Need advice on HR24-500

Status
Please reply by conversation.

f13dfx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
Hi all. It's been a while but I'm glad to be back.

So I have this near new unit that I can't return cuz I'm a cross-border subscriber with a U.S. address; too much hassle. I've discovered thru many tests that Tuner 1 is dead.

I would just like to ask (before I open this baby) if anyone knows if the tuner modules are the type that are interchangeable or if they're soldered-on. I'm thinking I can salvage this thing if I can get Tuner 1 working and picking-up the proper program data from Satellite 101 :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, did swapping of leads, cables & BBC's. Tuner 1 definitely "goners" :(

I have a Slimline 5 + 95 degree (international satellite) configuration which has been working fine for 5 years without a hiccup with my HR22 :)

Hi all. It's been a while but I'm glad to be back.

So I have this near new unit that I can't return cuz I'm a cross-border subscriber with a U.S. address; too much hassle. I've discovered thru many tests that Tuner 1 is dead.

I would just like to ask (before I open this baby) if anyone knows if the tuner modules are the type that are interchangeable or if they're soldered-on. I'm thinking I can salvage this thing if I can get Tuner 1 working and picking-up the proper program data from Satellite 101 :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

You must be using a US address, yes? Why not use it to get a replacement sent there?

I was thinking of doing just that BUT wouldn't they send a serviceman to dropoff & install the replacement receiver?

I was thinking of doing just that BUT wouldn't they send a serviceman to dropoff & install the replacement receiver?

Ask them to ship it to that address and you will do the swap out yourself. The box they send it in should be the same one to return the old one.

raoul5788 said:
Ask them to ship it to that address and you will do the swap out yourself. The box they send it in should be the same one to return the old one.

When I phone DirecTV, what department should I talk to?

I don't think it matters, just be sure that they ship it to your billing address. BTW, don't be surprised if you get a new two year commitment out of it. Without having it determined for certain by Directv that the box is defective, you will get a new commitment. Maybe you could get them to say it's bad. That way it wouldn't extent or start a new commitment.

Well I called DirecTV and the customer service person that answered said that because it was a 771 "searching for satellite" error message, their policy is to send a service technician out to verify the problem and then swap my defective receiver with a working one :(

Can anyone recommend a service techinician who I can send the receiver to fix Tuner1? I am willing to pay for a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance!

You could try calling back and saying the unit is dead, that it won't power up at all. That should get them to ship it to you. The fact that you have already called and said you have a 771 issue may complicate things though. They might be suspicious of your latest call, but then again, it may work!

yeah. do u have any other hd receivers on your account
if not just instruct the person there to pick it up that they just need the reciever to replace another thats not there. slip him a 20 and alls well. if you have another hd on the same account he will need a sucsess code to close the service call and i doubt he will do it

its a new 1 yr commitment on a service call replacement. kinda crappy for a replacement on a defect, but thats just how it is

did u see my first reply?? been doin this for alittle bit now. may depend on who u get, its luck of the draw. not the techs fault. dtv may mail u one, not usually. if its the only hd u have its no problem ........ depending on who u get.
where is the "mailing addy" ??

Status
Please reply by conversation.