NCAA Football 2008-09 Season

And PSU's outstanding record in bowl games (including winning three in a row) has no impact on how you perceive that team? Huh? ....
The last two seasons, no, it didn't. Why should it? Since they were beaten by the team that eventually blew it big time in the MNC, I didn't think much of them at all. This is a different season however. Penn State has the chance to prove they are the real deal, and in the process give the Big 10 credibility again. Win the big one and I and others will give them the credit they deserve. I said I would bow to their superiority. What's so confusing about that? Until then, I can and will remain sceptacle. :)

Texas will likely be the Big-12 South champion, so the Big-12 North team (when they lose to Texas) will be runner up. Since Texas will be in the MNC, they can't go to the Fiesta Bowl, so the runner up (Missouri) will.

I don't think the Big 12 North would get a BCS bid. Missouri and Kansas both have 2 losses now. Losing in the Big 12 title game would give them 3 and put either one down in the BCS poll. If Oklahoma, Oklahoma State or Texas Tech ( assuming they lose to Texas) win out they would be higher ranked and get the BCS bowl bid. If by some crazy chance you have a Texas / Oklahoma rematch in the MNC then all other Big 12 teams are out because you can only have 2 teams from the same conference in BCS bowls.

Last edited:
All I have to say is "put up or shut up." When a Big10 champion defeats a team in the MNC I will bow to their superiority. Until then...
moon.gif

Wow. was 2002 really that long ago? :confused::rolleyes:

I do believe this has happened already. 2002? "That evil school from down South".
OK, guess I should rephrase my statement to say "if the Big 10 champ defeats a team in the MNC this year, I will bow to their superiority. Until then...
kissass.gif
." Better? :)

... If by some crazy chance you have a Texas / Oklahoma rematch in the MNC then all other Big 12 teams are out because you can only have 2 teams from the same conference in BCS bowls.
Forgot about that rule. Either way, Oklahoma is unlikely to be in the Fiesta Bowl this year.

The last two seasons, no, it didn't. Why should it? Since they were beaten by the team that eventually blew it big time in the MNC, I didn't think much of them at all. This is a different season however. Penn State has the chance to prove they are the real deal, and in the process give the Big 10 credibility again. Win the big one and I and others will give them the credit they deserve. I said I would bow to their superiority. What's so confusing about that? Until then, I can and will remain sceptacle. :)

But you are making the argument that PSU doesn't deserve a chance to play in the big one because of tOSU crapping the bed. That doesn't make any sense. PSU 2008 is not tOSU 2006 or tOSU 2007. What does it matter what tOSU did in the past? PSU beat them this year, in their stadium. PSU has also defeated every other team they have played. The tOSU was the only game that was even close. What exactly else can PSU do to prove its worthiness?

This is particularly true when PSU is the most balanced team in the nation -- with a great offense, defense, and special teams play. Would they defeat Texas or Bama on a neutral field? Who knows. But I don't see any particular reason to doubt that they'd be competitive based on how PSU (and how those other teams) has performed so far this season.

Here's how I see the MNC shaking out....

Of the 3 undefeated teams left (Texas, Alabama and Penn St), Penn State has the best chance to remain undefeated as they have the easiest remaining schedule.

Let's say PSU runs the table and remains undefeated. Now, what are the chances that both Texas and Alabama go undefeated, especially with their inter-conference year end tourney's? Answer: not very good.

With that said, we could have PSU as the only undefeated team, with a bunch of 1 loss teams. How are you going to select a single one-loss team? Especially if it comes down to having to choose between the Big 12 champ, the SEC champ and USC? There's truly no way to justify this selection.

This is shaping up to be yet another mess for the BCS.

There are a string of trendy, unbeaten BCS buster possibilities.

Who has the best chance of running the table- Ball State, Tulsa, or Utah?

Utah or Boise St or even TCU (yes, I know they have a loss, but it was to Oklahoma). I don't see Ball State or Tulsa even getting ranked high enough in the BCS rankings to qualify.

Who has the best chance of running the table- Ball State, Tulsa, or Utah?

Ball State, but IMO, none of these teams will remain undefeated when it's all said and done.

Utah still has #13 TCU and #20 BYU remaining.

Tulsa has Arkansas remaining. Even the worst SEC team has to be better than the best C-USA team, right?

Ball Sate has 4 remaining inter divisional MAC games left, with Central Michigan being the toughest.

Tulsa has Arkansas remaining. Even the worst SEC team has to be better than the best C-USA team, right?

Maybe if Darren McFadden had stayed for one more year, I'd be concerned. Look at what happened to the Hogs against high-scoring Florida and Texas.

Tulsa's coordinator came from Arkansas last year. I expect a good game plan from TU. Arkansas could lose to TU, it's happened before.

... The TU-Arkansas game will reunite Gus Malzahn and the Razorbacks. Malzahn spent one season as the Hogs offensive coordinator before leaving to take the same position at TU in 2007. His Golden Hurricane offense led the nation in total offense.

Arkansas will be led by coach Bobby Petrino, who will be in his first season at the school after taking over for Houston Nutt.

It will be the 71st meeting between the schools, and the first since 2003. Arkansas leads the series 51-16-3.
Tulsa-Arkansas Football? | Arkansas Sports 360.com

Not really. Arkansas is pretty awful this year -- this is a team that barely got by Louisiana-Monroe and 1-AA Western Illinois. I expect Tulsa to win and maybe even blow them out. Tulsa may very well lose, but it's more likely to be against Houston or in the CUSA Championship (probably East Carolina) than against Arkansas.

Exactly. Clemson was ranked #9 in the preseason polls which goes to show what a joke those polls are. Neither Auburn nor Clemson are overrated now since they have been exposed long ago. Texas Tech is ranked in the top 10 right now as the result of playing lots of cupcakes. They are the most overrated team in the country right now hands down.

Exactly!

Other than Ohio State and a reborn Virginia team, who the hell has USC played?

You want to talk about a pathetic schedule; look at USC.

Besides, as a Tech fan, it's one thing to lose to a top 10 team, but another to lose to an unranked and average Oregon State team (cough USC cough)

Do I dare say USC is a team with a soft schedule? HELL YEAH!

Tech comes from a great conference; Southern Cal plays in a very mediocre conference.

But you are making the argument that PSU doesn't deserve a chance to play in the big one because of tOSU crapping the bed...
No, no, no.. I'm not. Reread my posts.
...PSU is the most balanced team in the nation -- with a great offense, defense, and special teams play. Would they defeat Texas or Bama on a neutral field? Who knows. But I don't see any particular reason to doubt that they'd be competitive based on how PSU (and how those other teams) has performed so far this season.
We'll see when they make it to the MNC, won't we? Until then, I'll question whether the Big 10 champ is up to the task of winning it all. Hope they do now that my team can't, especially if it's Bama. ;) :)

The media has nothing to do with it. Oklahoma has a better chance of playing Texas in the MNC than it has of playing in the Fiesta Bowl. Texas will likely be the Big-12 South champion, so the Big-12 North team (when they lose to Texas) will be runner up. Since Texas will be in the MNC, they can't go to the Fiesta Bowl, so the runner up (Missouri) will. Oklahoma has a chance of moving up to 2nd in the BCS with a poor showing by PSU and Alabama at some point in November.

I think your jumping the gun a bit, there's a lot of football to play yet and you've seen how the top teams have gone down the last several years.

Mc Nabb's Yard Vandalized

Alonzo Mourning retires

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)