Need a 2nd dish for local... but don't want to drill more holes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Dec 12, 2003
Dorchester, TX.
Becareful of adding additional wind load to your existing mount, saving the additional holes could result in a larger opening. The longer pipe is a lever with a dish mounted on top of it.

Mike500

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 7, 2003
Thiepval
This mount is for small antennas with a small sail area. A dish with a large surface area would be chancy due to increased wind load.

If your dish mounting foot was not attached correctly to solid wood with the correct screws, it would be a lot worse. Many installers use lag screws with a portion with a smooth shank. This would only spin if applied to thin sheathing. Since there are no threads in that area, the lag screws provide very little holding power.

The antenna mount industry and the garage door mount and opener industry has long ago adopted fully threaded, hex head drive hardened sheet metal screws. The dbs install industry still specifies and used cheap low strength lag screws not fully threaded along their entire length.

rad

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
Or just sink a pole in the ground and ground mount it and forget the roof completly.

mcsj

SatelliteGuys Family
May 25, 2004
Thanks for suggestions.
I had my first dish installed on the rail of my deck, so probably I will get one of those "Non-Penetrating Roof Mount" and sit the second dish on the deck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)