need help..decieved and lied to

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cband

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
Prescott,AZ
Just had D installed 12/1. On the web page and on the receiver menu they say "at no extra charge" we get 400 new releases PLUS up to 4,000 shows and movies. It turns out that is not the case. Is this deception or what am I missing here?

Jeff

are you talking about the video on demand stuff?
If so you need a HD DVR and an ethernet connection to get it. SOme of the new releases there is a fee but there is LOTS of free video on demand stuff. I wish I had a faster internet connection to download more :)

Just had D installed 12/1. On the web page and on the receiver menu they say "at no extra charge" we get 400 new releases PLUS up to 4,000 shows and movies. It turns out that is not the case. Is this deception or what am I missing here?

Jeff

They probably mean "Access to the content at no extra charge" but if you want to watch it, that's a different matter lol! Just like the old Radio Shack ads from about a decade ago. They would describe a product and say "On sale now at Radio Shack" There was no sale, it was full price. What they meant was "They are now available for purchase".

Hi this if Rob from Directv Customer Care, I see you have a problem with our Video on Demand service.
DOD ( Directv on Demand ) now CinemaPlus , when connected to the internet has a library of over 4,000 titles that out of that 4k about 80% is free content.
We do offer a few options as far as hooking your HDDVR to the internet via wireless adapter or via our new DECA adapters that work though coaxial cabling.
To learn more about these options give us a call at 1-800-531-5000, as always thank you for choosing Directv.

(PS if anyone wonders where the real stonecold is well he is in protest of the robots in the other forum)

It's all hooked up and all ready to go. Internet speed Ice is 7mbs. But...the CSA who signed us up, and 3 different places on the Cinema Plus page state that their are 400 new movies PLUS up to 4,000 shows and movies available for NO EXTRA CHARGE. To me no extra charge means just that... There is no where that we saw that they charged per movie or show. I can see the new releases being charged for that's not a problem. One supervisor last night told me that the free stuff is on channels I already get, like FX and Lifetime. I almost blew a gasget (but not at her). When a company is not clear on what no extra charge is, it's deception imho. I spent $70 on a router in order to get free stuff that's already in my package.

Jeff

It's all hooked up and all ready to go. Internet speed Ice is 7mbs. But...the CSA who signed us up, and 3 different places on the Cinema Plus page state that their are 400 new movies PLUS up to 4,000 shows and movies available for NO EXTRA CHARGE. To me no extra charge means just that... There is no where that we saw that they charged per movie or show. I can see the new releases being charged for that's not a problem. One supervisor last night told me that the free stuff is on channels I already get, like FX and Lifetime. I almost blew a gasget (but not at her). When a company is not clear on what no extra charge is, it's deception imho. I spent $70 on a router in order to get free stuff that's already in my package.

Jeff

Jeff,
The difference is, now you get the shows when YOU want them instead of when they are programmed to be on.
Thats the way I look at On Demand.
Not stuff I couldn't get .

It's all hooked up and all ready to go. Internet speed Ice is 7mbs. But...the CSA who signed us up, and 3 different places on the Cinema Plus page state that their are 400 new movies PLUS up to 4,000 shows and movies available for NO EXTRA CHARGE. To me no extra charge means just that... There is no where that we saw that they charged per movie or show. I can see the new releases being charged for that's not a problem.
on the front page of the D* site it does say the new releases there is a charge (see pic below)...also the....um...adult offerings are also charged. But most isn't.
Now some of the offerings are not available if you do not sub to that channel (ie: Showtime)

One supervisor last night told me that the free stuff is on channels I already get, like FX and Lifetime. I almost blew a gasget (but not at her). When a company is not clear on what no extra charge is, it's deception imho. I spent $70 on a router in order to get free stuff that's already in my package.

Yes there is lots of free programming on the channels. But they are episodes that you may have missed or accidentally deleted from the DVR. Me personally like the music videos on CMT, Fuse and VH1 classic

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 188

Jeff

Not trying to make light, but you didn't spend the $70 on a router just for this.. On broadband you should've had a router in the first place to protect your computer from the outside world. You computer should NEVER be connected directly to a broadband modem.. :)

But basically yes, the New Releases are PPV, and the other up to 4,000 are things that are currently in rotation on the channels you subscribe to. Pretty much every channel now has an On Demand that is included FREE, even the premiums (most, if not all cable companies charge $5 per channel for premium On Demand!). You just add '1' in front of the channel number to access it from you (or, go into the guide and scroll from channel 1000) from your DVR. Once you initiate a download, it is visible on the MRV list and can be watched on any MRV receiver. As Ice said, it is great for getting to watch stuff you might've bumped from the DVR or forgot to record, especially if you're a series buff because those are usually on the VOD the morning after they air.

Now that explains it better than the web site! Anyway, the wording is what got us. And our internet speed in NOT 7mbs it's 7kbs! Thanks all for clarifying.

Jeff

Now that explains it better than the web site! Anyway, the wording is what got us. And our internet speed in NOT 7mbs it's 7kbs! Thanks all for clarifying.

Jeff

7kbs?!?!?!? Are you on dial up? Really though, I very much like the Cinema Direct service for the reasons mentioned as well as the fact that if you have kids and they want to watch something in particular which might not be on at the moment, if is easy to find. In fact, I used to keep Netflix just for the streaming content if nothing else, however, with Cinema Direct, I just put my account on hold.

JerseyMatt said:
Not trying to make light, but you didn't spend the $70 on a router just for this.. On broadband you should've had a router in the first place to protect your computer from the outside world. You computer should NEVER be connected directly to a broadband modem.. :)

But basically yes, the New Releases are PPV, and the other up to 4,000 are things that are currently in rotation on the channels you subscribe to. Pretty much every channel now has an On Demand that is included FREE, even the premiums (most, if not all cable companies charge $5 per channel for premium On Demand!). You just add '1' in front of the channel number to access it from you (or, go into the guide and scroll from channel 1000) from your DVR. Once you initiate a download, it is visible on the MRV list and can be watched on any MRV receiver. As Ice said, it is great for getting to watch stuff you might've bumped from the DVR or forgot to record, especially if you're a series buff because those are usually on the VOD the morning after they air.

Keep in mind its got to be something currently on.... ex. NCIS is on USA a lot, but you can't go to USA 1242 and get NCIS any episode, due to the fact that it is in season on CBS.

7kbs?!?!?!? Are you on dial up? Really though, I very much like the Cinema Direct service for the reasons mentioned as well as the fact that if you have kids and they want to watch something in particular which might not be on at the moment, if is easy to find. In fact, I used to keep Netflix just for the streaming content if nothing else, however, with Cinema Direct, I just put my account on hold.

Ok, I messed up...it's 7mbs, hey I've played Santa for the past 2 weeks and working very late! I'm beat! The thing is (and I told the supervisor this) D is speaking with a forked tongue, one person says one thing another disputes it and says another. A CSA told us that Starz/Showtime is part of our package, another said no it's not. I'm sure it will get figured out.

Jeff

Ok, I messed up...it's 7mbs, hey I've played Santa for the past 2 weeks and working very late! I'm beat! The thing is (and I told the supervisor this) D is speaking with a forked tongue, one person says one thing another disputes it and says another. A CSA told us that Starz/Showtime is part of our package, another said no it's not. I'm sure it will get figured out.

Jeff

Starz and Sho are probably free for 3 months. After that you will have to pay for it, so its a yes and no answer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)