Need a FTA Receiver with DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

then

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
I'm new to FTA and am looking for some advice. I would like to purchase a receiver with DVR built in. I need to be able to time shift and retrieve the files from the unit's hard drive so I can burn them to DVD.

I called GloryStar about the GeoSatpro DVR1000ci, but they said I would have to remove the hard drive and plug it into a computer every time I wanted to download the files to my computer.

Are there any decent, reasonably priced units that allow for ethernet or USB retrieval of the files from the receiver's hard drive?

TIA for any help.

That's on my want-list, too.
I was disappointed when I looked into the GeoSatPro and found it didn't offer a good way to get the shows off and onto your computer.
However, that is exactly how I deal with my Dish PVR.

SonicView SV-4000 has the required features, but a member who had one a while back commented quite negatively about it and returned the thing.
They also have a SonicView SV-PVR1000 which claims two tuners, but I haven't seen anyone comment on it, yet.

The other one I found was the Conaxsat CNX-V1.
It, too, seemed moderately price.
In the beginning, it didn't have all the features I wanted, but seems a bit more mature than the first SonicView (to the best of my knowledge)
I've chatted with one user who has one, and he seems happy with it.

From my early research (and I haven't looked lately) on SonicView and Conaxsat, both seem aimed at the hacker market.
Both lack blind scan. Conaxsat seems to be a one-product company.
How well they support motors and more traditional FTA switch needs, is unknown.

You can scan the forum posts for those product brands to get more info, or look them up with Google to find vendors and additional details.
Whatever you come up with, please share it with us.
I'm still interested, though after a lot of excitement, I'm a bit worn down.

Yea, and for some people, having a stand-alone DVD recorder will do the job, too.
They have a choice of using the DVD as-is, or loading it into their computer, and editing it.
But both approaches (replay and DVD recorder) re-digitize an analog signal out of your FTA box.

I take the digital image off the hard drive of my receiver, and make DVDs that are bit-for-bit identical to what was transmitted.
They don't broadcast DVD-quality on most channels, but whatever quality it is, mine is not degraded.

I am seriously considering a DVR receiver myself. After investigating the few out there, I am thinking I am going to try the coolsat 7000. It has USB hard drive storage. I am still trying to determine what format it stores the recordings in and how it stores them

It needs to ship with an extraction program so you can pull the shows off the drive and save them as mpeg
Once that's done, editing and authoring 'em into DVDs is trivial.
Yea, I know some folks have targeted other output formats, including DivX, and whatever M$ is currently favoring for their media systems, but basic mpeg is all I want.

according to what I have read on the coolsat 7000 and the people that already have them, it's a pretty basic codec update to view the recorded program on a PC. It does record in mpeg2 with a TS extension, then from there, the conversion is up to you as far as DVD formats.

Ive got a dreambox 500 and 7000 and love them, but they dont have blindscan so I use them in conjunction with my mercury II. when I find something new on the mercury I just type the tp into my dreambox and scan it in.

dreambox 500 has really come down alot, you can get them for around $200, using your computers fileshare you can record.

the dreambox 7000/7020 has an ide port so you can record to an internal harddrive.

the 7025 has dual tuners and some slick features like downconverting HD to SD res (it doesnt do 4:2:2 though) its also really expensive. the 600pvr imo is overpriced, its a 500 with an ide port for 3x the cost.

Well I guess I need to chime in on this subject, since I have several methods of recording fta content. I first started to use a Tivo and Pansat 2500a combination. This worked well but I had to set timers on both products to do a scheduled recording, but for timeshifting, it was perfect. Then I took the plunge and took a chance on the Conaxsat CNX-V1. As was mentioned earlier, I think it was geared to the hacker market, mainly because the box doesnt have blindscan. But if you can live without that...it's a great choice for timeshifting, recording to usb, motor control is good (used it extensively with USALS for my sg2100, and 1.2 for my Vbox II controlling my C-band dish). Then, via a purchase from Iceburg, I picked up a Pansat 5000 twin tuner DVR. This encapsulates all that I really needed with blindscan, motor control, recording, the works...the box has a few minor quirks, but overall rate it good. Poor me, couldn't leave it at that though...I found a decent deal on a Relook 400s, this is a linux box that really is great! Just got it a few days ago, so I am still playing with it. 2 tuners, ethernet, intuitive interface, highly tweakable. Less a blindscan, I think it's my favorite so far. Front led readout to tell me what channel (channel name) I am on with out looking at the tv. Updates to the box via the network/web/ftp. Its a great box, it's just so customizable. Anyway... rambling again. I hope this helps you. Best bang for the buck, is the CNX in my opinion. If you like looks and functionality, with patience to experiment, the Relook would be my choice. For more fta use, i.e. the blindscan...the Pansat PVR. Now this is only based upon my experience with "these" receivers. For full disclosure...I still have these boxes.

