NCAA Football 2011-2012

The Insider

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
The Swamp
Well its almost that time again! So what are your opinions of your teams strength and weakness this year? Which conference do you think is the most stacked? Whos preseason Number 1? and when are we getting a dam play off....

:amen:

The U, even with a change at the HC, look good. I am thinking 9-3. The focus is there, the talent is there, where the question is, is consistant play. The have a pretty tough schedule, but not monster.

I am really excited about my Texas Aggies for the first time in 16 years.

I didn't initially think that Mike Sherman was a good hire, but he has proven me wrong. I assumed that he would always be looking to get back to the NFL, but he has shown a real passion for the college game. Our players work ethic under him has been night and day better than under Coach Fran.

I also love our defensive coordinator Tim DeRuyter. Again, he is a guy who emphasizes work ethic. It's amazing how much players can "over achieve" in college just based on busting their @sses day in and day out. Guys that you know have no chance in the NFL can still really excel in college.

Last season Tim DeRuyter switched our defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Even with guys not really understanding the new system, he turned a terrible defense into an average one.

I am looking for good things this season!

OU will be #1 starting the season and should be ready for Florida St early. The Red River Shootout is always a toss up no matter how bad Texas or OU may be that year. The Pokes have Arizona early, after that as long as the Pokes and Sooners don't screw up against A&M it will be a great Bedlam game in Stillwater for the Big 12 title and possibly the BCS title game.

Now of course Missouri, Texas, Baylor or Tech could get frisky one week and take out one of the above 3 and prove me wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Same story in Baton Rouge. If Jordan Jefferson (or anyone with the ability) shows up to play quarterback consistently, LSU has the talent and capability to win it all. If not, 8-4 will be pushing it with the tough schedule the Tigers have this year.

Geaux Tigers!

Its really a toss up for My Gators... We have a fairly deep team with lots of talent, but its a completely new style this year. No more spread!? It will be wierd to watch the gators play.

But Brantley has 0 confidence from me at this point so its hard for me to be very percise in my judging of my team. After the first three games, 2 against lesser schools and then our first SEC opponent Tenn. Then I can see how the season will go. If we struggle in any of those 3 games and do not completely dominate both sides of the ball it will be a very long season. If we are able to man handle all 3 games, then it could get interesting..

Charlie you better be as good at offense and coaching QB's as people say and Muschamp you better get that D going.. Gator fans dont take kindly to losers, ask Zook.

After our first 4 games we have a pretty tough run, with Alabama, LSU, Auburn, GA, a break with Vandy then S Carolina. A break with Fruman then a possible ACC Champion FSU. Lets hope those first 4 warm up games get us ready.

I like Bama's chances, as they are absolutely loaded again. QB starter is still up in the air, but chances are, whoever they put back there, will spend the majority of their time handing the ball to Richardson.

I am SLIGHTLY concerned with what was a stacked backfield a month ago. Then we had two players transfer because of playing time concerns and Dee Hart had a knee injury. Still have two VERY good backups, but I would be more comfortable with one of those three guys back.

O line will be solid, so whoever is the QB SHOULD have time to settle in and make good decisions.

Where our strength will be though, as is typical of traditional Bama football, is our defense. I honestly think we have one of the best LB corps to play college football in a decade, or at least they have the potential to be. This is one very stout group, and I cant wait to see if they live up to the potential.

I think it will be hard for any team to run the table in the SEC this year, but then again we say that every year, and it still happens. Our biggest test of the season will be LSU, but we get them at home, along with Arkansas and Tenn. We have a couple of tough road games at Florida, and Miss State (they are going to be better than expected IMO, they have a really good coach). Auburn and Ole Miss are also on the road, but Ole Miss (while the game is always tough) still has a ways to go, and the Barn will drop off considerably from last year (and we honestly should have beat them then...yeah, yeah, yeah)

One game I am looking forward to is the road trip to Penn State. The game should be a good one, and much like last year, I just love the historical matchup of two old school powerhouses.

Lot's of unknowns in Ann Arbor. Howver, the Michigan football program should be heading in the right direction now that we've flushed the Rich Rodriguez experiment down the porcelain receptacle. What a disaster that fiasco turned-out to be. Also gone are Athletic Director Martin who, one day, back in 2007 though to himself, "Hmmm. Our football program has had 40+ consecutive winning seasons...let's bring in someone of questionable character and limited coaching abilities who will completely change everything we've done at the University since the hiring of Bo Schembechler."

The Big Ten should be a lot of fun this year since Ohio State fielding a new head coach and breaking in another starting quarterback. Oh, and don't forget Nebraska joining the conference. :)

UConn will be an interesting case this year.

We lost our QBs, RB, and head coach. Outside of Todman (now with the Bolts), you could easily make the case that none are a huge loss.

Our D is going to be fantastic - we did lose some key talent at LB (Both Wilson (Panthers) and Lutrus (JAX) are signed into NFL camps), but return most of our DL, one rising star LB (Sio Moore), and almost all of our defensive backfield.

ST will be strong, too - Senior PK who is clutch, and a great find in a young-former-walk-on P. We have the leading national KR (yardage) returning in Nick Williams.

Too favorable OOC, in my opinion (Fordham, @Vandy, Iowa St, @Buffalo, Western Mich), we also get the harder end of our in-conference schedule this year (@WVU, @Pitt, @Cincy). That being said, we get 4 conference home games this year, and we are, traditionally, a very very tough home team.

Haven't really done predictions yet, but I'm leaning towards something like 7-5/8-4, depending on how our QB/RB situations end up.

Ga Tech's defense will continue to suck, in an otherwise disfunctional ACC.

UGA will have yet another sub-par season (starting off by losing badly to Boise St, the Evil Genius beating us in Athens, and of course yet another loss to Florida, with the evil genius, leading to Richt's ouster.

Going to bump the real NCAA football thread up so we can all discuss together.

RTR and GO SEC!

Well Pitt has a new coach and a new offensive style. I see Pitt winning the big east this year but like always I will probably be wrong.

Sent from my galaxy....... far....... far........ away using SatelliteGuys

I am curious to see if Duron Carter can come in and make an impact at Bama. Hopefully his JC experience straightened him out.

Oklahoma No. 1 in preseason poll, Air Force just misses top 25
Comments 2
August 04, 2011 11:45 AM
NEWS SERVICES
NEW YORK — Oklahoma is the preseason No. 1 in the USA Today coaches' poll.

The Sooners received 42 of 59 first-place votes to easily outpoint No. 2 Alabama, which received 13 first-place votes. Oregon, which lost last season's BCS championship game, is third and LSU is fourth.

Air Force isn’t in the top 25, but the Falcons did get enough points to be 10th among others receiving votes – which basically puts Air Force 35th in the poll.

The Ducks and Tigers will open the season against each other at Cowboys Stadium on Sept. 3 in Arlington, Texas. They each received two first-place votes in the coaches' poll.

Florida State is fifth, followed by Stanford, Boise State, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Wisconsin.

Defending national champion Auburn starts the season ranked 19th in the coaches' poll.

After a tumultuous offseason, Ohio State is ranked 16th. Notre Dame is No. 18.

Read more: Oklahoma No. 1 in preseason poll, Air Force just misses top 25 | oklahoma, poll, air - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

USA Today Poll
RK TEAM RECORD PTS
1 Oklahoma (42) 0-0 1454
2 Alabama (13) 0-0 1414
3 Oregon (2) 0-0 1309
4 LSU (2) 0-0 1296
5 Florida State 0-0 1116
6 Stanford 0-0 1101
7 Boise State 0-0 1065
8 Oklahoma State 0-0 933
9 Texas A&M 0-0 885
10 Wisconsin 0-0 829
11 Nebraska 0-0 814
12 South Carolina 0-0 779
13 Virginia Tech 0-0 767
14 Arkansas 0-0 750
15 TCU 0-0 687
16 Ohio State 0-0 631
17 Michigan State 0-0 536
18 Notre Dame 0-0 440
19 Auburn 0-0 329
20 Mississippi State 0-0 301
21 Missouri 0-0 266
22 Georgia 0-0 260
23 Florida 0-0 240
24 Texas 0-0 162
25 Penn State 0-0 161
Others receiving votes: Arizona State 158, West Virginia 149, Utah 50, Miami (FL) 49, Iowa 41, Northwestern 30, Arizona 28, UCF 22, Michigan 19, Air Force 15, North Carolina 14, Houston 13, South Florida 9, Hawaii 8, Clemson 7, Tennessee 7, Southern Miss 6, Brigham Young 5, North Carolina State 4, NORTHERNIL 4, Oregon State 4, Pittsburgh 3, Washington 3, Nevada 1, Georgia Tech 1,

Last edited:
Oklahoma #1? I have to ask why? I would have put Oregon based on their better finish.

And Fla St. as #6? Did any of the voters watch the ACC last year.

And how do the Dawgs get ranked? They reeked last year, and I say this as a fan. As it is, Richt is on the chopping block already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts