2005, Arizona was one of the top teams in the country.

Since then, they have not been as good as they used to be. (They have been an 8, 9, 10, and 12 seed in the seasons since that Elite Eight collapse).
I realize that, but to say a team has little chance of winning this year because a whole different team and HC lost four years ago to the overall #1 seed is absurd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts