NCAA Football 2014 season

Parity hit college football 30-40 years ago.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

NO ONE is going to convince me that the SEC is as strong as other years. The ONLY teams staying consistently "very good" is Alabama, Auburn and LSU...then there is a drop off.

I have no horse in the "conference wars" so there is no bias here... PARITY has now hit college football.

Actually, while some have stayed at the top of the heap for several years on end, the others that contend for top spots and rankings have been fairly fluid.

Starting with the 2008 final AP poll you had Florida at the top slot, with Bama at #6 and Georgia and Ole miss at #13 and 14 (looking only at the top 15)
In the 2009 final AP poll you had Bama at #1 and Florida at #3. (again only top 15)
In the 2010 version you had Auburn at #1 and LSU and Bama in the top 10 final rankings, so there are your 3. Right outside of that though you had Arkansas at 12 and State at 15.
In the 2011 final poll you had Bama and LSU at 1 and 2 (again two of the three) but Arkansas close behind at 5 and USC at 9. Auburn nowhere to be found in the poll.
In 2012 there is bama at the top slot again, but look, its Georgia and A&M tied for number 5, and USC at #8. Lsu also cracked the top 15 at #14. Auburn is once again not in the poll.
In 2013 Auburn jumps back in at #2, with USC and Missouri at #4 and #5. Bama at #7. LSU at #14.

This year you currently have Miss State in the top slot with Auburn and Bama being 3 and 4. And Ole miss at 11.

I doubt you will see anywhere close to that cycle of top ranked teams with such a diverse list in any other conference in that time frame

Actually, while some have stayed at the top of the heap for several years on end, the others that contend for top spots and rankings have been fairly fluid.

Starting with the 2008 final AP poll you had Florida at the top slot, with Bama at #6 and Georgia and Ole miss at #13 and 14 (looking only at the top 15)
In the 2009 final AP poll you had Bama at #1 and Florida at #3. (again only top 15)
In the 2010 version you had Auburn at #1 and LSU and Bama in the top 10 final rankings, so there are your 3. Right outside of that though you had Arkansas at 12 and State at 15.
In the 2011 final poll you had Bama and LSU at 1 and 2 (again two of the three) but Arkansas close behind at 5 and USC at 9. Auburn nowhere to be found in the poll.
In 2012 there is bama at the top slot again, but look, its Georgia and A&M tied for number 5, and USC at #8. Lsu also cracked the top 15 at #14. Auburn is once again not in the poll.
In 2013 Auburn jumps back in at #2, with USC and Missouri at #4 and #5. Bama at #7. LSU at #14.

This year you currently have Miss State in the top slot with Auburn and Bama being 3 and 4. And Ole miss at 11.

I doubt you will see anywhere close to that cycle of top ranked teams with such a diverse list in any other conference in that time frame

A couple of things. One, you know full well that A&M is not a traditional SEC. In fact, they are nowhere near the South East... ;) Secondly, if anything, this proves the fanboy-ism of the media when it comes to the SEC. Don't get me wrong, until Tebow..this fanboy thing USE TO BE the Big 10.

And one interesting point about this whole conference "my dad can beat up your dad" bravado. Last year, the SEC Defensive player was Michael Sam...and a few years back, the greatest player to ever play in the SEC, Tim Tebow...have either not made an NFL roster of consistently make an NFL roster. EITHER the players from the SEC are overrated, or NFL scouting is really bad...and everyone knows its more than likely the first one.

Here is the funniest thing of all, the SEC had the most players in the NFL up to date, guess what conference was JUST BEHIND the mighty SEC, yep..that 'crappy' ACC. :oldlaugh:oldlaugh
http://www.footballperspective.com/which-college-conferences-dominate-the-nfl-draft/

If the sec players are over rated then how do they have the most players in the NFL again?
And how would that jive with the "everyone knows that's likely the case"?

I'm sorry, two NFL busts just doesn't give legs to that stance.

I notice there is a pretty big drop off from the sec to the acc and everyone else in the link. That further shows why the sec has been so dominant on past years.

Y'all keep chalking it up to homerism and media bias though. Lol.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/11/07/jameis-winston-allegations-point-shaving-louisville-chris-rabb/

New reports have surfaced alleging Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston was involved in a point shaving scheme to help an old high school teammate win a $5,000 bet.

According to the report, Winston tanked the 1st half of the FSU vs. Louisville game on October 30th ... after his buddy Chris Rabb allegedly placed a bet for Louisville to be winning at halftime.

Winston's play in the 1st half was atrocious ... and FSU was down 21-7.

FSU eventually came back and won the game -- but according to the report, the final score had no bearing on Rabb's bet.

FYI -- point shaving is illegal and punishable by up to 5 years in prison.

So far, it's unclear if law enforcement is investigating -- but we're working to find out if that's the case.

Peekaboo_3ef209_845541.jpg

not in the WEST and that is what you and the rest are missing. The SEC will surely have teams that are down but there are consistently 4 or 5 that can take any other team in the top 20 EVERY YEAR. The dominance just rotates within the conference.

The ACC is such a joke. I remember past years when VT thought they could win the conferece they would schedule Bama in hopes that they could pull off an upset in the first game of the season and give credibility to the rest of their creampuff conference wins. But yet the SEC teams are criticized for doing charity work for the rest of these loser conferences by playing them when infact their SEC championship game is 9 times out of ten far more difficult than the national title game and even the loser of the SEC title game could probably beat the National title opponent.

FYI this is coming from someone who has lived in the heart of ACC country for 50 years and been inundated with their games and fans for my entire life. But it doesn't take much to face the truth. The football stinks and Arkansas who cant win a single SEC game would at least finish 2nd in the ACC losing to only FSU probably.
Keep proclaiming the sec as god.

Consistently 5 teams ... ya right.

Whens the last time Old Miss or Miss State were a top 20 team (lets make it more than 1 year) I think they this year are good, but where were they the last 5 years ?

5 teams ?
Alabama is perennial top 5-10.
LSU top 10 usually
Florida, not in the last several years.
Auburn a few years now, prior they were hit and miss.
Georgia, sometimes .... they usually do well in the east due to the lack of competition, perticualrly when Florida is down.
South Carolina ... please, they would be lucky to finish at the top of the Big Ten west, or whatever they call the other side of the BT.

All these teams have been good at one time or another but most have not been good/great for stretches more than 2 years at a time.

This proclimation that the sec is great from team 1 thru how ever many you have now (it keeps growing for some reason, go ahead, pick another very good team from another conference and add them to yours, Oregon is the top non sec team at the moment, go ahead, sign them up for the sec next year)

Well I posted the past few years top 15 rankings. Adding down to the top 25 adds more each year.

Curious how others compare each year.

This proclimation that the sec is great from team 1 thru how ever many you have now (it keeps growing for some reason, go ahead, pick another very good team from another conference and add them to yours, Oregon is the top non sec team at the moment, go ahead, sign them up for the sec next year)

Huh? What point are you trying to make here?

Why are we not talking about the possibility that FLA wins out the rest of the year including beating FSU and with some extra help (mizzu and ga getting conference losses) winning the SEC East, then Winning the SEC title game. Having beat the #1 and #2 teams in the nation to end the season do we get left out? =\

Why are we not talking about the possibility that FLA wins out the rest of the year including beating FSU and with some extra help (mizzu and ga getting conference losses) winning the SEC East, then Winning the SEC title game. Having beat the #1 and #2 teams in the nation to end the season do we get left out? =\
I started too, but they just pushed that idea out the door.

Florida wining the SEC title? ROTFLMFAO. No matter how horrendous the ACC is I don't see the Gators beating FSU. Arkansas, LSU, Auburn, Bama, Miss St, Ole Miss, definately yes but not the Gators. The Gators are a team that cant allow their team to throw the ball. Whose coach is likely to be fired and someone speculates that they could win the SEC?:oldlaugh:oldlaugh:oldlaugh:oldlaugh:oldlaugh

Keep proclaiming the sec as god.

Consistently 5 teams ... ya right.

Whens the last time Old Miss or Miss State were a top 20 team (lets make it more than 1 year) I think they this year are good, but where were they the last 5 years ?

5 teams ?
Alabama is perennial top 5-10.
LSU top 10 usually
Florida, not in the last several years.
Auburn a few years now, prior they were hit and miss.
Georgia, sometimes .... they usually do well in the east due to the lack of competition, perticualrly when Florida is down.
South Carolina ... please, they would be lucky to finish at the top of the Big Ten west, or whatever they call the other side of the BT.

All these teams have been good at one time or another but most have not been good/great for stretches more than 2 years at a time.

Ahh Reading comprehension, if only. There are always 3 or 4 GREAT SEC teams every year. Not necessarily Miss st or Ole Miss, they rotate. I recall Florida being quite good. Its a competitive conferece, I know the rest of the football conferences don't understand that. The two teams in the SEC title game are typically better than at least one opponent in the national title game. The SEC title game is often more competitive than the National title game and often the champion is decided there. Heck I remember Bama not winning the SEC title game winning the national title. That's how strong the conference is Jimmy. I would gladly add Oregon but like FSU they wouldn't come. Because they know like Bobby Bowden did that they would probably end up with 3 conference losses every year. The SEC is big boy football unlike the weak ACC or PAC 12.

Whats next? The Earth is flat?

Last edited:
Ahh Reading comprehension, if only. There are always 3 or 4 GREAT SEC teams every year. Not necessarily Miss st or Ole Miss, they rotate. I recall Florida being quite good. Its a competitive conferece, I know the rest of the football conferences don't understand that. The two teams in the SEC title game are typically better than at least one opponent in the national title game. The SEC title game is often more competitive than the National title game and often the champion is decided there. Heck I remember Bama not winning the SEC title game winning the national title. That's how strong the conference is Jimmy. I would gladly add Oregon but like FSU they wouldn't come. Because they know like Bobby Bowden did that they would probably end up with 3 conference losses every year. The SEC is big boy football unlike the weak ACC or PAC 12.

Whats next? The Earth is flat?
Hell with it ...

College football may as well do away with the sec and have them move to the NFL ... the sec teams are so good every year that they don't even have to play the game to be considered the MNC's.

The Big Ten, Pac 12, Big whatever they are now (Oklahoma and company) may as well just start thier own league, seeing that they are considered no compitition for the sec...

Go ahead sec,, have your own little championship, no one else cares.

Fwiw, try playing an away game for a change.

Playing ALL your games within 20 minutes of home in your cozy little warm city is great for you, but come out of your little world and play Oregon in Eugene in Nov. or Ohio State / Michigan State in Columbus or East Lansing in Nov. where you can wake up and walk out side and breath fresh crisp air ...

Fwiw, mid 30's tonight.

Last edited:
Who in the hell is going to play an out of conference game this time of year outside of who's playing Notre Dame??
No one!
Doesn't have anything to do with weather.

Florida wining the SEC title? ROTFLMFAO. No matter how horrendous the ACC is I don't see the Gators beating FSU. Arkansas, LSU, Auburn, Bama, Miss St, Ole Miss, definately yes but not the Gators. The Gators are a team that cant allow their team to throw the ball. Whose coach is likely to be fired and someone speculates that they could win the SEC?:oldlaugh:oldlaugh:oldlaugh:oldlaugh:oldlaugh
They have 4 games left, 3 are winnable and ya never know with the 4th one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)