need help aiming my new dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dlittrell

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
Missouri
ok ive tried everything i can think of been at it all day after noon. Im aiming for my true south sat 91*w . My bsc621 lnb is sitting with the 0 on the left side and my switch box is at the 4 oclock position. Also my focal depth is set correctly. My pole is plum just so you know my location is 37.74* latitude, long. -90.40*. I am using one of those angle finders from the hardware store (the yellow one). Starting at 0 on the gauge i set my polar axis to 37.7 and my declination down 5.2 degrees to 32.5. Im having alot of problems figuring out if i did it right i have tried several angles. If someone could give the correct angles or something that would be good i have tried and tried to figure them out and none seem to work. Only thing i think might be against me is i have a power line running next to my dish and a transformer near my dish. My GeosatPro MicroHD shows signal level of 45% but 0% quality. So i take it my lnb is working but i just dont have signal. Is my problem the transformer and power lines or am i doing something wrong?

Double check that your dish elevation is 90-37.7=52.3 degrees. 0 degrees elevation would be horizontal, and 90 degrees is straight up.

Getting the angles set can be confusing as the perpendiculars are sometimes swapped. I'll just post this picture. It's pretty self explanatory. Have a better tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20054.jpg
    20054.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 200
The face of the reflector at the peak of the arc should be set to approx. 46.3 degrees (polar angle + declination) and aim for 91w.

The skew should be set to zero (looking inside the Feedhorn) the probes should be straight vertical and horizontal.

Attached is a aiming sheet from GeoSatFinder website:
http://geosatfinder.com

The microHD should be set to TP 4014 H 6620 (one of strongest).

With a small TV next to the dish, sweep 10 degrees on either side of magnetically corrected south (approx. 182). If no Signal Quality reading, increase or decrease 1 degree increments and repeat the sweeping action.

Double check that your dish elevation is 90-37.7=52.3 degrees. 0 degrees elevation would be horizontal, and 90 degrees is straight up.
Thanks for clearing it up for me, its raining so i cant take my tv and stuff outside and get it perfect but i turned up the volume in the house and listened to the sound and i got Ku band on my due south sat so at least i got something, i will work on it more when it clears up but for now i have something. Showing 90% signal level and 84% quality with light rain outside and im watching some channels CW on 12180v/ 28799Thanks for everyone else's replys too!!! :)

CW on 91W is C band. 3720 H 28800 Think you have your LNB programming off.
5150 -3720 = 1430
12180 - 1430 = 10750 This the L.O. pgmmd??

CW on 91W is C band. 3720 H 28800 Think you have your LNB programming off.
5150 -3720 = 1430
12180 - 1430 = 10750 This the L.O. pgmmd??

Ok using my GeosatPro Microhd and bsc621 c/ku lnb (motor is not hooked up or set up yet)

My screen showes

Satellite: 91w K G17
Transponder: 12012 v 19750
LNB LO: 10750
Diseqc 1.0: disable, Diseqc 1.1 Disable
22k: off (if i turn it on i lose signal)
Motor (none)
Signal Level 90% (steady)
Signal Quality 72%-75% (light rain outside)

When i switch over to 91w c band my settings are

Satellite: 91w C G17
Transponder: 4014 H 6619
LNB LO: 5150
Diseqc 1.0 Disable, Diseqc 1.1 Disable
22k: On
Motor (none)
Signal Level 45% (steady)
Signal Quality 0% (steady)

Ok i looked at sathint and did some googleing and figured out my lnb was 45* off where it should be so i turned it and now 91 is coming in like it should with the cw channels on c-band, my signal quality is now at about 85%. Thanks for your help im sure ill need more of it, lol :)

Last edited:
Good that now you have signal on 91.

Now I would take note of the other nearby (in a longitudinal sense) satellites and how many counts or clicks you go from 91w to get them. This will be to establish how many counts per degree are on your system.

I note you use the term "due south" satellite, but your longitude is .6 degrees off of it. This is exactly where I went wrong starting out in this hobby and why I think the better term is "southernmost". To best get the entire arc, you should get your dish to the zenith position, and then multiply your counts per degree by .6. Then move the dish that many counts west. Then using only elevation and turning the whole thing on your pole, you get your best signal on 91. What happens when you have your dish at zenith and aimed at a satellite that is not exactly due south, is that you get the satellites in the middle of the arc, but lose them at the far east and west ends of your travel.

I don't know if your receiver has a beep on scan function, but if it does, I doubt you will find a more efficient way to aim your dish. You get wireless radio frequency headphones (cheap - 10 to 15 bucks). You set your receiver to a hot transponder and beep function. Then plug your sending unit into your audio out on your receiver. When you go out to your dish, with your headphones on, you just move your elevation and swivel on your pole until you get your strongest signal.

I have used this method half a dozen times, and I never have to readjust for my far east or west satellites.

Good that now you have signal on 91. Now I would take note of the other nearby (in a longitudinal sense) satellites and how many counts or clicks you go from 91w to get them. This will be to establish how many counts per degree are on your system. I note you use the term "due south" satellite, but your longitude is .6 degrees off of it. This is exactly where I went wrong starting out in this hobby and why I think the better term is "southernmost". To best get the entire arc, you should get your dish to the zenith position, and then multiply your counts per degree by .6. Then move the dish that many counts west. Then using only elevation and turning the whole thing on your pole, you get your best signal on 91. What happens when you have your dish at zenith and aimed at a satellite that is not exactly due south, is that you get the satellites in the middle of the arc, but lose them at the far east and west ends of your travel. I don't know if your receiver has a beep on scan function, but if it does, I doubt you will find a more efficient way to aim your dish. You get wireless radio frequency headphones (cheap - 10 to 15 bucks). You set your receiver to a hot transponder and beep function. Then plug your sending unit into your audio out on your receiver. When you go out to your dish, with your headphones on, you just move your elevation and swivel on your pole until you get your strongest signal. I have used this method half a dozen times, and I never have to readjust for my far east or west satellites.
Ok ill work on that probably tomorrow hopefully it wont be raining. Thanks.

Satellite: 91w K G17
Transponder: 12012 v 19750

LNB LO: 10750
Diseqc 1.0: disable, Diseqc 1.1 Disable
22k: off (if i turn it on i lose signal)

Satellite: 91w C G17

Transponder: 4014 H 6619

LNB LO: 5150
Diseqc 1.0 Disable, Diseqc 1.1 Disable
22k: On

If I;m not mistaken, you have the switch setting here reversed.
22Khz Off is C band, 22Khz ON is Ku.
The 120012 v 19750 doesn't match any published
doing a bit of math 12012 - 10750 =
1262 ; 5150 - 1262 = 3888
3888 V 19750 Is published.
http://www.lyngsat.com/Galaxy-17.html

Reverse your 22khz switch settings, remove the tp;'s you've got scanned in and blind scan again. Both C and Ku. Think you'll find then that what you scan in will jive with real world published.

Just saw this:
91 is coming in like it should with the cw channels on c-band,
So you must have already done this??

If I;m not mistaken, you have the switch setting here reversed.
22Khz Off is C band, 22Khz ON is Ku.
The 120012 v 19750 doesn't match any published
doing a bit of math 12012 - 10750 =
1262 ; 5150 - 1262 = 3888
3888 V 19750 Is published.
http://www.lyngsat.com/Galaxy-17.html

Reverse your 22khz switch settings, remove the tp;'s you've got scanned in and blind scan again. Both C and Ku. Think you'll find then that what you scan in will jive with real world published.

Just saw this:
So you must have already done this??

I had to turn my lnb 45 degrees counterclockwise, what made me think of that was like you said the frequencies were wrong but also they scanned in as V when they should have been H so i thought i should rotate my lnb. And yes 22k off for c-band and on for ku band. I decided to google some pictures of the lnb installed and that confirmed my idea to rotate the lnb so i marked the depth and just turned it. Now Everything scans in correctly.

Ok so update on my system... I have it motorized and grounded. Still need to fine tune it because im not getting alot of transponders i should or could but im able to motor to several different sats. and get about 20 channels so thats ok for now. I know my mounting it on the deck is not the best option but it will work till the summer when i can dig a hole and set a pole, also im out of funds at the moment. I do have alot of blocks to put on the deck to weight it down so that will help, the deck weighs about 300 lbs. without the dish on it. Here are some pictures.
2013-02-06 15.01.09.jpg2013-02-06 15.01.25.jpg

First little wind storm, and that thing is going head over heels!

I suggest you at least buy some farm fence posts, ($5 a piece or so) and drive them into the ground almost all the way at an angle, away from each corner. Then, run guy wire from the sat.pole to each fence post, and use turnbuckles in the middle to crank them tight all around. That should help.

I didn't see the blocks on it in the picture so maybe he made the picture first. With some good weight and luck he may be ok until he gets it in the ground-provided there isn't a lot of wind. Those dishes will catch the breeze!

I had same dish on two inch thick by thirty six inch diameter concrete pad. It was there for three years and never moved. Put a bunch of concrete blocks or sand bags that outta hold til you can dig

I didn't see the blocks on it in the picture so maybe he made the picture first. With some good weight and luck he may be ok until he gets it in the ground-provided there isn't a lot of wind. Those dishes will catch the breeze!

The blocks are not on it because im been lazy and watching tv, lol. I will put them on monday its not supposed to storm any time soon. Also i put up a weather station so ill be able to tell how strong the wind is.

The blocks are not on it because im been lazy and watching tv, lol. I will put them on monday its not supposed to storm any time soon. Also i put up a weather station so ill be able to tell how strong the wind is.

Ok, but you have been warned. I hope you are right, and nothing happens...

Is this the Standard or Universal bsc621, mine is universal and I set the Lo to 10600 not 10750. Was also wondering about Diseqc 1.0 port setting, Port 1 for C and Port 2 for Ku. I'm not familiar with the orange bsc621 so my input may not apply.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts