NCAA College Basketball 2011-12

I have a question.......now last night was the 1st time I actually watched a smidge of a game with Bobby Knight as the color guy (Minnesota/VT). Is it just me or does he not want to be there and like to throw out asinine answers so people will think "oh he's still being Coach Knight"?

examples
At the beginning of the broadcast when they show the announcers he looked kinda confused and had the "why the hell am I here" look on his face
They talked about the Goofs losing one guy for the year (Mbakwe) and Ralph Sampson III is out for the game and the pxp guy asks "how is Minnesota going to deal with these 2 loses" and Knight said something like "nothing....thats why you have 12 guys there on the team" and went into some rambling about losing a guy when he coached at Army or something.

During the telecast most of what he would comment on was just smart ass comments.

That look on his face pisses me off every time. To me it's a " I'm Bobby Knight and I'm great and the rest of you suck" look.

Yeah, that's Bobby Knight. I'm sure he talked about ball fakes too.

But he's still a heck of a lot better than Dick Vitale. You can't even tell what he's saying since he's too busy trying to announce a game and kiss Coach K's tukkus at the same time.

Sandra

I disagree, and I can't stand Dookie V. IMO, he's still miles better than Knight.

Give me McDonough/Raftery/Bilas any day. That trio is awesome!

This I agree with. I also like Clark Kellogg because he doesn't get caught up in fawning all over the coaches that are involved in the game. He just comments on the game.

Reggie Miller and the other NBA guys who announced the NCAA tournament last year were fantastic.

Sandra

Ok, so wait a second. I think the ACC/Big Ten challenge matchups are set by either last year's standings, or this year's pre-season rankings. I forget. Either way, there is rhyme or reason to them.

So for the Big East/SEC event, how does St. John's wind up getting paired up with Kentucky for goodness sakes? How does the number one team in the SEC win a date with a team that was nothing more than a pretty good Big East team last year, and, because the team is now mostly freshmen, is ranked even lower than that at the start of this year? Huh?

Why doesn't Kentucky get Syracuse, or UConn, or Louisville, one of the Big East top 10 teams? Jeesh.

I get that nobody knew that two of St. John's top recruiting class wouldn't be eligible until late December, and that nobody knew their coach would need to sit out games early in the season. But still.

If someone said 'hey, Kentucky and St. John's...two of the storied programs in NCAA basketball...both in the top 10 in all time wins...let's get them together'. Fine. But that should have been done at the Garden or, better yet, on campus at Carnesecca Arena.

End rant.

Sandra

Some good games to watch this weekend:

Friday
7:00PM Florida-Syracuse, ESPN
9:00PM Vanderbilt-Louisville, ESPN

Saturday
12:00PM North Carolina-Kentucky, CBS
3:00PM Purdue-Xavier, ESPN U
3:15PM Gonzaga-Illinois, ESPN 2
4:30PM Marquette-Wisconsin, Big Ten Network

Sunday
4:00PM Baylor-Northwestern, Big Ten Network
4:00PM North Carolina State-Stanford, Fox Sports Net
5:00PM California-San Diego State, The Mountain
5:00PM Nebraska-Creighton, ESPN Full Court
5:30PM Kansas-State-Virginia Tech, ESPN U

Special shout out to teams like Purde, California and Nebraska...having the stones to travel to a mid-major's home court. Good stuff.

Sorry Iceberg, no Utah State on TV this weekend at all! I guess they figure with my cousin somewhere in the South Pacific, converting people to Mormonism despite her almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, there isn't as much reason to show them.

Enjoy!

Sandra

Nebraska and Creighton play pretty much every year, I believe. But yes, for them to go to Creighton is nice. Its an intimidating venue actually. But of course, it will have a lot of Nebraska fans present.

Sandra - I hear you. The only thing worse than majors not going to mid-majors? Majors who won't play @ majors! I'm looking straight at Durham on this one, because K WILL NOT PLAY UCONN IN CT. There's an offer from them to play @ MSG.

Man up, Kdgsf;lkjasdgfkhjasfl;kajsdflkjasdfski.

How about them cats!

Sent from a galaxy far far away.

No games floating my boat tonight to watch. YMMV.

For some reason St. John's has been picked as the opponent to travel to Detroit tonight for the unveiling of the naming of Dick Vitale court. Jeesh.

Sandra

I disagree, and I can't stand Dookie V. IMO, he's still miles better than Knight.

Dont forget about Verne and Raft. They are excellent on College Basketball as well.

That look on his face pisses me off every time. To me it's a " I'm Bobby Knight and I'm great and the rest of you suck" look.

Its funny John Feinstein has a book out about, I believe Coach Knight. He was on WFAN with Mike Franseca and Feinstein bascially said that Knight was a bully. The thing is as good as he is as a coach, I think I will piss off the wrong person one day. You might get someone half his age who wont take any of his crap and then watch out.

Some good games to watch tonight:

7:00PM Marshall-Syracuse, Sportsnet New York
7:00PM Missouri-Villanova, ESPN (New York, NY)
9:00PM Long Beach State-Kansas, ESPN U
9:00PM Memphis-Miami (FL), ESPN 2
9:00PM Washington-Marquette, ESPN (New York, NY)

Would have more respect for Kansas if they would have traveled to Long Beach for that game. See if Jayhawk can Rock Chalk at a mid-major team in front of a hostile crowd a tight, smaller gym. Oh well.

Only worth watching the last ten minutes at around 11PM tonight for the end of the Utah State game tonight on ESPN Full Court...IF they are winning!

Enjoy!

Sandra

Only worth watching the last ten minutes at around 11PM tonight for the end of the Utah State game tonight on ESPN Full Court...IF they are winning!

so I flipped the game on yesterday (actually found the satellite feed w/no commercials...gotta love free to air) and I guess the whole "chant" thing at the end some people think its cute. But I guess if the whole crowd did it maybe it would be really cool. But one thing I noticed is the crowd was very sparse (especially opposite camera side). Lots of folks dressed as yellow seats ;)

Also did you hear about the students "protest" at last game? I guess something about some of the chants they say so they had a 3 minute protest where the students didnt say anything....

goodbye and good riddance.

Vandy with the upset!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)