need help asap please

Status
Please reply by conversation.

adog

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
i'm not sure if you guys will understand this but i'm having a major problem and i need help. ok this is what is going on. i just upgraded to a kaku dish and got a h20-700. i also have 2 tivo boxes not HD and 4 old boxes. when i connect everything i loose every other HD channel from 70 and up. i changed the hd box and directv came out twice and have no clue what to do. when i take out 4 of the wires that are going into the switch it starts working again. if i plug any one of those 4 wires to the switch the hd channels go out again. anyone have any clue what can be going on and how i can fix it?:confused:

What switch do you have? It sounds like you might not have the proper switch for the new setup.

i tried the one that they gave me and also a terk. both the same problem

the one they gave me is a 6x8 and the terk is a 5x8

So what happens when you take each of the 4 cables coming from the sat to the multiswitch and connect them directly to the wires going to your HD receivers?

It may be a bad connection on one cable, a bad LNB in the dish, or even a problem with the grounding. Also, with the cables connected to the switch, what are your signal strengths? Are they different when you do a direct connect from the dish?

Switches are cascaded. Installing the older switch kills the even transponders.

You need 4 Hi-frequency splitter and 2 6X8 switches.
Or 6X16 multiswitch.

Sounds like a bad or incorrect switch. A 4x8 switch can not be used on an HD system. Also, check to make sure the B-Band converters are installed on the HD units that come with them.

You can use a 4X8 it just not approved for KAKU installs due to the frequency. That not his problem though.

So what happens when you take each of the 4 cables coming from the sat to the multiswitch and connect them directly to the wires going to your HD receivers?

It may be a bad connection on one cable, a bad LNB in the dish, or even a problem with the grounding. Also, with the cables connected to the switch, what are your signal strengths? Are they different when you do a direct connect from the dish?

when i connect direct it works. the funny thing is that if i have all of the boxes connected (when every other hd channel goes out) or only the hd box i am getting a great signal strenghts they are in the 90 on all 101 110 119. the thing is when i have them all connected when i go to the test channels 490 and 491 work 492 and 493 switch of working and not working

can it be that some of the reicevers are bad and are causing the problem

i dont think its the multiswitch because even if i only have the HD reciever and one of the bad wires coming out of my 6x8 it still gives me the same problem.

possible reasons

well, you might have a bad switch... also could be one of your boxes causing intereference.. this is what you can do, call DTV and ask for a senior techn. explain that to the repesentative and they will write it like that to the HSP (home service provider) Senior techn's do more than standard tech's. if they have to replace the whole installation or faulty IRD's, they will. IRD= integrated receiver device

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)