Then I took the plunge and took a chance on the Conaxsat CNX-V1. As was mentioned earlier, I think it was geared to the hacker market, mainly because the box doesnt have blindscan.
I can pretty much guarantee that the Conaxsat was geared to the hacker market, because when I called for tech support, I was asked several times if I was using it for FTA. Also, one of the options for an LNB is "Dish Pro," and at least one review of the box includes at least a couple of screenshots of channels that aren't available FTA. :)

That notwithstanding, I had the Conaxsat box for a couple of weeks, and while I was impressed with the PVR capability, I had to return it because I could never get it to scan all of the transponders on G10R -- only one of the muxes would show up no matter what I did, even when I entered everything manually. To their credit, the company did try to help, admitted the problem and then refunded my money when they couldn't promise that a fix would be ready anytime soon.

Conaxsat Duo, et al

I had called Conaxsat a one-product-company.
Well, they've made a liar out of me.
All that success must've gone to their heads! :)

In addition to their original unit, they now have a Duo and a Trio.
After looking at both, I think the Duo is more to my liking.
It goes for around 200 USD, but being new, maybe there'll be some movement in time.
Their original has gone down in price about $40..50, now that it's got some competition.

For one thing, the Duo has two USB connectors.
I wouldn't want to plug my USB hard drive in through the front ;)
And far more importantly it's now claiming Blind Scan capability.

For all models, you add your own external USB hard drive.
That's good 'cause they no longer have to buy, warehouse, inventory, install, and mark-up the drives.
They are way too volatile a product... plus, the user gets to decide what size he wants.
I just bagged a sweet deal on some 40/60/80gb external USB units with 2.5" drives, and while I'd like bigger, these were cheap!

Very interesting the Trio plays divx files.
I see Ivision receivers are now listed for sale and in stock on many sites and they list Blind scan also.

I personally am still going to get a coolsat 7000 when it is released. I liked my experience with the 5000 and I like what I have read on the 7000 so far (it claims blind scan too). When I get it, I'll be sure to report on it

I appreciate all the info. But I guess I'll wait until I see a few more reviews before purchasing a receiver with DVR/PVR.

I just noticed that Satellite AV is now carrying the Visionsat IV 200 PVR Plus. Does anyone have this unit? How well does it work? Any chance of a review?

TIA

I just noticed that Satellite AV is now carrying the Visionsat IV 200 PVR Plus. Does anyone have this unit?
yep..got it a couple days ago

How well does it work?
you'll have to wait for a review of one ;)

Any chance of a review?

coming soon to a computer screen near you :)
(translation...give me a couple days or so to finish geting it written up and pictures :)

I didn't get the memo

Damn, I knew SatAV had a new receiver.
I didn't know review samples were already out!
This is exciting!

Thanks Iceberg. I'll be waiting patiently.

The unit does not have a hard drive built in...but can be added via USB 2.0 port :)

Havent got either a flash drive or HDD yet for it but the other functions are almost done being tested

external USB hard drive

The unit does not have a hard drive built in...but can be added via USB 2.0 port :)

Havent got either a flash drive or HDD yet for it but the other functions are almost done being tested
Not to go too far off topic, but here is a USB to IDE (hard drive) adapter I've been using for some time. *
By hooking this to a regular hard drive, and powering both with the included power supply, you can have a functional external USB hard drive.
Of course, if you're more an appliance operator than an experimenter, there are external boxes, and complete external drives with electronics.
Just wanted to give a cheap alternative to those who are so inclined.

If this link works, you will see four models of USB-to-something, to choose from.
If not, then just search on the words: usb to ide

* I use 'em to connect a PVR's hard drive to my computer.
Slide tray for the drive makes moving it around quite easy.

I'll probably get one of those external drives that I seen at best buy. Don't need anything elaborate..heck it can use those flash drives too..might scrounge up one of those first :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts