NCAA Football 2009-10 Season

I like them both, but I would make it that there are no same conference match-ups in the first round. I would also reseed after each round.

Only problem is, if your going to avoid the same conference in the first round (and I agree btw) how do you move them, up, down ??? Would that be fair to the other teams ?

I'm curious as to why you would say that.

Like it has been said, money is a big motivating factor as well as the potential of being the savior of the ND football program.

I like Jim Harbaugh as the next ND coach. In addition to being a very good coach, he's got the experience of dealing with the higher academic restrictions that some recent ND coaches have had problems dealing with.

as Ty Willingham, also from Stanford, IIRC, did. :D

Here's what a playoff would look like with all 11 conference champs and 5 at larges.

1) Alabama vs 16) Troy
2) Texas vs 15) East Carolina
3) Cincinnati vs 14) Central Michigan
4) TCU vs 13) LSU
5) Florida vs 12) Penn St
6) Boise St vs 11) Virginia Tech
7) Oregon vs 10) Iowa
8) Ohio St vs 9) Georgia Tech

* LSU is actually ranked 12 in the BCS but I moved them down to avoid a rematch with Florida

Here's what a playoff would look like with all 11 conference champs and 5 at larges.

1) Alabama vs 16) Troy
4) TCU vs 13) LSU
7) Oregon vs 10) Iowa

* LSU is actually ranked 12 in the BCS but I moved them down to avoid a rematch with Florida
Dont you mean Rivals moved them down;)

Wetzel's playoff plan: Money talks - College Football - Rivals.com

1260176065.jpg

I like this idea though

You keep on saying it's not worth it and I wish you would explain why, but I know you won't. Look at it this way: You're a journalism student, right?? Say you're a sports writer at your hometown newspaper. You then get considered for a job at a big-city paper. Are you the type of person who is happy where they are or do you want to move up the ladder for bigger responsibilities and bigger pay?? Coaches have the same decisions.

ND has the resources to be a top-flight program. Who wouldn't love to try to be the savior and bring it back to importance again??

Well said. :up

1) Alabama vs 16) Troy
4) TCU vs 13) LSU
7) Oregon vs 10) Iowa

I don't think you should take conference champs. Take the 16 top ranked teams.

I don't think you should take conference champs. Take the 16 top ranked teams.
Which in turn benefits those conferences with only 1 or 2 good teams, and is detrimental to those that beat each other up.

For the NCAA to approve a playoff, all the conference champs would get automatic spots, same as done in any other NCAA playoff.

Which in turn benefits those conferences with only 1 or 2 good teams, and is detrimental to those that beat each other up.

For the NCAA to approve a playoff, all the conference champs would get automatic spots, same as done in any other NCAA playoff.

1-AA does this?

1-AA does this?
Yep, they have a 16 team playoff (expanding to 20 next year to allow for the newer Big South and Northeast Conferences to get automatic slot, same as when the B-Ball tourney added the play-in), where 8 conference champions get automatics invites (would be 10, except the Ivy League and SWAC do not participate).

... Are you the type of person who is happy where they are or do you want to move up the ladder for bigger responsibilities and bigger pay?? Coaches have the same decisions.

ND has the resources to be a top-flight program. Who wouldn't love to try to be the savior and bring it back to importance again??
Kelly would love to have the ND job, no doubt. The Chicago Tribune is reporting that he met with ND officials last week, before the Pitt game.

Coaching merry-go-round puts candidates in bad spot -- chicagotribune.com

I know it's all about him and moving up in the world, being able to recruit for ND early on, etc., but it just doesn't seem ethical to me (not that there is any ethics in sports worth mentioning). ND should at least wait until the candidate's season has ended, and the candidate should tell them to wait. Kelly dropped a notch on my respect scale.

Kelly would love to have the ND job, no doubt. The Chicago Tribune is reporting that he met with ND officials last week, before the Pitt game.
I wouldn't blame him for taking it. He's gotten Cincinnati as high as it'll ever get. Notre Dame will throw money at him if he improves them just slightly (see Weis's 18 million exit package). Cincinnati will never give him the money that Notre Dame will.\

Plus it's best to leave when you're on top, then at a program in decline.

I know it's all about him and moving up in the world, being able to recruit for ND early on, etc., but it just doesn't seem ethical to me (not that there is any ethics in sports worth mentioning). ND should at least wait until the candidate's season has ended, and the candidate should tell them to wait. Kelly dropped a notch on my respect scale.
Looks like the NCAA has created the mess:

According to the NCAA's recruiting calendar for 2009-10, a recruiter can perform in-home visits from only Nov. 29, 2009, through Jan. 30, 2010.

By moving the signing date into December, the two-week contact period would occur during the championship week for several conferences, putting teams in the conference championship at a disadvantage.

There's also the matter of what would happen to recruits who sign with a program that undergoes a coaching change in December or January.
If schools wait too long to hire a coach they lose that window for in-home visits.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=4643781"]Early signing period debated for football - ESPN[/ame]

I wouldn't blame him for taking it. He's gotten Cincinnati as high as it'll ever get. Notre Dame will throw money at him if he improves them just slightly (see Weis's 18 million exit package). Cincinnati will never give him the money that Notre Dame will.\

Plus it's best to leave when you're on top, then at a program in decline.
The problem is that these smaller programs don't have the chance to grow based on their success. Contracts are meaningless. Cincinnati is finally on the map in football, has already broken ground for a new practice facility, and is trying to secure funds to do something about their antiquated stadium. Now, starting over with a new and relatively unknown coach, recruiting will suffer, and if play declines attendance will drop and the entire program will go back into the doldrums. If longer term contracts were mandatory (long enough to give a program a chance to grow) and honored on both ends (if the coach hire turns out to be a bust, then too bad) smaller programs would have a chance.

I know this isn't reality, but it should be.

Wonder if Cincinnati could go after the Boise State coach? At least he would have a chance at the national championship then. Hopefully Kelly won't go but that is wishful thinking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)