Need good advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ageism

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 2, 2006
Now I am scared. I have been a E customer for 7 years and after numerous problems with them I want to go to D. I will eat 6 months lease fee at 13.33 a month. I hate them so much it will be worth it. The only good thing about E is the 625 receiver. Sure it has some shortcomings but I love it. Programming is programming I can live with either providers packages. At this time in my life I am not interested in HD. DVR is a must. I plan having two r15s, one for my son upstairs and mine. After going on the net and reading this forums remarks about D’s R 15 I am worried I will hate it and get screwed again and with a two year commitment. Is the r 15 really as bad as people say? I know most of you all have never experience the 625 but it is a sweet receiver. I would appreciate your feedback. With all these problems with both D and E maybe I should throw my tv in the creek and go to the library. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I had a dish 522, that was a pretty buggy box.........

Regardless, my parents installed 3 R15s (i hope you mean r15) about 4 months ago... actually I installed them... anyhow, dad uses 2 of them religiously but has not had any problems.

I had the 522 and 625. I liked the 625 better. It wasn't as buggy as the 525. That being said, if you think that the 625 is a great box (as I did) you may not be as happy with the R15. It's pretty buggy and can be quite frustrating at times. But progress is being made (slowly but surely) and I think this box may have a future as bright as the 625. But right now it reacts slowly to the remote and freezes up frequently. This box is as buggy (if not more so) than the 525 used to be. And there are notable features missing that the 625 has like PIP, dual buffers and RF support (though that is coming). But beta software releases are coming out almost weekly and the R15 is improving in stability with each release. So I think that the future is getting brighter for this box.

Now I am scared. I have been a E customer for 7 years and after numerous problems with them I want to go to D. I will eat 6 months lease fee at 13.33 a month. I hate them so much it will be worth it. The only good thing about E is the 625 receiver. Sure it has some shortcomings but I love it. Programming is programming I can live with either providers packages. At this time in my life I am not interested in HD. DVR is a must. I plan having two r15s, one for my son upstairs and mine. After going on the net and reading this forums remarks about D’s R 15 I am worried I will hate it and get screwed again and with a two year commitment. Is the r 15 really as bad as people say? I know most of you all have never experience the 625 but it is a sweet receiver. I would appreciate your feedback. With all these problems with both D and E maybe I should throw my tv in the creek and go to the library. Thanks for your help.

I would believe you answered your own question?.Stay with E*.;)

If you are looking to come to Directv for the R15 then my advice is stay with Dish Network. If you are looking for sports and tons of new HD coming and Directv has your local market in HD, then its a no brainer for Directv and the HR20. But the R15 shouldn't be compelling to anyone. Didn't say its a bad unit, but not enough to drive anyone to a new provider and commitment.

It would be good, if you noted the nature of your problem with dish. If it is with the install or physical hardware, there has been a lot of horror stories with DirecTV, also. If it is with service, DirecTV installs are scheduled way in advance, and the wait can be long.

DirecTV often offers repair services for FREE, but that extends the two year commitment over again.

If it is with service, DirecTV installs are scheduled way in advance, and the wait can be long.
This appears to vary depending where your at.
When I had D* out for the original install it took about 3 days and they were there.
I have had a few sevice calls with D* and each time they were out within a reasonable timeframe.

I have over all had pretty good experiences with D*

Jimbo

DirecTV installs are scheduled way in advance, and the wait can be long.

Not a universal problem at all. Probably depends on your location. My installs (three of them), have been scheduled within a week of my request and executed as scheduled.

As far as installation time goes, I think it really does matter where you are. Last week, a neighbor of mine signed up for DirecTV with a local dealer. He ordered it on saturday and it was installed on monday and they did a very nice job too. Granted, maybe they had a cancellation or something, but normally around here people should be able to get it installed within a week or so.

Status
Please reply by conversation.