NCAA Football 2013 Off season discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The coaches job is to teach the players how to play football. Not worry about what they do in the off time,
I certainly disagree. Also, considering that most coaches have curfews, team rules and guidelines (covering off the field behavior), and the fact that numerous players have been dismissed from countless programs for violating these rules, I would say that most coaches disagree with you as well.

or after they get out of school and graduate.. This is college. This is professional football. This is not peewee or high school where the coaches job is to also build the person as a man. When these guys get to college they are already adults and make there own choices.

I do agree that after they get out of school, they are on their own, although you do often hear of some of the more "legendary" coaches that continued to "check" in on former players, and help them out long after they left the program.

I certainly disagree. Also, considering that most coaches have curfews, team rules and guidelines (covering off the field behavior), and the fact that numerous players have been dismissed from countless programs for violating these rules, I would say that most coaches disagree with you as well.

I do agree that after they get out of school, they are on their own, although you do often hear of some of the more "legendary" coaches that continued to "check" in on former players, and help them out long after they left the program.

Could not agree with you more.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The coach is COMPLETELY responsible for what goes on with every single player under his watch. After they get out of college, it is not his responsibility, but a lot of the character as men/adults comes almost exclusively from the most immediate mentor....and for a college athletes, it would be the adult they spend the most time in those years they have gone from kids to adults, their coach.

If you believe otherwise, you are completely clueless on the influence a college coach of any sport, has on their player.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but EVERY SINGLE college coach, regardless of the sport...at one point or another, will basically state to the parents of those kids that they 'promise to take care of your son'. I got the speech coming out of high school from Mike Martin at FSU and while I was coaching some of the best baseball players in the country in baseball camps down here, I heard the kids and the parents tell me about the speech.

You do understand that these adults (not kids) spend the majority of there "coaching" time with the individual positions coaches right? So shouldnt that burden be on them? Its not the job of these coaches to raise these adults. They are adults not kids. There parents raised them, the coaches job is to coach them. If the parents did a bad job, that is not the coaches fault.

curfews and such during season, not during the summer or off time unless practice times. And they do have rules and guidelines just like any company you work for does. If I work for pepsi I cant wear my coke shirt to deliever my pepsi.. Just because there are rules/guidelines does not mean it is the coaches job to play daddy. I would think most coaches do disagree with me, and see these people as there kids and family etc. But that does not take away the point I was making which is, it is not there job. There job is to teach them how to throw a football and the plays. Its mom and dads job to teach you not to steal, do drugs etc.

You do understand that these adults (not kids) spend the majority of there "coaching" time with the individual positions coaches right? So shouldnt that burden be on them? Its not the job of these coaches to raise these adults. They are adults not kids. There parents raised them, the coaches job is to coach them. If the parents did a bad job, that is not the coaches fault.

Do you also know many of these coaches job during the off season IS TO keep tabs on alot of the players?! They (as in the coaches... and in many cases they hire some of their hometown coaches to their staffs)take their "I promise to take are of your child while away from home for the first time" speech very serious.... as they should. Why do you think every single university from division I to division III have an NCAA review team on campus that meet with coaches and the AD on a regular basis?!

You really have no idea about what a college coach coming to your house and recruiting your child say or promise...none.

curfews and such during season, not during the summer or off time unless practice times. And they do have rules and guidelines just like any company you work for does. If I work for pepsi I cant wear my coke shirt to deliever my pepsi.. Just because there are rules/guidelines does not mean it is the coaches job to play daddy. I would think most coaches do disagree with me, and see these people as there kids and family etc. But that does not take away the point I was making which is, it is not there job. There job is to teach them how to throw a football and the plays. Its mom and dads job to teach you not to steal, do drugs etc.

Curfews may not apply in the off season, but other rules do, and should. They may be out of season, but they are still a representative of the school as long as they are a member of the team. As such, Like to you with your job, they should be expected to adhere to a certain standard.
If they do not, it ultimately comes back to the boss/coach to enforce it or make sure it doesn't happen again (if they are to remain on the team)

Look, I'm not taking responsibility away from the parents to raise them, but the record at Florida shows that either Urban was a poor judge of character while being a good judge of talent, or he was soft with discipline. Or both.

It seems to have not caught up with him yet, but we're I an AD, his players off the field record history would trouble me.

Curfews may not apply in the off season, but other rules do, and should. They may be out of season, but they are still a representative of the school as long as they are a member of the team. As such, Like to you with your job, they should be expected to adhere to a certain standard.
If they do not, it ultimately comes back to the boss/coach to enforce it or make sure it doesn't happen again (if they are to remain on the team)

Look, I'm not taking responsibility away from the parents to raise them, but the record at Florida shows that either Urban was a poor judge of character while being a good judge of talent, or he was soft with discipline. Or both.

It seems to have not caught up with him yet, but we're I an AD, his players off the field record history would trouble me.

Agreed.

Lol, I give dvr s***, but our ooc schedule; because of va tech is as strong as any.

it really shows that in the last several years VT has stepped up win or lose to play hard opening games against good opponents and this year is no different. Now I do wish the outcomes would be a little better unlike the Boise St game up in DC which lost to then turn around and lose to a FCS team THEN run the table for the rest of the year which was a very weird year. Last years 7-6 season was long over due and finally gave Beamer some wake up sauce to get some new plays going from a new offensive cord. It got pretty bad when we could sit in the stands or at home and call the plays from our own team before they happened each and every play.

1st down - long bomb
2nd down - up the middle
3rd down - screen pass/up the middle
4th down - punt

same ole crap every year so lets hope this one is much different, looking forward to some new plays in the opener.

44 days until kickoff. Getting that itch again...

Yeah, then 2 weeks into it a lot of people will lose interest due to their team losing a game. LOL. (me included)

Yeah, then 2 weeks into it a lot of people will lose interest due to their team losing a game. LOL. (me included)

I just cant do that. Even our bad years, I still have to watch every week. Sometimes its like a train wreck and you just cant look away.

I just cant do that. Even our bad years, I still have to watch every week. Sometimes its like a train wreck and you just cant look away.

I understand that and I still watch the games, but the intensity behind it just isn't the same as when you are undefeated.

Undefeated or not, there are so many rivalry's in conference that everyone is hyped all season. Bedlam with OU/OSU to finish the season, Red River Shootout with OU/Texas in the Cotton Bowl during the The Texas State Fair, at mid season. Then you get OSU/Texas, OU/TCU, OSU/KSU are all big rivalry games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--will-muschamp-digs-florida-urban-meyer-era-223251417.html

turned in his old school for two secondary recruiting violations. Meyer denied it; Muschamp confirmed it:
"In both situations we were turned in by Ohio," he said. "We didn't do anything wrong. The University of Florida didn't do anything wrong. And so we appreciated our friends from Ohio making sure we're compliant with NCAA rules. They certainly know a little bit about that subject."
Ouch. Ohio State, as any college football fan knows, is under NCAA probation for violations that took place under former coach Jim Tressel.

Get em Will. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFL Hall of Fame game this Sunday!

RIP Pro Football Hall of Famer Art Donovan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts