Need a new remote? Check out woot today!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Guess you never heard of Royal Mail, huh?

You mean the mail service that covers a geographical area slightly smaller than Oregon which is still fully owned by the government and has yet to earn a single penny as a private company?

Yes, we should overhaul our mail system and copy one that was just created by law two months ago...

You mean the mail service that covers a geographical area slightly smaller than Oregon which is still fully owned by the government and has yet to earn a single penny as a private company?

Yes, we should overhaul our mail system and copy one that was just created by law two months ago...

ORLY?

Royal Mail delivered 84 million items every working day and had a network of 14,376 post offices with a revenue of £9.056 billion, and profits before tax were £312 million in 2006.[8] Since that time, profits have dropped year on year – £233 million in 2006-7 falling to a £10 million trading deficit in 2007. In 2008, the BBC reported that Royal Mail's trading position had worsened to an annual loss of £279 million/yr in financial 2007.[9] For the financial year 2008-9 Royal Mail had an operating profit of £321m, with all four group businesses in a full year profit for the first time in two decades.
They turned a profit in 09-10 as well, and are down this year. But given the state of the world economy, it's to be expected.

The problem with anything related to the government is that it's NOT run like a business. It's run like it's a crack whore with a stolen credit card. Even the fact that the debt ceiling was raised AGAIN is proof positive that it's nothing more than business as usual in Washington to this day.

It's economics and business 101. But unfortunately passing those classes (without bribing for it) isn't a prerequisite for a position of power in government.

What bailouts to pay what lucrative retirement plans? I was a carrier for over 28 years. I walked for most of it, in CT, in the summer and winter. You sound like the typical complainer that thinks he knows what he is talking about, but has absolutely no idea at all.

Oh, you're telling me that your government/union job didn't include a fantastic retirement plan (which you only contributed what, 7% to?) and full lifetime benefits? BS. Neither the government nor your union would allow that. And if you notice, I did say the only ones who deserve what they get are walk-route carriers.

Last edited:
Oh, you're telling me that your government/union job didn't include a fantastic retirement plan and full lifetime benefits? BS. Neither the government nor your union would allow that.

I get 55% of my high three SALARIES, not earnings. That amount was reduced for life because I took an early out offer. The overtime I worked isn't figured into my retirement. I get benefits for life, that I continue to pay for. And just to continue with your ignorance, you don't have to belong to the union. Want to try again?

ORLY?

They turned a profit in 09-10 as well, and are down this year. But given the state of the world economy, it's to be expected.

They are not yet privatized and were only given consent to privatize on June 13th. 2011 via The Postal Services Act 2011. The fact that they turned a profit in previous years under complete government control doesn't say anything as to the future of the private company and what type of mail service they will deliver.

As of today, August 6th 2011 - they are still a wholly owned entity of the government.

That said, I am impressed that you brought up a mail service that received a HUGE government bailout at taxpayer expense. Basically, the UK picks up all liabilities (pensions etc) - the employees get stock options and the new company gets to go its way with a fresh slate on the backs of British taxpayers.

Wait, didn't you whine about that very thing a few posts ago?

Oh sure you don't have to, but who doesn't? Because if you don't, you're a sitting duck. And if they strike, you're a scab.

Oh sure you don't have to, but who doesn't? Because if you don't, you're a sitting duck. And if they strike, you're a scab.

Like Reagan said to Carter, there you go again! In the office I worked in, there were about 40 carriers, with 5 not in the union. The national average is 92.5%. That means that about 1 out of 13 aren't in the union nationally. Now, do you want to try to explain your sitting duck comment? Are you saying that union members are thugs that will brow beat non-union members? You really should stop posting in this thread, you haven't gotten much right yet.

No membership = no contract = no job/benefit/retirement security. Just like any other non-union worker. Non-union is always first to go when cuts are made because if you're union you're pretty much untouchable (which is why with union labor you get half the work at twice the price). And like I said, if they go on strike, and you don't cross the picket line, you can kiss your job goodbye. If you do cross the picket line, you're a scab.

No membership = no contract = no job/benefit/retirement security. Just like any other non-union worker. Non-union is always first to go when cuts are made because if you're union you're pretty much untouchable (which is why with union labor you get half the work at twice the price). And like I said, if they go on strike, and you don't cross the picket line, you can kiss your job goodbye. If you do cross the picket line, you're a scab.

Wow! Once again, you are completely off with your "facts". Non union postal workers have the exact same contract, rights, and job benefits as the union workers. They also get the exact same retirement. They are subject to the same lay off rules as everyone else. Postal workers are prohibited from striking, it's in the contract! Amazing, you got EVERY point wrong in your post. Care to try again?

What does any of this have to do with a remote? :rolleyes:

You are 100% right, it has nothing to do with a remote! Unfortunately, some people posted VERY incorrect "facts" about the Postal Service. I, being a retired carrier, couldn't let his ignorance go unchallenged. I apologize to all of you. I didn't mean to derail the thread.

You are 100% right, it has nothing to do with a remote! Unfortunately, some people posted VERY incorrect "facts" about the Postal Service. I, being a retired carrier, couldn't let his ignorance go unchallenged. I apologize to all of you. I didn't mean to derail the thread.

Let's just say that you're educating the public. ;)

. Postal workers are prohibited from striking, it's in the contract!

And that means what? It was illegal for the Transit Worker's Union to strike too, but that didn't stop them from shutting down New York City for 3 days a few years ago..

But whatever.

I placed my order with woot on Monday, August 1. I received an email from woot with a tracking number from fedex late Friday. The package is shipping from Dallas Texas via fedex smartpost with a shipping date of August 5 and an estimated delivery date of August 15. I live in Niagara Falls NY, so if you are closer to Dallas, you should get your package sooner.

Here is an explanation of Fedex smartpost, "When it comes to low-weight shipping for residential customers, consider the efficient, economical FedEx SmartPost service. By utilizing the United States Postal Service® (USPS) for final delivery, FedEx SmartPost reaches every U.S. address, including P.O. boxes and military APO and FPO destinations.".

Hope no one is in a big hurry for the new remote............................

Looks like mine is coming with yours by pony express. Hmmm.. mines says 15th...but might take an extra day to get across the the niagara river.

Well......to help steer this conversation back to topic............I ordered one of these from Woot about five minutes after it was posted. It has not shipped yet. I've ordered a few things from Woot. The shipping is anything but quick, but it always gets here, and it's always $5. Can't beat it.

My remote will probably be delivered via the Niagara river. I'll just go to my backyard and wait for it to float by!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.