Need a new remote? Check out woot today!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Mine came today (a pleasant surprise, given the ETA on the tracking site bumped up to Saturday), and I have to say I really like it.

It's a gloss Piano Black finish, so it is definitely a fingerprint magnet, but not a biggie. The buttons are tactile (they have a nice 'click' when you press them), which is nice in a remote, but the Menu/Guide../Info/Exit buttons are on the small side. A major plus it that it has an accelerometer built in, so the screen and backlight come on as soon as you pick it up. It goes in and out of the charging stand effortlessly, and it feels good in the hand.

Programming was very easy with the software (although you have to keep connecting and disconnecting the USB cord many times during the process). It does do Directv RF, and that simply involved inputting the last 6 digits of the receiver ID (assuming you already have the box configured for RF). With the exception of my XM radio, every one of my devices was programmed by model number (ironic, since the XM is Audiovox!), and all of the original remote's special keys are available as softkeys on the LCD. You can custom map any button or softkey to do any available function if you want. You can also name the softkeys whatever you want (example: for the receiver inputs, you can name them to what device they actually connect to, rather than "Video 1", "Tape 2", etc)

The XM remote had to be learned, but this was a simple key-for-key mapping. You can create learning softkeys for any device as well. If a pre-programmed code for a particular device is missing functions, they can be learned in without having to learn the entire remote. The only oddity is that the IR receiver for learning is in the butt end. Most other learning remotes you put nose to nose or nose to side, and it took me a while to figure out why it wasn't capturing the codes. :D

Haven't gone into setting up activities, but setting up Favs is easy. The software's channel logo database is ok, but it has a lot of generics. But, you can add any gif, jpg, or png image yourself. My only real gripe is that the programming requires IE, and it is a little clunky. But it's designed to be very friendly considering it is such a powerful remote. If you have the proper interface modules, it can also be used to control home automation devices like lights, curtains, projector screens, etc, which is really cool.

I'm happy with it, although I'm still curious what the battery life is. This version doesn't take 3AAA's in a pinch, so remember to keep it charged! It would've still been a good deal at a higher price I think.

Last edited:
I got mine yesterday, but I went to the PO to pick it up. Being a former carrier, I just walked in and grabbed it from the parcel bin! I second JerseyMatt's impressions. Overall it's a nice remote, easy to program, although an awkward process. The macros are simple to setup. An excellent price, too!

Status
Please reply by conversation.